★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Carota! - A puzzle game for iOS

02-21-2012, 05:11 AM
Carota! - A 2D SNES-styled puzzle game for iOS

Hi all! Been a lurker in these boards and just keeping my head buried in the game I've been working on. Expected to finish and send to the app store by the end of the month!

Think Pipe Dream plus Tetris Plus. Very SNES-inspired, with 3 modes of play and 50 stages across 5 different levels.

I hope you'll enjoy it! Here are a few screenshots, with a video found on the site here: http://www.signal-blue.net/carota

UPDATE: nikhsterboi reminded me I can embed youtube here!

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by biminiroad; 02-26-2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Updating title, more accurate?
02-21-2012, 08:05 AM
The graphics look gorgeous and the gameplay seems to be excellent also. Probably an instabuy whenever it hits the stores. Any ETA?

Edit: nvm, it's end of the month/march

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3

02-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks LOLavi! I have about a week's worth of work left, some tidying up here and there. Can't wait to get it out!
02-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Holy jeebus! I just wet my pants in sheer excitement! Ohh, loving the look of this, it's a beauty.

Waiting for: Airborne Troopers, Mini Motor Racing. Minisquadron 2, Tweetland, Car Jack Streets 2, Drive Forever, Turf Geography Club, Junk Jack!!
Twitter: @nkatti
Proud Beta Tester of over 30 Games!
02-21-2012, 08:24 PM

Waiting for: Airborne Troopers, Mini Motor Racing. Minisquadron 2, Tweetland, Car Jack Streets 2, Drive Forever, Turf Geography Club, Junk Jack!!
Twitter: @nkatti
Proud Beta Tester of over 30 Games!
02-22-2012, 12:21 PM
This looks like it'll be a lot of fun! I really like the music in the youtube clip, too.

Any hint at what the 3 different modes of play are?
02-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Thanks, Trinza! I'll let my friend know, he's composed about 7 tracks for the game!

For the modes, there's a regular "arcade" version, which involves clearing levels with basic gameplay, a puzzle mode where you have a limited amount of moves to beat each stage, and Endless, where you can keep playing until you get a game over and play for the the highest score.

OpenFeint and GameCenter enabled for achievements and leaderboards, too!
02-26-2012, 12:22 AM
I've seen other devs add some concept art to their posts, so I figured why not since I have some! Nothing special, and I'm definitely not an artist, but here are some of the original concepts for 3 of 5 of my level monsters. Then adding a screen of the stage selection screen, with some of those monsters pixel-ized. Hope you like!

02-26-2012, 02:23 AM
Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin
This looks a lot like the aMAZEing Labyrinth, one of my favorite board games and iPhone apps. Is the gameplay similar to that? If so, it's definitely an instabuy for me.

Is there a release date for this yet?
02-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Thanks, SkyMuffin!

I just checked out The aMAZEing Labyrinth (this one, right? http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/28/po...labyrinth-ios/)

-- It sounds really similar, actually. In Carota! you're supposed to move and rotate tiles, getting the character to jump over a certain amount of them. I think the main challenge will be in the puzzle mode, where you can only beat the level in a limited amount of moves.

I'm so-so-so close now, I think I should have it prepared by the end of the week if I can work my butt off. So mid-March might be safe to say!