★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Mother Lode (need beta testers!)

02-16-2012, 05:46 PM
Mother Lode (need beta testers!)

Hi everyone, I'm a new indie developer finishing up my first game for the iPad. I could really use some help beta testing the game. My blog post about it can be found here.

Mother Lode

It is a family-style board game for two to four players (human or AI). Players try to mine the planet and escape with as much ore as possible before the planet explodes.

Here's some screenshots (more in the blog post above).

Land tiles are flipped over as players take turns. Each tile has an action on the bottom that takes effect when it is flipped (some can be saved for later). These add creatures to the board, let you move your pieces more quickly, cause a quake on the planet, and others.

There are three creature types in the game that will make your escape more difficult. During your turn you are able to move one creature to hinder your opponent or help yourself.

If this intrigues you, please sign up through TestFlight:
http://tflig.ht/vF8w2a

My site: Order of Magnitude Games
Twitter: @oomgames
02-18-2012, 04:39 AM
Applied.

02-18-2012, 04:17 PM
So pretty much a competitive space themed version of Volcano Island?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
02-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Oh wow, I honestly hadn't seen that one.

The coincidence is quite possibly because we were both inspired by the board game Survive: Escape from Atlantis. The reviews for Volcano Island even state as much.

I made many changes to the game play and believe my game can stand on its own. I would invite you to join the beta to see for yourself if you like!

TBH, I wish I had known about Volcano Island earlier as I probably would have gone in a different direction. As it is now, though, I'll just let the market decide.
02-21-2012, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scartier View Post
Oh wow, I honestly hadn't seen that one.

The coincidence is quite possibly because we were both inspired by the board game Survive: Escape from Atlantis. The reviews for Volcano Island even state as much.

I made many changes to the game play and believe my game can stand on its own. I would invite you to join the beta to see for yourself if you like!

TBH, I wish I had known about Volcano Island earlier as I probably would have gone in a different direction. As it is now, though, I'll just let the market decide.
I kind of assumed as much but was curious. I'd be interested in joining if the game will include any sort of stat tracking for my games vs. the AI as I plan to play primarily vs. AI and love some sort of record of my previous history against the AI.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
02-21-2012, 09:31 PM
No stats at the moment, but it is something that has crossed my mind. The AI isn't too difficult to beat at the moment. I would want to dedicate some time on making it more competitive before I start tracking wins/losses.
03-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Hi,

I wish I'd seen this thread earlier. I sent a separate email but thought I'd post here, too:

Congrats on your launch! I'd really like to take advantage of the 48 hour sale, so hopefully you'll reply soon.

1. Are there any IAP?
2. Is there an AI for "human vs. computer" matches or strictly Pass and Play with others?
3. Is there a helpful in-game tutorial?

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."
Drummerboycroy
03-20-2012, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeDaddy View Post
Hi,

I wish I'd seen this thread earlier. I sent a separate email but thought I'd post here, too:

Congrats on your launch! I'd really like to take advantage of the 48 hour sale, so hopefully you'll reply soon.

1. Are there any IAP?
2. Is there an AI for "human vs. computer" matches or strictly Pass and Play with others?
3. Is there a helpful in-game tutorial?
Thanks! I'm more nervous than anything at the moment. I hope folks enjoy the game and that I didn't leave in any glaring bugs.

1. Nope. No plans to offer IAP in this game. All updates will be free.
2. Yes, there's an AI. It's kind of bare-bones at the moment, but it plays. At some point I'd love to spend some time to boost the challenge.
3. Yes! A tutorial was super important to me.

Thanks for checking back. As you note, the game is now available.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mother-lode/id490363915?ls=1&mt=8
03-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Very good!

I'm looking for something unique to add to my family's repertoire of games for our weekly "Game Night" and came across your creation. I'm going to buy this game and play it with my family this weekend.

Good luck with your game's success!

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."
Drummerboycroy
03-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Great! Definitely let me know how it goes.