★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Best Virtual Joysticks in a 3D Game?

02-11-2012, 12:12 AM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Best Virtual Joysticks in a 3D Game?

Hey everyone,

I'm doing some design research here for a game I'm developing. I wanted to pick your collective brains on what you thought was the best virtual joystick /touch control implementation that you've seen in a 3D iPad game.

Genre doesn't really matter. Shooters are fine, but I welcome especially innovative types of gameplay that are melded with joysticks or touch controls as well.

Throw me what you got. Games with a lite version are a bonus, but not required.

02-11-2012, 07:35 AM
Gamelofts N.O.V.A. - Modern Combat 3 for all the options to move and scale stuff.

Shadowgun is a fine third person example.

Star Warfare is currently free and controls are great even though they cant be moved.

All shooters though.
02-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
iDaTank has a great control system, with a nice selection of different schemes.

also have to agree with Leegames on Shadowgun, I really like those controls. Also from the same dev. - Madfinger - Samurai II - always thought that joystick implementation was nice, especially after the first Samurai game...

No Gravity, Awesome Saucer and Galaxy On Fire's joysticks are great for aerial combat titles.

Get Outta My Galaxy has some nice joystick + touch controls... was an easy transition when they added the control scheme after only having tilt + touch... they just... felt natural.

As for DS Shooters...

Bullet Time
Star Warefare
Age Of Zombies
Pocket RPG
Mushihimesama Bug Panic
Space Miner

There's LOADS of dual stick games with nice virtual joysticks...

but iDaTank and Get Outta My Galaxy have, I think, the best virtual joystick + touch controls out of the whole 6,000+ iOS games I've got... =o)