★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

I got 2 plans for games, but...

02-12-2012, 06:15 AM
#1
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Philippines
Posts: 3,082
I got 2 game plans, but...

Hi. I am iANiMeX and I love planning games. I already completed 2 game plans but sadly I don't know how to code games or make them for the iOS. Maybe some dev/s would be interested on my game plans and make them happen.

I got each game fully detailed on a Word Document file. They are both detailed on how to play, sketches of the what the game will look like, game play, level design, menu, menu explanation, etc..

Btw, one of my game plan is a RPG/Strategy and the other is an Arcade game.

I still got another game in mind that I will start doing plans and it will be a 2D action game.

Thanks.

Admin/Reviewer on Philippine Gamers Lounge
XBL & PSN: iANiMeX
GameCenter: ANiMeX2k11
Need beta tester?

Last edited by iANiMeX; 02-12-2012 at 06:56 AM.
02-12-2012, 07:12 AM
#2
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 243
It's best not to get completely unknown people to review your Design Docs as you may loose your unique ideas.

You sound like a eager, creative individual with a passion for games. If I were you I'd get involved with an established Games company that's making the kind of stuff you like. Try to get a foot in the door in there QA or Customer service departments.

Once you've had enough time to learn the ropes and meet some talented people you can propose creating a prototype of your ideas internally or as a side secret project (which will be further refined by then).

There are always unscrupulous folks in all walks of life so never let anyone see your ideas unless you know them personally or they sign your non-disclosure agreement.

The most valuable asset in games is a unique inspirational idea. Just look at how many unimaginative poor quality titles there are on the app store and you'll start to realise how rare they are, protect yours until the cogs fall into place. You have lots of time a great idea rarely gets stale and can be used down the line.

Good Luck

Check out my upcoming game Juice Jumpers

Follow me on Twitter

02-12-2012, 07:23 AM
#3
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Philippines
Posts: 3,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_wexer View Post
It's best not to get completely unknown people to review your Design Docs as you may loose your unique ideas.

You sound like a eager, creative individual with a passion for games. If I were you I'd get involved with an established Games company that's making the kind of stuff you like. Try to get a foot in the door in there QA or Customer service departments.

Once you've had enough time to learn the ropes and meet some talented people you can propose creating a prototype of your ideas internally or as a side secret project (which will be further refined by then).

There are always unscrupulous folks in all walks of life so never let anyone see your ideas unless you know them personally or they sign your non-disclosure agreement.

The most valuable asset in games is a unique inspirational idea. Just look at how many unimaginative poor quality titles there are on the app store and you'll start to realise how rare they are, protect yours until the cogs fall into place. You have lots of time a great idea rarely gets stale and can be used down the line.

Good Luck
Thanks for the tips. I guess I will follow your advice.

Admin/Reviewer on Philippine Gamers Lounge
XBL & PSN: iANiMeX
GameCenter: ANiMeX2k11
Need beta tester?
02-12-2012, 08:28 AM
#4
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 146
I have a different opinion : feel free to share your ideas because they are worthless.

No offense intended : the drawers of every programmer or game company out there are filled with great game ideas they haven't been able to develop, for lack of time, funding, market opportunity, you name it. All of them would much rather develop their own game ideas than someone else's, unless they are hired and paid to do so. An idea alone is worthless until it's actually turned into a game.

Nobody will steal your ideas until they are turned into real games. If those games have success, that's when people will start cloning them.

That is also the reason why, if you are serious about making your own games, there are many options :
- Get close to a programmmer and develop the game together. Ideally someone you've actually met rather than an Internet friend. At any rate, you will have to build a much closer relationship than posting your ideas on a forum (though I suppose that could be a start)
- As mr_wexer said, get into a game company thru QA and work your way up. Very sound advice.
- Learn to code and make the games yourself. It's actually a pretty serious option too, there are tools availble these days that make it not as difficult as it used to be, such as RPG Maker.

Good luck !! This can all be achieved through perseverance and hard work.

I make games.
Twitter: NicolasG_B
02-12-2012, 08:31 AM
#5
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Philippines
Posts: 3,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasgb View Post
I have a different opinion : feel free to share your ideas because they are worthless.

