★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: FTD Bryant
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 11.7 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Build towers, collect resources, call upon friendly creatures, and use magic to defeat wave after wave of the Evil Gnomes!

Unlock a broad range of features as you journey through the challenging levels. Very few will reach the Gold Stages, even fewer will beat them!

+ Tons of unlockable features.
+ 3 Schools of Magic.
+ 18 Unique Combat Towers.
+ Multiple Upgrades for each Tower.
+ Various Enemies with special abilities.
+ Resource gathering system.
+ Controllable friendly gnomes.
+ Spell casting.
+ Level progression system.

And more!

Frase1987's comments:
Hey all, I've been trying to make a Tower Defence game with a ton of unlockable features, a clear progression system, and none of that in-app purchase stuff (I think I saw one company charging $2 for a new MAP???).

I hope you can all spare a moment to check it out!

Build towers, collect resources, call upon friendly creatures, and use magic to defeat wave after wave of the Evil Gnomes!

Unlock a broad range of features as you journey through the challenging levels. Very few will reach the Gold Stages, even fewer will beat them!

+ 3 Schools of Magic.
+ 18 Unique Combat Towers.
+ Multiple Upgrades for each Tower.
+ Various Enemies with special abilities.
+ Resource gathering system.
+ Controllable friendly gnomes.
+ Spell casting.

App Store:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/evil-gnomes/id498798653?ls=1&mt=8

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMFAY...ature=youtu.be

Promo Codes:
NXTEWXELRFEE
J4L7JE7YEWK6
EK4KJPN9J9H3
(sorry running low!)

Thanks for showing interest! Happy playing.
02-09-2012, 03:31 PM

02-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Took the middle code. Here is my feedback:

(1) graphics need polish;

(2) 50 lives on the first map plus brutal difficulty is odd, particularly for the first map. I tried and failed twice. Most TDs have fewer lives and start out easier, so you get sucked in before the difficulty ramps up;

(3) The constant damage fire tower seems fairly weak, and its upgrade is stone, which is not available on the first map. I was quite annoyed when I discovered that on my own;

(4) Pinch/pull to zoom is fairly standard and useful;

(5) Tower damage figures would be nice to see.

(6) Why are there only six maps? What is the point of a multi-level/massive upgrade system if there are only six maps?

(7) This is a subtle one, but the feel is just a little off. For example, the tower that fires a stun beam fires so slowly and has such good range that it is typically firing outside the range of my damage towers, then the mob comes in range, and its still reloading. Yeah, I'm sure I could plan for this...on my third play through of level 1...but my point is that it just doesnt feel intuitive, work like most TDs do.

I think there is some potential here, but you need to do some tweaking. I dont know that a brutally difficult first map is a good idea . . . not even Geodefense did that.

Currently addicted to Clash Royale

Last edited by ArtNJ; 02-09-2012 at 05:30 PM.
02-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Hi, cheers for the feedback I appreciate it.

There are 6 levels for each stage of difficuty, thus once you pass the bronze stages you'll unlock the silver.

The difficulty was tested with quite a few people, though admittingly they are massive tower defence fans. Generally it's the case that once you get the rythm, the first level will seem pretty easy.

I do however agree that the difficulty level needs to be more gradual, and I will look to make changes in this area.

I will also consider reducing the Tesla Tower's range and increasing the rate of fire so it "stuns whilst you kill". In addition I may make the Chain Tower's first upgrade not require stone, that in itself was supposed to be a 'teaser' for level 2, but I understand it may be seen as frustrating.

Thanks.

Last edited by Frase1987; 02-09-2012 at 08:42 PM.
02-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frase1987 View Post
Hi, cheers for the feedback I appreciate it.

There are 6 levels for each stage of difficuty, thus once you pass the bronze stages you'll unlock the silver.

The difficulty was tested with quite a few people, though admittingly they are massive tower defence fans. Generally it's the case that once you get the rythm, the first level will seem pretty easy.

I do however agree that the difficulty level needs to be more gradual, and I will look to make changes in this area.

I will also consider reducing the Tesla Tower's range and increasing the rate of fire so it "stuns whilst you kill". In addition I may make the Chain Tower's first upgrade not require stone, that in itself was supposed to be a 'teaser' for level 2, but I understand it may be seen as frustrating.

Thanks.
Your welcome. I am not a huge fan of the harder TDs such as Geodefense, and do better with the casual TDs, so the difficulty may not be a big deal for some. I'll give it another go as well and let you know of any other thoughts, from the casual TD fan's perspective.

02-10-2012, 05:33 AM
Turns out you may have a point as lots of people are struggling with the brutes!

If anyone else can offer any opinion regarding the difficulty, I'd really appreciate it before uploading an update.
02-10-2012, 06:12 AM
I did clear it on the third try, but with only 1 life left. That is the right difficulty (maybe not for level 1) if you are going for the Geodefense type crowd. BUT, am I missing the ability to cast some spell? Maybe I went through the tutorial too quick? Or you dont get the spells until later? What are the blue "coins" for?

Last edited by ArtNJ; 02-10-2012 at 06:14 AM.
02-10-2012, 06:16 AM
You start with only one spell depending on the school of magic you chose.

The blue coins are mana as displayed at the bottom. When you gain sufficient mana select a spell from the top and tap the road to cast it where you wish.

I'll extend the tutorial to cover this a little more. Well done for clearing it
02-10-2012, 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frase1987 View Post
You start with only one spell depending on the school of magic you chose.

The blue coins are mana as displayed at the bottom. When you gain sufficient mana select a spell from the top and tap the road to cast it where you wish.

I'll extend the tutorial to cover this a little more. Well done for clearing it
Thx, but it seems that it may not be as hard as I thought given that I did it without spells!

02-10-2012, 06:27 AM
I don't think I've done it without spells... tempted to make it harder :P

They're only supposed to be a slight help anyway really.