★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Traffic lights vs Gridlocked vs Road Rage ahead

View Poll Results: The best traffic control
Traffic Lights 1 3.33%
Gridlocked 7 23.33%
Gridlocked Rush Hour 8 26.67%
Road Rage Ahead 14 46.67%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll
05-12-2009, 01:40 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Traffic lights vs Gridlocked vs Road Rage ahead

What is the best game?

Traffic lights:

Gridlocked:

Gridlocked Rush Hour:

Road Rage Ahead:

Don't put Flight control.

Last edited by xerox; 05-13-2009 at 01:31 AM.
05-12-2009, 01:42 AM
Just seems odd to me that these 4 nearly identical games come out all at the same time and the devs claim to have never heard of the others. How is this possible?
The only one I have is the dull one you see up there, and that's my problem with it, the colors are dull.

PS Road Rage Ahead isn't out yet I don't believe.

GameCenter/OpenFeint/Plus+/Agon/Gameloft Live/Xbox LIVE/PSN ID: VoodooVyper

Last edited by VoodooVyper; 05-12-2009 at 01:46 AM.

05-12-2009, 02:02 AM
well unfortunately I don't have Gridlocked: Rush Hour to give impressions on.

Gridlocked is a great casual game. It's all on one screen. Starts off slow and ramps up gradually (a little too gradually for my taste).

Road Rage Ahead is a much more fleshed out game. Cities can be quite large and require you to scroll about. Aside from getting traffic through the city you also have to deal with construction zones and train crossings. Cars hit by the train even lay in the road blocking traffic.

They really fill two different niches. If I had to pick one I'd go with Road Rage for now, only because it has much more to do in the current version
05-12-2009, 02:04 AM
So, Road Rage is out then? Must've missed it.
Edit: Ah yes, I see it in the appstore. Neat.

GameCenter/OpenFeint/Plus+/Agon/Gameloft Live/Xbox LIVE/PSN ID: VoodooVyper
05-12-2009, 04:58 AM
stop the discussion but VOTE damnit! =P
05-12-2009, 05:44 AM
I don't have any of these (yet), but will probably buy one soon. I have a craving for yet more games!

From a purely visual point of view, Gridlocked Rush Hour looks the best. The colours are attractive, but muted enough to not overwhelm you. They're kinda nice and soft, in the same way Flight Control's graphics are.
Whilst Gridlocked also has muted colours, I think they're too "dirty" and not bright enough, and the graphics don't look as professional as those in Road Rage Ahead, so I'd put Road Rage Ahead second and Gridlocked third, even though Road Rage's overall brightness is a bit too much for my liking. Maybe it's better in motion?
And that would put Traffic lights in last place. It just looks like it was put together in MS Paint or something (sorry), and the cars are way too small. Don't like.

But I'd really be interested in hearing everyone else's opinions here on which is the best game, speaking from a gameplay point of view, as there's no point in buying a game ONLY for its looks!
05-12-2009, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegantTnT View Post
Road Rage Ahead is a much more fleshed out game. Cities can be quite large and require you to scroll about.
Woah! You mean you have to control traffic offscreen too? Traffic you can't even see?
Is this game more for the hardcore players than the casual gamers? (I'm the latter, but I do still like a challenge.)
05-12-2009, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by farley View Post
Woah! You mean you have to control traffic offscreen too? Traffic you can't even see?
Is this game more for the hardcore players than the casual gamers? (I'm the latter, but I do still like a challenge.)
yep, you need to scroll around the map and take care of the traffic jams.

and yes definitely for the hardcore. I love the construction zones. It blocks off a lane of the road and forces you to handle two lanes of traffic on one road! It's not easy, haha
05-12-2009, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegantTnT View Post
yep, you need to scroll around the map and take care of the traffic jams.

and yes definitely for the hardcore. I love the construction zones. It blocks off a lane of the road and forces you to handle two lanes of traffic on one road! It's not easy, haha
Thanks for the answer. Reckon I'll probably stick with Gridlocked Rush Hour then.
I'll try and track down some YouTube videos for these games to help me finalise that decision.
05-12-2009, 06:46 AM
Hmmm, I could only find a video for one of those games, Road Rage Ahead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppGCClIf7nA

If anyone finds any others, post the links here. Thanks.