★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Electrotrains - Now for ipad

02-12-2012, 06:54 AM
Electrotrains - Now for ipad

Hi everyone! I'd like to announce my game, ElectroTrains, which is now a universal app.

The graphics are glowing-vector style, largely because I'm a programmer rather than an artist and can't draw(!). Also somewhat inspired by Jeff Minter's classic Tempest 2000 on the Atari Jaguar.

Gameplay video

Youtube link | Pop Up

TouchArcade thread for the original version: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=114083

02-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Game impressions

I was lucky enough to get a promo code for this and what a pleasant suprise! First off, the developer sort of apologizes for the graphics because he is not an artist, but I would beg to differ - I absolutely love the look of the game. The gameplay is the star though as it is very simple and very enjoyable - just try to think ahead and manage the traffic. Of course, it can get very hectic. While there are only 3 maps, the point of the game is about getting a high score and each map offers plenty of replay ability. My only request for the game is Game Center support for leader boards. With that one addition this is an easy 5 star game for me.

Game Center: MarinasideSteve

Last edited by slewis7; 02-15-2012 at 01:35 PM.

02-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Looks interesting. Might give it a shot later tonight.
02-15-2012, 03:02 PM
I bought this game when it was iPhone only and I am still enjoying it. The vector graphics are right up my alley, and the gameplay is smooth and fun.

My only complaint has to do with the game difficulty. Once you hit 30,000 points, the game gets INSTANTLY and dramatically harder. I still haven't unlocked the third map because of this. Maybe I'll have better luck now that I can play it on my iPad.
02-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubisububi View Post
I bought this game when it was iPhone only and I am still enjoying it. The vector graphics are right up my alley, and the gameplay is smooth and fun.

My only complaint has to do with the game difficulty. Once you hit 30,000 points, the game gets INSTANTLY and dramatically harder. I still haven't unlocked the third map because of this. Maybe I'll have better luck now that I can play it on my iPad.
While it would mess up your multiplier, maybe you simply need to send some trains off the map early to free up space (if that's the issue)?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
02-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
While it would mess up your multiplier, maybe you simply need to send some trains off the map early to free up space (if that's the issue)?
I'm sure that's the way to go, but I can't stop trying to manage every train correctly. It seems that a well-balanced game would make it possible, even if it is very, very difficult. With this game, however, that's the only way to survive when you hit 30,000 as 3 stopping trains on the screen at the same time = failure.

Edit: I finally unlocked the 3rd map without sending off any trains early. I just got lucky in the late game with a run of non-stopping trains. It's definitely easier to play on the iPad (which isn't a big surprise).

Last edited by Ubisububi; 02-15-2012 at 06:51 PM.
02-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Because I *NEED** to fiddle with a perfectly tight and simple game, I have some ideas for potentially a new mode/map pack (as opposed to trying to rework the previous 3 maps to this scheme and messing up old scores, this new mode could be played on a new set of maps for something like a $1 IAP).

This new mode would be all about difficulty progression that doesn't rely entirely on speed. Picture a map with 5 stations. When you start the game only 2 of those stations will be used, the other 3 will be present but grayed out. Once either a threshold number of trains have been released to the map, one of the previously dormant stations will suddenly light up in a new color. Now trains can be of any 3 colors! So on and so on until all 5 colors are being used. Sure the speed will need to increase over time or what have you but hopefully at a slightly slower ramp than it does now. While the progression of colored stations can be fixed (like first blue and red and then later green is added), I think it would be fun if the stations initially active and the ones that get added be chosen somewhat randomly location wise (I mean there are only spots for 5 fixed stations on the map, but which of the remaining 3 locations is added could be random).

My iTunes Reviews
02-16-2012, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Because I *NEED** to fiddle with a perfectly tight and simple game, I have some ideas for potentially a new mode/map pack (as opposed to trying to rework the previous 3 maps to this scheme and messing up old scores, this new mode could be played on a new set of maps for something like a $1 IAP).
LordGek,

Robin, the developer here. Thanks for your ideas - I was planning to add some more maps in the future, and I certainly need to introduce some extra game mechanics when I do so - the layouts of the existing maps add extra challenge as they progress, but there's not really anywhere to go with this beyond map 3 without adding something completely new...

Will probably just include them with the existing game though, rather than going down the IAP route, since I'm not personally a big fan of IAP.

Robin

02-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Edwards View Post
Will probably just include them with the existing game though, rather than going down the IAP route, since I'm not personally a big fan of IAP.
Thank you, sir!

Updated my review - game looks great on the iPad (not that I can pry it away from my daughter often...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
02-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Edwards View Post
LordGek,

Robin, the developer here. Thanks for your ideas - I was planning to add some more maps in the future, and I certainly need to introduce some extra game mechanics when I do so - the layouts of the existing maps add extra challenge as they progress, but there's not really anywhere to go with this beyond map 3 without adding something completely new...

Robin
Oh, no problem, if you'd rather go IAP free power to you!

My iTunes Reviews