★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Cutout Fighter - new fighter from Eligo Games released!

02-23-2012, 03:48 AM
Cutout Fighter - new casual fighter from Eligo Games released!

Last edited by Eligo Games; 02-28-2012 at 02:08 PM.
02-23-2012, 03:50 AM

02-23-2012, 03:51 AM

02-23-2012, 03:52 AM

02-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by Eligo Games View Post
There have been a few queries regarding controls so I will try to answer that. When designing the game we have intentionally tried to keep controls minimalist and as easy to use as possible. We are aware that hardcore fighters love having as many options as possible, but we have tried to keep Cutout Fighter accessible to casual gamers. Complicated movements are not always elegantly implemented on touchscreen devices so we decided to build this streamlined control system which assists in choosing the most suitable movement as it is being performed (ie kick, punch). Yes, a block is a block and it's your defence maneuver in Cutout Fighter. We believe that this set of controls is right for enjoyable fighting experience on an iPhone especially paired with our different approach to traditional combos - the Paper Overdrives!
Doing a bit of postomancy, and bringing this discussion over into the release thread

You know, had SFIV Volt, King of Fighters and SoulCalibur (and to a lesser extent, Bruce Lee Dragon Story, Fight Night Champions, MMA and Blades of Fury) all proven that sophisticated controls can be elegantly implemented on a touchscreen, and that different evasive and defensive manuevers beyond the basic block can be made easily accessible without impairing the fighting experience (quite on the contrary, it refines and improves it tenfold), I'd have agreed to all your points above.

Well, unless you would say that SFIV Volt and SoulCalibur (or at least one of the games mentioned above) are not examples of an "enjoyable fighting experience on the iPhone", in which case I'd be interested to hear your reasoning

With so many good examples of sophisticated fighters ported directly to, ported with a minimum of dumbing-down to, or created exclusively for, iOS, the argument that simplification and streamlining is necessary to deliver a good fighting game for iOS is moot.

Your focus on casual gamers, however, is not. When viewed in light of your target audience, Cutout Fighter makes a lot of sense to me. And has the makings of a classic

(Impressions will follow shortly in a separate post)

Vocalist of Earthbridge and Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona
02-23-2012, 12:28 PM
This is by no means a hardcore fighting game (compared to SF4 or KoF), but it's still a ton of fun (not to mention gorgeous). Best way to describe it is a mash-up of a simplified fighting game and a Wario-Ware-style mini game collection. The whole paper aesthetics is pretty much spot on, the music is awesome, and the AI seems to be no push-over (at least in the little time I've spent with it). Just don't expect a deep fighting system.
02-23-2012, 12:34 PM
Game Impressions

The first impressions in this here wall'o'text are posted from the perspective of a fan of (comparably) sophisticated fighting games of depth (probably as a result of not having enough time to practice real-life street fighting and MMA as much as I would like to. Bring on the escapism and substitutionary behaviour ). For the casual perspective (on which I am really not worthy to comment ), go a-scrollin' to the end.

The developers of Cutout Fighters have been transparent in their desire to create an accessible, casual fighter, and from the first punches thrown, this shows. There is only one button, and attacks are chosen contextually (meaning that depending on your position and movement, different attacks are chosen. Often, this means that the game will cycle through two or three punches and a kick, in 3rd person 3D action adventure combo style).

I would like to say that this works wonderfully (after all, contextual attacks is much of the genius behind Lugary and Overgrowth), but most of the time, this means that the only strategy is to get up close, and press one button over and over.

There is only one defensive maneuver, a normal block, in addition to normal movement and jumping, leaving the player with very few options to turn the tide of a battle.

The developers said that they believed the Paper Overdrives were an important aspects of making Cutout Fighter an enjoyable fighting experience for iOS, and on the first few tries, they do seem very cool. But it soon becomes apparent that they are very static. There is a limited number of Paper Overdrives, shared between all characters, and they play the same way every time. Instead of adding depth, they quickly become a tedious break in the flow of combat, up to the point that I refrained from activating them after the first few times.

