★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: The King: "Go! hunt the monsters! "
The soldiers: "Yes your Majesty!!"

In this game, you are the King.
Give orders to your soldiers and send them into various dungeons to look for monsters.

"HUNT THE MONSTERS!" features old-fashioned pixel graphics and 8-bit sounds in a new genre of role-playing game, now coming to your iPhone!
Embark on a great adventure whenever you have some free time in your hands.

~~Story~~

For his beloved but monster-freak little princess, the King sets off on an expedition to hunt and bring back the precious monsters.

The King, however, only gives out orders...
"I don't lose any sleep while waiting for good luck", so he says!
He's just taking it easy, waiting for his men to come back with the loot.

~~~~~~~~

Collect the loot in a swipe of the finger!
When all your soldiers are back from the hunting, just swipe your finger over their heads to collect the loot, which turns into GOLD coins.

Exchange GOLD coins for weapons
You need specific weapons in order to clear some stages. Buy whichever weapons you like with the GOLD coins you earned from the hunting. Use those weapons to defeat the bosses and clear your way through the different dungeons.

Collect all the monsters to complete your monster book!
Across many stages are hidden different types of monsters! Rare monsters are also lurking around, so be sure not to miss them! Your completed monster book will surely give you a big smile on your face!

Now, let the hunting begin!!

~~~~~~~~
Notice:
Please don't tamper with device's time setting. It may cause unexpected error.

GDSage's comments:

02-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Nice One. It does look interesting enough to let me give it a try. Will soon report back with some fresh Video Material about it.

02-21-2012, 11:36 AM
Looks like something-different kinda game. Potentially something bizarrely good like Half-Minute Hero? Looking forward to your impression, Sanuku *as usual*

EDIT: Downloading now since its free. Still looking forward to Sanuku's Impressions.

Last edited by R3TAL1AT3; 02-21-2012 at 11:39 AM.
02-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3TAL1AT3 View Post
Looks like something-different kinda game. Potentially something bizarrely good like Half-Minute Hero? Looking forward to your impression, Sanuku *as usual*

EDIT: Downloading now since its free. Still looking forward to Sanuku's Impressions.
This one definitely looks interesting. Im downloading now too, and will post imps later.

Since you've mentioned Half-Minute Hero, I hope they port it into the iOS. The bite-sized RPG will be a perfect game to take along in trains, buses, or waiting in line, or during break times.
02-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Since you've mentioned Half-Minute Hero, I hope they port it into the iOS. The bite-sized RPG will be a perfect game to take along in trains, buses, or waiting in line, or during break times.
Yes! So true!! Here's hoping
02-21-2012, 12:45 PM
Hmm... Why cant this game get sync'd into my ipod?
02-22-2012, 08:11 AM
Just came back from work. Will try this later after dinner. Bummer @ Exact-Psience. Don't worry, man. Will post impression later
02-22-2012, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
This one definitely looks interesting. Im downloading now too, and will post imps later.

Same, I finished both Half-Minute Hero 1 and 2 although 2 was in Japanese. Really hope some company will pick 1 and 2 up and port it to iOS.

Will be downloading this since it looks good.
02-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Just played for a while, posting my first impressions.

There's a advertisement bar at the bottom of the screen, I can't find any way of removing it. Takes away the whole 8 bit/ retro feel with the "You have (1) Prize Unclaimed!" or "Find Singles around your area!" messages.

Otherwise, this game is very simple and basic. Send your troops into a dungeon with 1 click and wait.
Yup, there's absolutely nothing to do to control the outcome except buy equipment with gold.

IAP items increases the gold you get and decreases the time taken for the hunt.

Last edited by justln; 02-22-2012 at 05:15 PM.
02-24-2012, 07:17 AM
Game Impressions

After 2 days of playing this game, i have to honestly say that I find this game to be very lacking in gameplay and mechanics-wise. Its essentially a one-finger game.

You are to capture monsters that dwells in the given dungeon. The target monster you are to capture in each of the stages is the Boss monster. To achieve the objective you must venture several times into the dungeon to capture the minions which will ultimately unlock the shop and various equipments to assist you in attaining the Boss.

All you do throughout the game is choose a dungeon, and wait. The battles and capturing are done automatically. The King (you!) wait outside the dungeon till the soldiers return with their monsters or as a gravestone (which will be resurrected for free afterwards when you touch 'em. The waiting period increases for later dungeons (waiting time being from few minutes ~early dungeons~ to over an hour ~later dungeons~)

For every monster captured, you are awarded gold coins. These coins are used to purchase equipments in the shop. The equipments does not modify your stats or improve your chances (with the exception of the IAP equipments) but merely act as a requirement to capture the monsters. Which kinda pointless in my opinion because it gives no strategic value whatsoever. You'll end up buying everything just simply because you need it. Other than buying equipments, the gold has no other uses.

There are IAP in this game which are all equipments that ACTUALLY modifies your gameplay. There are several available but they only affect 2 things (separately, not together) amount of gold earned AND decrease hunting time.

Once the Boss monster of the dungeon has been captured you are awarded a new dungeon to raid. There are a total of 6 dungeons.And you have a bestiary which provides detailed info for captured monsters.

This game could have been a good new kind of concept but the lack of content and the too simple tap-and-forget style fails to deliver even a decent experience. And the IAP equipments in my opinion are totally useless.

Since it's free, I suggest you guys download it and try it yourself. Maybe some of you might actually appreciate it.