★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

State of IOS gaming

02-13-2012, 01:19 PM
State of IOS gaming

So I am wondering what does everyone think of the state of IOS gaming. Seeing how the PS Vita is coming out soon and all, plus how lately it seems that we are seeing alot more of a freemium trend which I hate. Ipad3 is coming out soon I am guessing and the new iphone also, I keep asking myself is it worth it to keep upgrading ipads and iphones to keep up with the times to be able to game on? Lately only a few rare games on IOS have even kept my attention, theres to many freemium or social games coming out. I am looking for deep quality mobile games and just dont see many I like on IOS, I mean I buy all these games and they kind of just sit there on my device then new ones come out and I have to delete some to make room and its a never ending trend. I loved loved loved Aralon and Dungeon Hunter 1 & 2just to give you a idea of the games I prefer. Anyone else feel this way about IOS gaming?
02-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amenbrother View Post
So I am wondering what does everyone think of the state of IOS gaming. Seeing how the PS Vita is coming out soon and all, plus how lately it seems that we are seeing alot more of a freemium trend which I hate. Ipad3 is coming out soon I am guessing and the new iphone also, I keep asking myself is it worth it to keep upgrading ipads and iphones to keep up with the times to be able to game on? Lately only a few rare games on IOS have even kept my attention, theres to many freemium or social games coming out. I am looking for deep quality mobile games and just dont see many I like on IOS, I mean I buy all these games and they kind of just sit there on my device then new ones come out and I have to delete some to make room and its a never ending trend. I loved loved loved Aralon and Dungeon Hunter 1 & 2just to give you a idea of the games I prefer. Anyone else feel this way about IOS gaming?
Frankly, it's tempting to delete this sort of generalized whinny thread, but you know what: I want to try and salvage it. So instead of engaging in a useless discussion about casual vs hardcore gaming or freemium or what have you, why don't you go ahead and list recent titles that you have picked up and we can let you know what "deeper" mobile games you have missed.

02-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Hey, I feel exactly that way! There really has only been one week/thursday with games that interested me so far this year (the week with Ghost Trick and Reckless Racing 2), otherwise it has been quite a disappointment so far.
I really want to see more games like Galaxy on Fire 2 or Modern Combat 3, games that keep me playing and are fun after the first hour, or even the twentieth.

I guess that is one reason why I preordered a PSVita...
02-13-2012, 01:54 PM
ummm

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Frankly, it's tempting to delete this sort of generalized whinny thread, but you know what: I want to try and salvage it. So instead of engaging in a useless discussion about casual vs hardcore gaming or freemium or what have you, why don't you go ahead and list recent titles that you have picked up and we can let you know what "deeper" mobile games you have missed.
You know what nevermind, I didnt mean for it to come off in a bad light as you saw it. I was just asking a question. Anyways it's not about what games I missed because I am pretty sure I have all the kind of games I like and some I dont normally like but just wanted to try them out or help do my part and support developers. I was just stating my opinion and looking for others opinions I dont see any reason to feel like deleting my post.... wow
02-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Quote:
You know what nevermind, I didnt mean for it to come off in a bad light as you saw it. I was just asking a question. Anyways it's not about what games I missed because I am pretty sure I have all the kind of games I like and some I dont normally like but just wanted to try them out or help do my part and support developers. I was just stating my opinion and looking for others opinions I dont see any reason to feel like deleting my post.... wow
The fact is that over the three or four months there have been way more "meaty" games than I've ever seen on the platform (and I been following iOS gaming since it began). Now, those games are not (necessarily) coming from Gameloft or EA, and they are not (necessarily) imitations of recent console releases. For that reason, folks like Der-Klein tend to ignore them.

Without specifics it is difficult (if not impossible) to have a real conversation about this subject.
02-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Quote:
The fact is that over the three or four months there have been way more "meaty" games than I've ever seen on the platform (and I been following iOS gaming since it began). Now, those games are not (necessarily) coming from Gameloft or EA, and they are not (necessarily) imitations of recent console releases. For that reason, folks like Der-Klein tend to ignore them.

Without specifics it is difficult (if not impossible) to have a real conversation about this subject.
well then give us some examples
02-13-2012, 03:07 PM
I bought a 3DS when it came out, 2 months later i bought myself an Iphone 4. I haven't touched my 3DS since. (not syaing the 3ds doesnt have good games) Im chocked at how much stuff there is on the appstore.

I seem to spend anything between 10-30 bucks a month on iOS games alone, i have over 120 games and im not sure ive finished more then 20 of them if even that.

I doubt the PSP Vita will do much to what i see is becoming even more of in the future. iOS gaming or mobile gaming or whatever you want to call it, isn't going anywhere, i dont see why we should have to worry about future of it, sure there seems to be a trend with freemium games, but i'd say there is still at least one new game every month that costs money and is "deep" enough to pay a full price for.

(Not sure this contributed at all to this thread but i can't be bothered removing it all now when i wrote it down)

Games like Ghost Trick (even though it's a port) Dangerous (port? =P) Ash II. To name a few. And i have to say the Iphone sure have brought me into liking "casual" games.

GC - Eldyth
02-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Quote:
I'm in the same boat except all I've really played recently has been Temple Run and some other free downloads. I also played a few rounds of Black Ops Zombies to try out the update but I couldn't help but wonder how much more enjoyable it could be with physical buttons, being that I had recently payed off my Vita preorder.

That said, though, there are still a few games I'm looking forward to on iOS.

Last edited by Madman100; 02-13-2012 at 03:54 PM.
02-13-2012, 04:40 PM

So Ace and Madman do you think it's worth it to keep upgrading our ipads and iphones? I swear I want a upgradeable device... I am tired of upgrading every year or two.....
02-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Resistance Retribution, Manhunt 2, Raw Vs. smack down 2011, Midnight Club 3 : DUB edition, Crisis Core, From Russia With Love, Dissidia, God of War, Peacemaker, Shattered Memories, Logan's Shadow, Birth by Sleep, Tomb Raider Legend, God Father Mob Wars, etc. It's a long list. I've played them all, as well as the majority of high-profile iOS games. Production values, storytelling, cut scenes, voice over work, single player/campaign content, there's no comparison. Rich, immersive storytelling is where most iOS games tend to fall the shortest though. Truthfully, there shouldn't be a comparison anyway. The iOS marketplace isn't targeting the same consumer. $10 games aren't supposed to compare with games that sold for $40-50 when they first entered the marketplace.

Casual gamers like what they like. Dedicated gamers like what they like. It's a matter of personal preference. This argument can never be "won." There is nothing to win. Different people like different stuff. There's nothing really wrong with that. It would be laughable to argue that iOS games are "deeper" or that they offer a more complete, full-fledging gaming experience. They are niche, and experimental, and indie, for the most part. Creative, artistic, outside of the box. Alternative. Outside of the norm, beyond acceptable mainstream conventions. Free of industry constrictions. They are different. If people dig that, it's cool. But "deeper" is not a word I would use.

Its true though, a thousand threads aren't going to settle this debate. We've probably seen damn near a thousand of them too. There are no answers. It is what it is. I can appreciate the novelty of getting games like Smash Cops or Reckless Racing for less then $5. Or Paper Monsters for 0.99c. Just because iOS gaming is something different doesn't mean it doesn't have it's place. But it will never be what many people wish it would be. Heck, I wish it would be what the TC wishes it would be. I fully realize, however, that it won't.

Last edited by dumaz1000; 02-13-2012 at 05:20 PM.