★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Unlock the magic of Sun Stones to discover a truly unique gaming experience.

Drenched in traditional Hopi sounds and visuals, Sun Stones is a delight for the senses. Use transformation, creation and destruction to solve 100+ original puzzles.

Integrated trophies, support for multiple profiles, in-game level editor (coming soon!), and regular additions of new content.

"Sun Stones is an exquisitely beautiful experience."
-- Scott Kim, Puzzle Master

---------------
FEATURES:
---------------

BEAUTIFUL HD GRAPHICS
Sun Stones features gorgeous graphics and amazing particle effects that take full advantage of your high resolution display.

OVER 100 MIND-BENDING PUZZLES
Challenge yourself to over 100 engaging puzzles. Unlock new magical powers as you progress through the game!

UPDATES
We are constantly working to make Sun Stones better, adding more free content as well as additional paid features. Visit our forums or send us an email to make your opinions heard!

------------------------------------
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
------------------------------------

Visit our forums to keep track of updates, join the conversation and make friends with other players: http://kaijucombat.com/community/

--------------------------------
TECHNICAL SUPPORT:
--------------------------------

Did you find a bug? Do you have a question?

Email: support@sunstone.co

***Your 5 star ratings keep the updates coming!***

If you have any problems with Sun Stones please contact support@sunstone.co instead of leaving a negative review.

Our team will work diligently to solve any problems you may be having.

-------------
UPDATES:
-------------

COMING SOON

* More Puzzles
* Fully Featured Level Editor with Level Sharing
* Minor Bug Fixes

Copyright Sunstone Games 2012
All Rights Reserved

http://sunstone.co/

Mr. Strange's comments:

I founded Sunstone Games with a few simple guidelines:

1 : Players are intelligent
2 : Players appreciate quality
3 : Players come from every demographic

I've been a console developer for years, but I've always been very troubled by the way the game industry interacts with certain demographics - specifically women & children. I strongly believe that by simply eliminating bias it is very possible to create game experiences which are appropriate for players of any kind, without being condescending.

In this spirit, I'm pleased to announce our first commercial release:

Sun Stones.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sun-stones/id487767776

In Brief: Sun Stones is a Native-American-themed puzzle game. It requires no reading, and has no in-game instructions. It does get pretty complex if you get really far into it, but the complexity is never a barrier to progression.

Pricing: We're exploring pricing options still. On iOS, the app is free, but supports in-app-purchases for new levels, or a $2.99 "Full Game" option which includes all levels and the forthcoming level editor. Sun Stones is also available on the Andorid Marketplace, and the Amazon app store, including Kindle Fire. A version on the Nook is also forthcoming. Those versions do not currently support IAP - they are just a straight $2.99 to purchase.

So why should you care?

Well, I think we've managed to accomplish something really interesting with this game. The puzzles in this game are completely original - there has never been a game which uses this mechanic before. At the same time, solving each puzzle is totally intuitive. We spread the learning out over the first 48 puzzles - so there is a really nice natural learning curve. I've tested the game extensively with puzzle-loving 6-year-olds, and they do just as well as puzzle-loving adults.

Let's talk about the theme - I wanted the game to be about the Hopi, for a few reasons. First, I've always loved the book Arrow To The Sun, and wanted to use that visual style. Second, the Hopi are a very robust, interesting people with lots of history. They are almost totally non-violent, they are expert crafts makers and farmers, and they have a spiritual life which has been largely untainted by western civilization. This robustness has allowed their history & lore to be well documented, which was important for our research. We use a mix of traditional and original Hopi glyphs as the basis for our puzzles, and incorporate lots of traditional Hopi proverbs into our flavor text. Things like the Prophecy Rock, the Bear Clan - these were great sources of inspiration for the team, and for our puzzles.

My other inspiration here was to make a game where I could really strut my stuff - I'm a systems designer by vocation, and I wanted a game where the aesthetics were in service to the puzzles - not the other way around. These are real puzzles created by hand that you've never seen before - because they wouldn't work in any other context. I have a hard time telling people to play games that are just collections of recycled puzzles - or yet another "push the block" style mechanic. Sun Stones is what you get when the mechanics drive the entire game, and I couldn't be more satisfied. The more difficult puzzles still take me 20 minutes or more to figure out - and I created them! Once the level editor goes live we'll be doing monthly "best of" packs for free, so we'll see how devious the community can become.

The game is free on iOS, so while it costs noting for you to check it out, I'd love to get feedback from parents on this thread. If you want to try your hand at the more difficult puzzles, I won't stop you from making a purchase either

-- Simon Strange, Creative Director / Owner
Sunstone Games LLC
02-21-2012, 12:16 AM
Simon, I like what I see in the early going. The game is original, the graphics are simple but effective and the music is nice.

A couple of nitpicks for you: first, the swipe mechanic to enter every level is really annoying. I don't mind the animation, but I hope you will consider allowing a tap to work. Second, a game like this cries out for a way to quickly and easily restart a level to either improve your result, or abandon an attempt if you realize you've made a mistake. There should be options to restrat the level in both the pause menu and on the level result screen. Similarly, if I accidentally move to the next level and want to go back, it takes 5 taps to exit back out, enter the level menu, and pick the previous level. In my opinion that is too many, though this would be relatively minor if the above were addressed.

