★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Challenging Puzzle Warehouse Game

02-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to JRavey
Challenging Puzzle Warehouse Game

Dimension Q, which is my very small indie studio will soon be releasing Puzzle Warehouse for OSX on the App Store and I wanted to take a moment to introduce it to people.

It's something like Sokoban, but more granular. Sokoban has the player and crates moving on grid where everything is the same 1 unit size and moves 1 unity at a time. To understand this better, the player is 6x6, the crates are 10x10, and the movement is handled in 1 unity increments. This allows for some complex puzzles.

Many of today's games are too easy, in response Warehouse is quite challenging. It's not unforgiving, you can rewind the game and go back to where you made your mistake, but the best score would be done without using the rewind feature.

Before I drag this on too long, I'm including a sample screenshot. The puzzles are hard, but they're not as difficult as they look at first. The graphics are colorful, but don't let that lead you into thinking it's an easy game. If you'd like more information, you can read about it @ http://dimensionq.com/warehouse/.

I'm quite approachable, you can hit me up here, Twitter, or on Facebook if you have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Warehouse 33.png
Views:	4
Size:	348.4 KB
ID:	41344  
02-09-2012, 06:48 PM
I always like these types of puzzlers. Almost anything that does NOT have a timer is an interest to me... I lost my twitch reflexes a few years ago (at least they are a lot slower than they were when I was younger....)

When you planning on releasing it? And any plans for the advices? I play almost nothing on my computer these days... almost strictly either console, or iDevice... Good luck with the development, and I wish you success!

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer

02-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Thank you for the questions.

There's no timer. Originally it had one, but I don't like the idea of rushing people to finish what's ultimately a puzzle based on efficiency. It's just too distracting to think about time ticking away against you when you're supposed to be thinking.

It should be out on OSX later this month at the latest, but that's up to Apple. The code is actually in place for iOS devices, but that release is going to be a little behind the OSX release. In the iOS App Store, it's easy to quickly sink to the bottom, so this time the strategy is to try and be a less small frog in a small pond on the OSX App Store first.

Last edited by JRavey; 02-09-2012 at 10:58 PM.
02-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRavey View Post
Thank you for the questions.

There's no timer. Originally it had one, but I don't like the idea of rushing people to finish what's ultimately a puzzle based on efficiency. It's just too distracting to think about time ticking away against you when you're supposed to be thinking.

It should be out on OSX later this month at the latest, but that's up to Apple. The code is actually in place for iOS devices, but that release is going to be a little behind the OSX release. the iOS App Store, it's easy to quickly sink to the bottom, so this time the strategy is to try and be a less small frog in a small pond on the OSX App Store first.

Yeah, I hear that. It could be pretty discouraging bringing out an iOS app unless it somehow hits a sweet spot in mass appeal - but how is anyone to know what makes that happen? I'll look for it, and hopefully you'll post when it's out.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
02-21-2012, 12:29 PM
I took some time to make it a proper OSX-style app and think it was worth it. It now uses Apple's native help system and sports a custom top-menu. Before it was too much like one would have on the iPad and iPhone. If you're going to port it, port it right.

If anybody is willing to help and possibly get a few bucks via PayPal for doing it, I could use help translating the instructions into various languages.
02-28-2012, 12:47 AM
On Sale 3/1

Warehouse has been approved and will be on sale March 1st.

I have some promo codes available.

Last edited by JRavey; 02-28-2012 at 02:08 AM.
03-01-2012, 12:57 AM
OSX Codes. Enjoy.

6ARH9MXMMJRY
XKKWWL7Y7JW7
REFEM4NYKEA6
Y7XXT3YH7N96
APN4AYM3LWPW
H4Y4R49TNJWF
PWP7T377JTAK
MWWXAHH4K9A6
RLX9KEJH9LRJ
9R9AWWX69X4E
03-23-2012, 10:53 AM
The isometric view is a bit too old. Wouldn't it be better to make it more futuristic? 3D?
04-05-2012, 02:57 PM
A perspective based camera wouldn't be an issue programming wise; however it would make lining up the crates more difficult as the lines would converge on screen and make for creates that are rendered as trapezoids. It was an option previously, but was very awkward. Having a mobile camera was also an option which proved cumbersome.

Thanks for the feedback, though. While I don't necessarily agree with your suggestion based on my experience and testing, it is thoughtful of you to take the time to share your honest opinion.