★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Zynga "Dream Heights" Released Today - how'd ya rate it?

02-15-2012, 09:54 AM
Zynga "Dream Heights" Released Today - how'd ya rate it?

Looks like Dream Heights is now in the App Store.

I'm going to download it and give it a whirl. So far a lot of 1 & 2 star reviews.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dream-heights/id477752455?mt=8
02-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Although I don't agree with Zynga here, I believe most of those reviews where gonna be 1 star even before they downloaded the game. Zynga stole their idea and Nimblebits kinda egged their fans on

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
Tiny Toy Chest out now!
Free Version also available

02-15-2012, 12:05 PM
I really hope the 1 star ratings affect sales and will make them consider not going this route with their next new game. It's shameful for companies to do this. Hopefully the publicity helped people discover Tiny Towers too.
02-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Here's a screenshot I took yesterday, when it had 3.5 stars, up from 2.5 a few hours earlier. I've tried to rate it 1 star several times but it never shows up. It is now at 4 stars when it started at 1, Zynga has won the review war.

Tiny Tower is still ranked 24 in top grossing (US) and Dream Heights is now 52 top grossing, up from 100 or so. When is Apple going to take this clone off the store like they did with others? Apple has $100 billion in cash, they don't need the revenue from any apps.
02-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunInfusedGames View Post
I really hope the 1 star ratings affect sales and will make them consider not going this route with their next new game. It's shameful for companies to do this.

Hopefully the publicity helped people discover Tiny Towers too.
Hopefully the publicity helped people discover Tiny Towers too.
02-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30BelowStudios View Post
Although I don't agree with Zynga here, I believe most of those reviews where gonna be 1 star even before they downloaded the game. Zynga stole their idea and Nimblebits kinda egged their fans on
Rightfully so, considering Zynga have recently proved they won't hesitate at all to sue another developer that tries to copy one of their games. The case was even successful, so why aren't steps being taken to ensure Zynga hasn't commited the exact same crime themselves? Oh I know, it's because Zynga can afford to break laws.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
02-16-2012, 01:08 PM
An now Electronic Arts gets into the genre with "Monopoly Hotels"...

The more crowded the freemium market, the less whales to hook for your app, as they're all busy playing the other guy's stuff.
02-16-2012, 03:22 PM
I downloaded the Zynga game to see what it is about.
Even if I think, that they are crooks, I have to say that the game is nice and polished.

I didn't download Tiny Towers, because what I have seen, the graphic of Tiny Towers is pretty bad retro pixel crap, which I hate. I can assume, that the gameplay by Zynga is even more polished than by Tiny Towers.

I don't think that it is anything bad with taking a good idea and making it even better. That is how the game industry works since day one.

Look at World of Warcraft. Blizzard did nothing new, but took all other mmos, copied them and polished the features. Nobody blames them to have stolen everquest, dark age of camelot and all the others.

I won't rate Zynga neither positiv nor negative, because I believe that the tiny tower guys did a good job, but Zynga made it probably better.

I won't play a crapy game just because it was the first. It is their move now to make an even better game, than Zynga.
02-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naxera View Post
When is Apple going to take this clone off the store like they did with others?
While the actions of Zynga here might be considered underhanded by many, they aren't doing anything illegal or infringing on any rights. You cannot copyright look and feel, and they haven't stolen any art, code, sound etc.

The "clones" Apple have removed in the past are games where there is direct copyright or trademark infringement.

The best you could do to protect yourself from cloning would be to patent underlying mechanics and techniques, but this requires you to do so ahead of time, prove that it is novel, you need to spend a lot of money to do it, and you need to be prepared to spend money to defend it.

At the end of the day, you do NOT want Apple to start removing clones from the App Store. If they started doing that, then a lot of smaller developers would be impacted negatively due to the claims of larger developers and publishers who can point to large and established back catalogs across every possible genre.
02-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikPok View Post
While the actions of Zynga here might be considered underhanded by many, they aren't doing anything illegal or infringing on any rights. You cannot copyright look and feel, and they haven't stolen any art, code, sound etc.

At the end of the day, you do NOT want Apple to start removing clones from the App Store. If they started doing that, then a lot of smaller developers would be impacted negatively due to the claims of larger developers and publishers who can point to large and established back catalogs across every possible genre.
I fully agree with you on this one, that reminded me of the recent Atari pulling apps that are similar. Atari of all companies!

http://toucharcade.com/2011/12/30/at...tanks-extreme/

Any game that has an 80's style to it is now owned by Atari on the appstore? Really? This is a two way street and the indie cannot win this one in the end, I would rather have a liberal/marketplace economy then a policed one anyday.