No offense intended : the drawers of every programmer or game company out there are filled with great game ideas they haven't been able to develop, for lack of time, funding, market opportunity, you name it. All of them would much rather develop their own game ideas than someone else's, unless they are hired and paid to do so. An idea alone is worthless until it's actually turned into a game.

Nobody will steal your ideas until they are turned into real games. If those games have success, that's when people will start cloning them.

That is also the reason why, if you are serious about making your own games, there are many options :
- Get close to a programmmer and develop the game together. Ideally someone you've actually met rather than an Internet friend. At any rate, you will have to build a much closer relationship than posting your ideas on a forum (though I suppose that could be a start)
- As mr_wexer said, get into a game company thru QA and work your way up. Very sound advice.
- Learn to code and make the games yourself. It's actually a pretty serious option too, there are tools availble these days that make it not as difficult as it used to be, such as RPG Maker.

Good luck !! This can all be achieved through perseverance and hard work.
Thanks for the advise.

Admin/Reviewer on Philippine Gamers Lounge
XBL & PSN: iANiMeX
GameCenter: ANiMeX2k11
Need beta tester?
02-12-2012, 10:38 AM
#6
Not to rain on your parade, and I'm saying this for your own best interest. Ideas are the easy part, I have 2-3 ideas everyday. Seriously, learn to program, it's not rocket science, and you don't need to learn Obj-C. Look at products such as Corona and Flash (AS3) these are pretty easy platforms to use to make games. There are 100s of online tutorials to help you learn as well as forums where people will give you advice. 2-3 months of study and you will be able to put some of your ideas into practice, at that point find a good graphic artist and you are set

You have to remember that there LOTS (1000s and 1000s) of people right now across the world with ideas for an iPhone app/game, the ideas that succeed will be the ones where the person has either the money to hire a programmer to bring the idea to life or is able to code it themselves.
02-12-2012, 11:38 AM
#7
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Philippines
Posts: 3,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameViewPoint View Post
Not to rain on your parade, and I'm saying this for your own best interest. Ideas are the easy part, I have 2-3 ideas everyday. Seriously, learn to program, it's not rocket science, and you don't need to learn Obj-C. Look at products such as Corona and Flash (AS3) these are pretty easy platforms to use to make games. There are 100s of online tutorials to help you learn as well as forums where people will give you advice. 2-3 months of study and you will be able to put some of your ideas into practice, at that point find a good graphic artist and you are set

You have to remember that there LOTS (1000s and 1000s) of people right now across the world with ideas for an iPhone app/game, the ideas that succeed will be the ones where the person has either the money to hire a programmer to bring the idea to life or is able to code it themselves.
Thanks a lot for this advise. Maybe I'll start learning how to make my own game using those programs and reading online tutorials. Thanks again.

Admin/Reviewer on Philippine Gamers Lounge
XBL & PSN: iANiMeX
GameCenter: ANiMeX2k11
Need beta tester?
02-12-2012, 11:51 AM
#8
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 243
You have to see the difference between the 2-3 ideas you have a day and a game design that's very unique and potentially genre defining. Every game designer has ideas all the time but a concept for something that has never been done before and has loads of merit should be protected and nurtured before giving it away.

I guess we just have very different methodologies to design, maybe your way works for you. I worked for very successful US games companies for 10+ years and generally good ideas are very rare

Check out my upcoming game Juice Jumpers

Follow me on Twitter
02-12-2012, 05:33 PM
#9
If you have money to hire someone...
Suggest that you simplify the idea as much as possible. Stripping out complexity helps you evaluate what you really have (compare it to competitors) and decide whether it is worth spending money on it!
02-12-2012, 07:08 PM
#10
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 694
iANiMeX I wish you best of luck!!

iANiMeX has participated in basically every beta test for our clients and his comments and suggestions are in line with professional game designers that do this for a career. Many of my clients have commented on how excellent iANiMeX is and I think his insight and suggestions into iOS games is what the Appstore needs. He knows what gamers know, want and love. If I had money to develop a game I would hire iANiMeX on the spot!