★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Word Race - Fun new Word Game

02-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Word Race - Fun new Word Game

I'll start off by apologizing for not knowing how to get the app store link up here, but I did want to give a little love for this game since I ha en't seen a thread for it.

Word Race combines word hunting with horse racing (at least the type you find at a carnival). You are given a group of letters and have to make the best word you can out of them. The longer the word, the more your horse moves on the track. The trick is that you're racing against three other horses so you can't waste a lot of time looking for the longest word. Sometimes it's best to just get a small word out there and get a new group of letters.

The game has really good multiplayer functionality, though not through GameCenter (shame). Perhaps in an update. I like the way when I start a multiplayer game that you see the names of the "horses" loading up gate.

But there are achievements and little items that you can buy to increase your chances of winning. And there is a global leader board! I picked up the lite version but quickly paid for the full version to support the dev on this one.

Controls are easy and the graphical look is fun. Nostalgia hit me as soon as I saw the little horses on the posts.

Highly recommend at least picking up the Lite Version and I hope I see you on the track!

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5
02-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Note: original post refers to "Word Race Pro/Lite." "Word Race" is an entirely different game.

02-22-2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks Gabrien!

Yeah... I didn't realize that there was another game called "Word Race". I really recommend the Lite version for someone looking for something to pass the time.

There is a nice bit excitement around getting near the finish line and having the other horses charging fast.

Agent of TOFTT
02-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Game Impressions

I tried the lite version and like the game, but the consumable IAP guarantee I won't even consider the full.

Also what's up with the "multiplayer" mode? Obviously those aren't real people I'm playing against.
02-22-2012, 09:48 PM
I got the same impression on the multiplayer as well. Some of the names sounded too similar to horses names such as Misty. The lite version crashed a few times and after a few games would no longer play but just sent me to the Pro version window.

I really liked the theme though....
02-23-2012, 10:50 AM
I have been playing the game for a while now and haven't even used any of the gold I've won in the game (much less bought any). I'd pretty much forgot that there was IAP with the game. I guess I just don't use my carrots.

I'm also not sure if the people in the multiplayer games are real players or not, but I have noticed that the races are much tougher when I play on the multiplayer mode.

Agent of TOFTT