★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Fairway Solitaire HD problems

02-15-2012, 05:36 AM
Fairway Solitaire HD problems

I discovered that Big Fish Games released Fairway Solitaire for iPad and since I enjoyed it on PC, I decided to check it out on the iPad.

Well, like many of the rather expensice (for the AppStore) games I have previously purchased from Big Fish Games, the game seems to crash. Now, for my previous purchases, I had gotten the full, 5-10 dollar versions and they played well on both my iPad and iPad 2 having iOS 4.3.3. But after upgrading to 5.0.1, the iPad crashes on many of them, thus rendering at least $50 of games useless on the iPad (1). They mostly work on the iPad 2, so I suspect it's up to iOS 5 using more RAM.

The fact is that it crashes after the first level on both my iPad 1 and 2. Sure, I have just downloaded the free version, but it's not exactly something that persuades me to dash out for the full version, since it will probably keep crashing. I do however see other people giving it good reviews, so I was wondering what might be the problem. Both my iPads are jailbroken, since I adore IntelliScreenX, FolderEnhancer and Gridlock. But I have had a friend trying to install the game on a stock 5.0.1 iPad 2 and his crashes to - even after a cold reboot!

Since Big Fish Games haven't reacted at all to the complaints I have previous sent them, I'm going to try here instead. Hopefully someone can share their experience.

Thanks in advance.
02-15-2012, 07:11 AM
I have the exact same problem of it crashing after the first level on my iPad 2. It is not jail broken and everything else on it is closed down so I am not sure what else to try.

I really want this game and want to give them my money. I hope it is fixed soon.

02-15-2012, 10:19 AM
I find it interesting that the non iPad version weighs in at 466M while this one is only 249M. Perhaps the HD build uploaded was corrupted somehow?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
02-15-2012, 10:49 AM
I just cleared the first two levels of the non-HD version on my iPod Touch 4G (notorious for memory issues) w/o issue.

Did you see the little cartoon after the first level (or maybe it was the second level)? I'm willing to bet there are some missing files in that 249M FS HD.

My iTunes Reviews
02-15-2012, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
I find it interesting that the non iPad version weighs in at 466M while this one is only 249M. Perhaps the HD build uploaded was corrupted somehow?]
The size difference is odd.

I got mine from the UK store so I checked the American one to see if people there were having problems, but so far no-one has mentioned it. Of course it is still early over there.

EDIT No, no cartoon, as soon as you place the last card it crashes.
02-15-2012, 11:50 AM
No problems for me so far.. I'm at Course 3 now.

Guess what I don't understand with this game what is the purpose of those golf clubs that you can buy? seems like it's changing the card sometimes?
02-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pka4916 View Post
No problems for me so far.. I'm at Course 3 now.

Guess what I don't understand with this game what is the purpose of those golf clubs that you can buy? seems like it's changing the card sometimes?
I can field this one as a big fan of the original PC version.

The clubs are just one time use reserve cards to get you out of a bind. If out on the field are a '6' and '7' but your current face up card is a 'K', just pull out that 8 Iron (just a cute name for your spare '8') and now you can play the '7' and then '6' onto it.

My iTunes Reviews
02-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Quote:
I can field this one as a big fan of the original PC version.

The clubs are just one time use reserve cards to get you out of a bind. If out on the field are a '6' and '7' but your current face up card is a 'K', just pull out that 8 Iron (just a cute name for your spare '8') and now you can play the '7' and then '6' onto it.
Thanks for the info.

btw. I did get an animation after the 1 course...
going underground where is is drawing on a board lol
02-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pka4916 View Post
Thanks for the info.

btw. I did get an animation after the 1 course...
going underground where is is drawing on a board lol
If you can make it past the second course without incident, perhaps it really is just an issue with jailbroken devices (not that I have tried it as I went straight to the iPhone version to be safe).

My iTunes Reviews
02-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Quote:
If you can make it past the second course without incident, perhaps it really is just an issue with jailbroken devices (not that I have tried it as I went straight to the iPhone version to be safe).
My Ipad2 64Gb is JB though for GenR. but no problems so far.
I'm really liking this game.. I'm in Area 4 now

btw. how do you get that Golf shooting thing to work at the right top?
It worked 1 time for me, and got 1000 coins, but no clue how I managed that.