★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: The Best of the Worst: Games to Avoid

08-07-2008, 09:34 AM
The Best of the Worst: Games to Avoid

So last night i bought MetalAngel, being a fan of 2D top-down shmups, and yeah, i wasn't expecting much. 4$ is a bit much for something i'm not sure about but the screen shots had me hooked.

Turns out it's one of the most insultingly buggy pieces of crap i've yet to get from the app store. Honestly, this game feels like it's 3 weeks into a 4 month development cycle. Like it could hardly be considered a beta test version.

I don't even know if i want to get into all the problems with this game, the most insulting of which being that it feels soooo incomplete. Like it has potential to be better, but someone just shoved some unfinished build out the door to get it on the market.

I'm noticing a lot of this, and it's really pissing me off. Apple TESTS this stuff right?!? Who the hell is testing it, and what do they look for? I can understand a game having a few bugs or having room for improvement, but some of this is totally out of hand.

Products are going out for sale that are completely unfinished, unplayable, poor excuses for software.

I thought maybe this thread could be used to warn others of the total crap games out there. It seems like a few developers pay attention to this board so it may encourage them to to do better QC.

And another poor excuse for a game is Touchris. Just terrible.

*edit*- and Graal Zone.

Last edited by ReformatPlanet; 08-07-2008 at 09:57 AM.
08-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReformatPlanet View Post

And another poor excuse for a game is Touchris. Just terrible.
Have you tried the 1.2 update? I thought he fixed the controls in the latest version.

What I've learned from playing Super Monkey Ball, is that monkeys, in a ball, fall at a speed of 263 mph, on average.

08-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Yeah, but its still really bad. Spining the blocks is problematic, and it still seems too difficult to get anything to go where you want it to. The game looks nice at least.
08-07-2008, 10:38 AM
I just put up a review of MetalAngel, and I agree, it's pretty bad. The space shooter genre is just getting poor representation so far, with both Starsmasher and Tilt Fighter also being incomplete and not very fun.

Apple does not test apps. They didn't even say or indicate that they vet them, and the fact that Netshare went up, twice, and there are a slew of Light and Tip Calculator apps, is proof of that.

Matt

Last edited by MattB; 08-07-2008 at 07:22 PM.
08-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Well, that's too bad, I was thinking about plunking down the $2 for it if the controls got fixed.

What I've learned from playing Super Monkey Ball, is that monkeys, in a ball, fall at a speed of 263 mph, on average.
08-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
I just put up a review of MetalAngel, and I agree, it's pretty bad. The space shooter genre is just getting poor representation so far, with both Starsmasher and Tilt Fighter also being incomplete and not very fun.
That was a great review, you really nailed all the problems with it. I found myself overwhelmed by the sheer badness of it all. Did you ever manage to pick a different ship? It's like the selection screen appears but the game just starts with the red one when you try to do anything.
08-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Send a message via AIM to mikeadams
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
Apple does not test apps. They didn't even say or indicate that they vet them, and the fact that Netshare went up, twice, and there are a slew of Light and Tip Calculator apps, is proof ot that.
agreed. how many flashlight apps does one need?

or the 17 different sudoku apps.

as for the main post, i saw this pop up in my app store and i thought about purchasing it, but im very very glad i didnt.
08-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReformatPlanet View Post
That was a great review, you really nailed all the problems with it. I found myself overwhelmed by the sheer badness of it all. Did you ever manage to pick a different ship? It's like the selection screen appears but the game just starts with the red one when you try to do anything.
Nope, never was able to get a different ship selected. At first I thought it was a loading screen showing off concept or something. The game just needs a lot more work to be worthy of the price it is currently set at.

Matt
08-07-2008, 07:46 PM
while there is enough flashlight/sudoku apps to make their own category on the apps list, i don't think Apple should limit the number of these apps that are out there, each developer wants their turn and each of these apps usually does something just a little differently than the other. While i do still think that the amount of flashlight apps is a little ridiculous i understand them not putting a limit like that on them
08-07-2008, 09:31 PM
What's even more annoying is that, the more shovelware apps that pile up, the more of a hassle it becomes to scroll through the current list to find new releases on the iPhone version of the store (not the iTunes one). They're going to have to retool the app store software SOON to separate the shite from the shiny.