Unlike most combo systems, they also require no skill to activate, merely a press of the Paper Overdrive button, with no way to counter or avoid (this can be compared to Street Fighters supers and ultras, which, while sometimes really difficult to avoid, can almost always be evaded somehow. Though I really wish there was a way to play online games with one-button activations of supers and ultras disabled...).

When put together, the result is less of a traditional fighter, but a brawler or a slugger. Gameplay consists of pushing one button time and time again, doing the occasional jump to either close the distance or get out of sticky situations and corners, and waiting for the Paper Overdrives to become accessible. Once the Overdrive minigame is over, rinse and repeat.

And as far as I can tell, that is really ALL there is to it. So far, ANY battle can be won by pressing one button, plus the occasional jump and Paper Overdrive.

The one-button control scheme means that except for characters graphics and animations, and different basic attacks, there can be rather little variation in between characters (of which there are seven). Perhaps some of them move at different speeds, jump longer, or can withstand more damage (is this the case, devs?), but there is nothing in the ways of a personal set of special attacks for each character.

Unless I've misunderstood something, the IAP is probably going to annoy some of you. As far as I can tell, there is no way to progress or unlock content without spending money. Unlike what the developers posted in the upcoming thread, Cutout Fighter does not use a freemium model, but is basically a demo, in where you have access to two characters, one map, and only the quick game mode. To use all characters and run tournaments, you have to purchase the Unlock All package, for 3 dollars.

Personally, I find this very fair, but the "freemium" moniker is not representative, in context of how it is normally used by developers.

So, I'm sorry to report that with all this in mind, for any fan of fighting games with depth and tactical variation, Cutout Fighter is about as far from a satisfying fighter that you can come. I have never played a more simplified, streamlined and dumb-downed fighting game (and I have even played one or two flash-based beat 'em-ups ).

If you belong to that crowd, stay well, well away. Every round of Cutout Fighter is one that could be spent playing SFIV Volt, King of Fighters or SoulCalibur (or even Bruce Lee Dragon Story, Fight Night Champions, MMA or Blades of Fury). Yes, even if you've played all those games to utter boredom, you regularly defeat Akuma on Grueling with only basic punches, and Daigo personally begged you not to attend the next SFIV tournament

Ok, time to switch gears. Casual mode. And from this here vantage point, Cutout Fighter is looking mighty good. I was not aware that there WAS a casual fighting game audience (though for the sake of Eligo Games, I sure hope there is ). But if there is, Cutout Fighter will probably lead the pack.

This is all based on me trying to emulate the mindset of a casual gamer, but here goes: Very visually appealing (even without Retina, though sharper edges and anti-aliasing sure would be nice), VERY accessible, simple but satisfying, Paper Overdrives are spectacular and intuitive, the music is perky and nice, the setting is perhaps not quite as unique these days (there have been a number of paper-inspired worlds for iOS) as it used to be, but it still stands out, and is well realized, the presentation is very good, and the overall strength of appeal is powerful.

Cutout Fighter might very well draw in some casual gamers who are itching for a break from the endless hordes of (often very good) casual puzzlers, and offer some hands-on relief for the active digital farmer who is loathe to vent his frustration on his cattle and crops.

With the App Store pricing culture, however, I'm not so sure the casual audience will drop 3 dollars on this, though. Sadly, any price point over 1-2 dollars is usually reserved for gamers of the at least slightly more hardcore persuasion. But I hope I (and market analysts) are wrong in this regard

And that's my grand and ambivalent conclusion. One of the last games hardcore fighting fans (or indeed any kind of hardcore gamer) should go near, one of the first casual actions gamers should download and play the cellulose fiber crap out of, and definitively something to check out when those blocks and crops start looking mighty tiresome for the rest of you casualites But with a hesitant word of warning to the devs that mayhap the Unlock All price point is a tad too high for the intended audience...

Vocalist of Earthbridge and Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona

Last edited by Ayjona; 02-23-2012 at 12:39 PM.
02-23-2012, 05:01 PM

02-23-2012, 05:09 PM

Last edited by Eligo Games; 02-28-2012 at 02:09 PM.
02-24-2012, 04:39 PM

Last edited by Eligo Games; 02-28-2012 at 02:09 PM.