Then you need to dip your fingers in some mayo and smear it all over your iDevice screen for greater REALISM!
--Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan

02-21-2012, 12:19 AM
Quick Hits

My initial play-through showed a lot of promise for a well-executed and unique puzzler. The graphics are slick and the ambient soundtrack effectively draws players into the game. The gameplay is both captivating and intuitive as it quickly ramps up in difficulty as players progress through the levels. I enjoyed lining up the suns and seeing it transmute into stone and using these self-same stones to complete the puzzle. This is a clever way of combining existing"puzzle pieces" to create new pieces which will ultimately be used in the end-state solution. I've never seen anything like this in any iOS game.

I was only allowed to play through two "pages" of puzzles because the Profile system is confusing. Apparently, after logging in my username, the ID doesn't persist, resulting in my profile never being created. This became an issue because when I came back into the game and clicked through all three available profiles and not finding the one I created, I clicked "Profile 1" (which one would think would be the default, initial creation) only to discover that my progress disappeared and that I had to start the game all over again.

Other than that, I'm enjoying the game and may pull the trigger on purchasing the iaps once the Profile system becomes more intuitive and robust.

EDIT:
Profiles work fine. Copacetic.

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."
Drummerboycroy

Last edited by ColeDaddy; 02-21-2012 at 07:45 PM.
02-21-2012, 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguided View Post
Simon, I like what I see in the early going. The game is original, the graphics are simple but effective and the music is nice.

A couple of nitpicks for you: first, the swipe mechanic to enter every level is really annoying. I don't mind the animation, but I hope you will consider allowing a tap to work. Second, a game like this cries out for a way to quickly and easily restart a level to either improve your result, or abandon an attempt if you realize you've made a mistake.
Indeed, shake your device to reset the puzzle! We're looking for something to make this even easier, since this has been a consistent bit of feedback.

I'll look into allowing a tap to open the eye - that has NOT been a feedback we've heard before, but it should be relatively easy to support both.
02-21-2012, 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeDaddy View Post
I was only allowed to play through two "pages" of puzzles because the Profile system is confusing. Apparently, after logging in my username, the ID doesn't persist, resulting in my profile never being created. This became an issue because when I came back into the game and clicked through all three available profiles and not finding the one I created, I clicked "Profile 1" (which one would think would be the default, initial creation) only to discover that my progress disappeared and that I had to start the game all over again.
That is AWFUL! We've had no troubles reported with profiles, so if you could reproduce the problem that would be great data.

Indeed, the "name" of the profile should have no bearing on the data within. If the name was reset to "Profile 1" that says to me that the "delete profile" function must have been called. That's unlikely to happen from mis-tapping, since it requires a confirmation...

I hope you'll keep at it, and either not encounter those problems again or report back that you've found some evil, evil bug which has heretofore gone undiscovered. We're at just over 10,000 installs on iOS, and I've not heard any mention of profile deletions - so I'm at least moderately confident that there isn't anything seriously broken internally.
02-21-2012, 05:33 AM
Sorry but I don't understand what is so unique about this, feels alot like a basic tan gram puzzle game, but with stones instead..maybe I didn't play far enough.

I also hated having to open up the eye every level. And have to figure out which symbol I'm supposed to click on the level screen

Currently addicted to: Duet game, Threes, Tengami, Oquonie, Platforms Unlimited, Perloo, Wave Wave
02-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snozberry View Post
Sorry but I don't understand what is so unique about this, feels alot like a basic tan gram puzzle game, but with stones instead..maybe I didn't play far enough.
Well, tangrams have a fixed number of pieces you slot into each silhouette, while in Sun Stones you create / modify / destroy your pieces to fit each glyph. Figuring out how and where to create new pieces is the central mechanic, which I think is a pretty big difference.

The first four puzzles are simply about moving existing pieces around - to get people accustomed to the idea that there are three colors of stones, three shapes, etc. That usually takes only 3-4 minutes to work through, and then we start with your first transformation puzzles in The Hunt. Complexity spirals up from there.
02-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Strange View Post
Indeed, shake your device to reset the puzzle! We're looking for something to make this even easier, since this has been a consistent bit of feedback.

I'll look into allowing a tap to open the eye - that has NOT been a feedback we've heard before, but it should be relatively easy to support both.
An alternate way to reset would be greatly appreciated. Shaking to reset on an iPhone is ok, generally, but annoying with an iPad, particularly when the device is resting on a table.

Then you need to dip your fingers in some mayo and smear it all over your iDevice screen for greater REALISM!
--Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan
02-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snozberry View Post

I also hated having to open up the eye every level. And have to figure out which symbol I'm supposed to click on the level screen
Yeah, play through a few more levels. If you want to use a minimum of moves and get three stars you have to start thinking really carefully about where and when you want to transform stones. Yes there is a similarity to tangram puzzles, but that's just the beginning. It would be a bit like comparing chess to checkers because they use the same board.

--Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan
02-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Enjoying the DISCOVERY in this puzzler

This game is a real treat. Very unique. Just left 5 stars and a detailed review on the app store. You truly have created more than a game. You've made an experience. Thank you!