★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Atari
  • Genre: Action
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 67.9 MB
  • Version: 1.00
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Asteroids Gunner is the most entertaining and addictive version of one of the greatest arcade games of all time. AOL Games

Experience the next evolution in Ataris legendary Asteroids franchise!

Blast your way through deadly asteroids fields and alien war ships to become the most wealthy and powerful Gunner in space history! Work your way to the top of the gritty crystal mining business by traversing through the galaxy and collecting the treasures of the cosmos. Upgrade your ship as you climb up the intergalactic ranks and become a force to be reckoned with!

Asteroids®: Gunner+ includes:

ALL 8 ships UNLOCKED
ALL 3 galaxies UNLOCKED
150 waves of non-stop blasting action COMPLETELY UNLOCKED.
Customize your ship with upgrades and power-ups using Crystals earned by blasting asteroids or completing daily challenges
Play against your friends in the turn-based Challenge Mode for bragging rights
Unlock over 200 achievements to earn rank promotions and gain more upgrades
OpenFeint and Game Center integration

Atari managed to take Asteroids retro DNA and make it shine on the small screen with Asteroids Gunner. TechCrunch

It's everything arcade players loved about the classic Atari title Asteroids, only with a whole new look. USA Today

Asteroids: Gunner feel[s] like it belongs in this new era Slide to Play

Come check out the latest updates, or talk to us directly!
Like us on Facebook:
facebook.com/AsteroidsGunner

*** CHECK OUT OUR OTHER EXCITING GAMES! ***
Ataris Greatest Hits, Circus Atari, Centipede®: Origins, Breakout®: Boost+, and watch for our future apps at facebook.com/Atari

GIFT TO A FRIEND: Click the Buy App arrow on the App Store

Sanuku's comments:

02-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Too late Atari, just too late.

02-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Estoret
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
Too late Atari, just too late.
Hey Royce,
Can you give me more insight into what you mean by "too late?" The only reason I ask is because I just got a job at Atari as an intern. Atari really appreciates honest feedback since we are always looking for more ways to improve our operation (especially since we're just now going mobile!) Thanks for your feedback!
02-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoret View Post
Hey Royce,
Can you give me more insight into what you mean by "too late?" The only reason I ask is because I just got a job at Atari as an intern. Atari really appreciates honest feedback since we are always looking for more ways to improve our operation (especially since we're just now going mobile!) Thanks for your feedback!
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Quite simply, the original freemium version of this game left such a bad taste in my mouth that I have no serious interest in this new version. If a fully paid version had come out first it might have been different, but there are so many god dual stick shooters out there that even the legendary names Atari and Asteroids are not enough to sway me from my initial negative experience. Is that fair? Maybe not, but that's how I feel since you asked.
02-17-2012, 12:09 AM
While it is nice all ships and arenas are open form the get go, it still is the same IAP laden game where one will need to spend real money to get any of the games better power-ups/skills...or has that aspect been re-worked as well?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
02-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
While it is nice all ships and arenas are open form the get go, it still is the same IAP laden game where one will need to spend real money to get any of the games better power-ups/skills...or has that aspect been re-worked as well?
Oh its been reworked! Space Bucks have been taken out of the paid version completely, and instead you can now buy power-ups and skills by spending the crystals you get from each level. That being said, if you don't feel up to the grind you always have the option to purchase more crystals, however, it is not required.

I know there are a ton of games out there where you need to spend real money to make the game go faster or to get better items/skills, but personally (if I absolutely have to choose!) I prefer to pay one time instead of constantly buying the IAPs!
02-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Quite simply, the original freemium version of this game left such a bad taste in my mouth that I have no serious interest in this new version. If a fully paid version had come out first it might have been different, but there are so many god dual stick shooters out there that even the legendary names Atari and Asteroids are not enough to sway me from my initial negative experience. Is that fair? Maybe not, but that's how I feel since you asked.
Hey I feel you. Thanks for the response! Either way we like to hear from the community, so I appreciate the honesty.
02-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoret View Post
Oh its been reworked! Space Bucks have been taken out of the paid version completely, and instead you can now buy power-ups and skills by spending the crystals you get from each level. That being said, if you don't feel up to the grind you always have the option to purchase more crystals, however, it is not required.

I know there are a ton of games out there where you need to spend real money to make the game go faster or to get better items/skills, but personally (if I absolutely have to choose!) I prefer to pay one time instead of constantly buying the IAPs!
Sounds cool, I far prefer this model as well...but feel I'm in a bit of a quandry as I'd already spent so much on the Freemium model.

My iTunes Reviews
02-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Game Impressions

So other than the basic sentiment of, "Gosh dang it, why didn't they do this from the beginning?", I'm liking the entire elimination of starbucks (although, strangely, they still have a spot listing your current starbucks up on top of the screen).

So this is still the same Fluik Gunner -> Atari Asteroids Gunner all about endless grinding for upgrades with the option to bypass a lot of grinding via IAPs, but now at least everything in the game is purchasable from just in-game currency and you have access to all 8 ships and 3 levels sets (each of 50 levels) from the get go.

Oddly, there is at least one downgrade in a sense with this incarnation. You start the game with 0 add-on slots on your ship (unless this was just a result of the ship I chose) so in that sense you might need to do a little more grinding than you used to just to get up to where you were when the game was free.

There is a pretty cool game at its core, probably a 5/5 but, as even now it still feels a little bit like everything is geared to steering you to IAPs even after making a $5 purchase I have to dock it a point to 4/5 (sure you no longer HAVE to pay more to get extra stuff, but if not patient it will take you quite a while to access a lot of the game's nicer goodies).

My iTunes Reviews
02-18-2012, 03:54 PM
i have this game since i won a code off a giveaway from Slide2Play... played 1 stage and got bored ._.

Playlist
Brave Frontier - Dragon Blaze - Hearthstone - Sproggiwood - #YMBAB