★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: slice.net
  • Genre: Word
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 8.3 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: If you love word games like Scrabble, crosswords, anagrams or the game show Lingo, youll love Word Traveller. Figure out the secret words to complete each round and play for trophies and high scores.

Start each round with the first letter of the secret word in place, then enter new words to reveal unknown letters. Green letters are in the mystery word and in the correct position, while yellow letters are in the word, but in the incorrect position. You have a limited amount of time to solve five words per round with ten guesses per word. Dont worry, youll start out with Free Letters and earn more along the way to help you solve words when you get stuck. During the Bonus Round you can earn more Free Letters or score bonus points.

In the Lite version, you can hone your skills with 4-letter Quick Play rounds, or play the Word Tour for an extended game experience and higher scores. When youve perfected your skills with the 4-letter words you can upgrade to the full version for only 99 cents and get much, much more!

Word Traveller Lite game features include:

**Hundreds of 4-letter words at The Beach
**Hundreds of 5-letter words at The City
**Easy and Normal modes
**High scores for each mode
**Two unique locations with soothing background sounds

---------------------------------------------------------
UPGRADE TO THE FULL VERSION FOR MORE FEATURES!

**Over a thousand MORE 4-Letter words at The Beach
**Over two thousand MORE 5-letter words at The City
**6-letter words at The Sphinx
**7-letter words at The Reef
**Easy, Normal and Genius modes
**Over 9,000 handpicked words to solve in Easy and Normal modes
**Over 52,000 words in Genius Mode
**Four unique locations with soothing background sounds
**Trophies for completing levels in the Complete Word Tour
**High scores for every level and mode

slice.net's comments:
I'm an independent game developer and I just released my a new word game for iOS. The free version has many hours of play and the full version, with a ton more words and modes is only 99!

Here's a brief description and a link to the LITE (free!) version.

If you love word games like Scrabble, crosswords, anagrams or the game show Lingo, you'll love Word Traveller. Figure out the secret words to complete each round and play for trophies and high scores.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/word-traveller-lite/id496329483?ls=1&mt=8

Post back here if you have questions or comments. Thanks!
02-21-2012, 03:35 PM
Played a few games of the "lite" version and so far it's pretty tough. Basic sort of "Mastermind" game play with words.

One problem I'm seeing is that the type screen is pretty small and big fingers could find it lacking. I'm not sure if that is why I'm having a bit of hit detection with the letters, but I've had some trouble hitting the letters I want.

That becomes a little problem when playing the World Tour mode. Here you only have a few minutes to try and get five words. Every time you miss a letter in a word means more lost time.

If you like word games this is certainly worth the free version.

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5
02-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback, QuickWit!

I tried to reach a compromise with the keyboard size and being able to show enough information to figure out the word. I had a bunch of people test it and for the most part, people got used to the keyboard pretty quickly. But yeah, it could be problematic for people with, uh, large fingers.

As far as the difficulty goes, you may want to switch to EASY mode. This will give you more time and more free letters. I have toyed with starting people in EASY mode instead of NORMAL, but decided against it and just let people know that they are in NORMAL mode to start. I may switch it to start in EASY mode in a future update.

Thanks again for the feedback - much appreciated!
02-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Played through a World Tour on the Easy mode and found it to be, well, easier. That was nice and it still left a feeling of being rushed (in a good way, I guess). I don't like having to use so many of the free letters, but it was okay.

Liked the bonus round. Gave a feeling of the old Press Your Luck game (No Whammies!).

I did, however, not like that after the bonus it round a new round was started right away. I wasn't expecting that and didn't notice that a new game had started. I'd suggest adding a "ready for the next round" type button before it begins.

Might also be fun to have some different bonuses that you can win besides the "Free Letter" (which is a copout). I'd like to see something like a "Freeze Time" badge that you can hit sometimes, or even a clue instead of the free letter. This last one would take a little work because you'd need to actually come up with a clue for each letter (think the "Lingo" TV show). Or you could make it easier and just give four letters and one of them is the right one.

Anyway, the point is to have different bonuses to add some strategy to the game.

All in all, not bad. Best of luck with the game.

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5