Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-17-2012, 04:22 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Art of Pinball - Aliens by ASK Homework

Old 08-17-2012, 04:38 PM
iPad Air

Default The ugly button for the music on/off toggle

The developer continues to place a constantly present, large and intrusive icon on the left side of the screen for the music on/off toggle. If anyone from this company is following this thread, please consider changing the position of this in an update.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:27 PM

[cross-posted from what I wrote at Pinball Arcade Fans]

These tables are pretty fun. They look great, and theyíre definitely old school in their feel. The scores are kept low, there arenít any dot matrix animations or missions, and you canít change lit lanes using your flippers. But the ball moves and reacts nicely.

Hereís some random observations that I jotted down while playing:
  • Neither of these tables are available in their pinball collection, Age of Pinballs. I emailed them about this, and they mentioned that they donít currently plan on adding these tables as in-app purchases. Too bad.
  • Be careful which version of the app you buy, this isnít universal. Thereís iPhone and iPad versions of each of these tables.
  • Thereís lots of in-app purchases:
    Flipper Pack: $1.99
    Ball Pack: $0.99
    Sound Pack: $0.99
    Ball Number: $0.99
    Thereís not a naggy sales pitch anywhere in the game for purchasing any of this stuff. Itís available in the main menu, but there arenít any pop ups or notifications trying to force your hand.

Before purchasing any of these in-apps, thereís no way to preview what it is that youíre purchasing. You can see some of these alternate assets in the App Store screenshots, but thereís no way to preview anything from within the app. And Iím damn sure not buying any of this stuff, so I canít comment on what any of these in-app purchases actually provide.

Note also, that since this app isnít universal, if you want these in-apps, youíll need to purchase them twice if youíre buying the iPhone and the iPad version of each table. If you get both tables, and you got both version of each table, and you get all of the in-app purchases, youíre out $19.84. (If these tables were added to Age of Pinballs, weíd be able to get all of these in-apps for each table with a single purchase. This, in my opinion, is why they havenít done this, unfortunately.)
  • In what I can only assume is an attempt to coax you to buy the $1.99 Flipper Pack, the default (and free) flippers are ugly white flippers that put ďFlipperĒ on them in bolded black text. This is good, I suppose, if you ever forget what these things are called. Itís bad if youíre averse to in-app nickel and diming.
  • The plunger control isnít analog. You donít pull back to release it, you just press in the bottom-right corner, and it pulls it back. So if you want to release the plunger at less than full speed, you have to release your pull early. If you hold the onscreen press too long, thereís no way to lessen the strength of the pull. This is problematic on the Mummy table, because thereís a 1000 point shot you can hit with a well done pull. On Aliens, it doesnít seem to matter as much.
  • Thereís a ball-save feature, where youíll get your ball back if you drain quickly.
  • The physics seem tweaked from what appears in the Age of Pinballs. To me, it seems less floaty, and it feels a lot better.
  • Inexplicably, thereís an overlay on the left side of the screen where you can toggle the music on and off. If you press this onscreen button, the music turns off, but the sound effects remain. You canít hide this distracting button from the interface.
  • In Age of Pinballs, thereís an ambient crowd noise that isnít present here.
  • If youíre backgrounding music from another app, you wonít be able to run it while playing any of these tables. Even if you turn the gameís music off, you still wonít be able to play any of your music.
  • Each table is portrait only, and there are four views you can choose from. The first view shows the whole table from a three quarters view, and thereís no zooming thatís necessary. The other views have zooming in and out, but itís nowhere near as jarring as what youíll see in, say, the Gameprom tables.
  • Each table supports OpenFeint for leaderboards. Age of Pinballs supported Game Center, but it doesnít appear to be supported with these apps for some reason. (I thought OpenFeint was supposed to have built in support for Game Center, and that this was something that developers would get for free when implementing OpenFeint.)
  • OpenFeint scores are not synced between iPhone and iPad versions of the app.
  • When entering initials, the text field that theyíre using doesnít limit text shortcuts. So even though Iím limited to only three characters here and Iím not trying to invoke this shortcut, when I type my initials, Iím triggering this shortcut that Iíve created to enter my email address. This shortcut doesnít work, and I donít want it to, but this suggestion should never be made to the user.
  • Thereís a bug in the plunger code. When pulling all the way back on the plunger and holding, the ball will spin and spin and spin. The spin is fine when youíre pulling back initially, but if you hold it, it should come to rest. Otherwise, it looks bizarre.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:39 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Mmm would have been nice to have this tables in the Age of Pinballs app, or at least in a new Art of Pinball app where all the tables in this series could be bundled together... Looks nice though and the asking price is super cheap.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:03 AM

As mentioned @ PAF (see link above) I think this new pricing model and disto isn't the way to go. An Art of Pinballs collection (universal) would be much better.

Art of Pinball - The Mummy (for iPhone only) has just gone free so maybe they are finding out the change hasn't worked. I'll gladly buy every table in a new Art Of Pinball universal collection!
Old 08-18-2012, 08:10 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrboy View Post
As mentioned @ PAF (see link above) I think this new pricing model and disto isn't the way to go. An Art of Pinballs collection (universal) would be much better.

Art of Pinball - The Mummy (for iPhone only) has just gone free so maybe they are finding out the change hasn't worked. I'll gladly buy every table in a new Art Of Pinball universal collection!
+1 to this. I would be all over an Art of Pinball collection app.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:37 PM
iPad, OS 3.x

Default Is Age of Pinballs still being maintained?

Last update for Age of Pinballs was April, I think. Are there still plans to grow that app or did the devs give up on it?

Personally even after having put over $8 into Age, Id happily buy a 70s table pack inside it, and be much happier having it all in a single app.

Of course this prevents nickel and dime'ing the flipper and skin pack stuff. So maybe it is not realistic to hope for it.

Age is a GREAT game, and I recommend it to anyone who doesn't have it, at $8 or whatever sale price it is at.

Cheers and hope to see these tables in Age one day!
Old 12-08-2012, 06:00 AM

Now available as a universal build in a Art Of Pinball Tables Pack app, including all five singles tables released earlier and another table. On sale now for $2.99
Old 12-08-2012, 12:57 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrboy View Post
Now available as a universal build in a Art Of Pinball Tables Pack app, including all five singles tables released earlier and another table. On sale now for $2.99
Thanks for the heads up! This is how it should have been released originally. Glad I held off on buying any of the previous Art of Pinballs releases. The IAP is expensive, so I would have been seriously annoyed to have to buy it again to consolidate the titles. Looking forward to finally checking them out!