★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Hero Academy Tourney Round 3

02-15-2012, 04:53 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Hero Academy Tourney Round 3

The games relevant to advancement are done, the final 4 are in.

Big round of applause for Nariziss, Drvumad, Daviddesj and LEiss!

Ok, now the "bad" news. The patch is coming a week from today -- that is an official announcement -- and it is going to have balance changes. I do *not* know whether games started pre-patch will be impacted. Absent this info, we need to wait a week and play with the new rules, since having them change mid-game is obviously a no go. It is not viable for you to be stuck with the old version of the game for possibly several weeks - Drvumad would likely actually go mad.

I'll ask on the RE forums. My hope and guess is that games that are in progress wont be effected, in which case we can get started.

Please use this forum to hash out a format you can all agree on. So far, I think David and Drv have expressed a preference for one last round robin, but perhaps I am misremembering.

Currently addicted to Clash Royale

Last edited by ArtNJ; 02-15-2012 at 04:57 PM.
02-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Confirmed that once you update, the balance changes impact games in progress. Accordingly, Round 3 will start on Wednesday or Thursday, post update. Dwarves are off limits, and if you get the new map, delete and start the game again. The balance changes, however, we are stuck with since its not reasonable to ask folks to refrain from updating for several weeks and thereby be ineligible for League play.

Discuss the format for Round 3 below -- we have a week to talk

02-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Another week wait?! sheesh!

I like to think i'm as patient as the next guy, but group A dragged round 2 to nearly 3 weeks and now we are adding a 4th by default!

I for one could manage to hack out round 3 and luck willing round 4 before the update! Lets go!
02-15-2012, 08:02 PM
I'm fine with it, if you guys are fine with it. I dont want the rules to change mid-game though, that would cheapen it, so if we start, we dont update.

How about a 4 person round robin with 2 games with each person, top 2 advance?

Or head to head match ups of 3 games, we'll decide who goes first randomly, and I'll pair you by order you qualified (1 plays 4, 2 and 3 play).

02-15-2012, 10:12 PM
The difficulty here is maintaining some consistency throughout the tournament. We started the tournament with a certain version of the game, but it seems that at least the final round (round 4) will have to be played (realistically) under the upcoming patch.

I suggest that we either wait for the upcoming patch or we start round 3 but if we start round 3 then perhaps we should also start every potential game of round 4. That way round 4 will have secured pre-patch games, but the problem with this approach is that it would require us to start a bunch of potential games, and I don't know how many games round 4 will require between the top two. Alternatively, we can just start round 3, and refrain from updating I guess. Basically, if round 3 begins tomorrow, there would be six days until the patch, which will require about 9 moves per day per game to just about finish all games.

The problem is thus: if your games extend for two weeks (which is possible at 4-5 moves a day with a 60 turn game), that means that you will probably be shut out from any non-tournament games for a week (since you won't be allowed to update).

I don't mind waiting until the patch to prevent any accidental updating. I'd like to hear the opinion of the two other final four.

Btw, what exactly will be the format for round 4?

Last edited by Narziss; 02-15-2012 at 10:15 PM.
02-16-2012, 09:51 AM
Ok, we are short on time, and not everyone has wayed in, so I am going to make an executive decision.

Round 3 is to begin immediately. Players may not update while the round is in progress. This will be a 4 man round robin, play everyone twice. Clear first wins the tournament. If there is a tie for first, there will be a playoff/Round 4 - i.e. the winner of the head to head match-up in round 3 will not automatically win.

I will PM all four players. Good luck!

02-16-2012, 12:26 PM
I figured the priority would be to wait for everyone to weigh in (or at least say that they are present but have no opinion), and if they hadn't, that this would mean that waiting would be the default option. But alright then, let's do this.

Btw, is someone going to update the google docs excel sheet and add a new round? that thing is wonderful.

Last edited by Narziss; 02-16-2012 at 12:36 PM.
02-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Round 3 Game 1 invites out.

Feel free to invite me back for game 2 if you are up for both at the same time!

I've copied the original spreadsheet and updated the round 2 results and added a tab for round 3 here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...l8zWGJkSXc3cVE

Last edited by DrvUMad; 02-16-2012 at 12:55 PM.
02-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Btw, it should be a requirement that all games be started immediately. That way all games can take place under the current version of the game, whether or not they are played out immediately.
02-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narziss View Post
I figured the priority would be to wait for everyone to weigh in (or at least say that they are present but have no opinion), and if they hadn't, that this would mean that waiting would be the default option. But alright then, let's do this.

Btw, is someone going to update the google docs excel sheet and add a new round? that thing is wonderful.
David previously suggested round robin, and LEiss said that he has more free time and doesnt mind playing 6 games, so I'm not completely power drunk. Maybe just a little Seriously, I just found out the update would impact in progress games, and I felt like I had to make a decision. Drv was the person I was most concerned about, because, being very active in the League, I didnt want him stuck with the old version of the game. On hearing he was willing to risk it, I figured it was go time.

The spreadsheet is a H_ngm_n speciality, and, given how much less work it will be this time around, I'm sure he'll be willing to create it for us when he has time.