★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: New Genre?

11-16-2008, 02:07 AM
New Genre?

There seems to be a growing trend with retro styled games that aren't retro. Blue Defense (was Defend!) is a good example. It seems retro somehow, but it's definitely not. Vextrax also feels retro but isn't.

Tonight, a game called Incline came out.
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=296743758&mt=8
It has simple bright graphics, sort of like Blue Defense. The gameplay isn't retro at all, but the style is something that seems to be catching on in the App Store.

Is this a genre yet? I hope devs keep making these kinds of games. I think they're a lot of fun.

GameCenter: NotYou_ver1.0
11-16-2008, 02:30 AM
interesting thought.

I don't know if it's really a genre. I think these games were inspired by the older games. Blue Defense looks very vector based. But it may be a side effect of low budget indie developers who can't afford artists and whatnot.

arn

11-16-2008, 02:44 AM
I'm really enjoying incline. I don't know what to call them but I hope it's the start of a trend. Would you call cube runner one of these I would
11-16-2008, 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyemh8 View Post
I'm really enjoying incline. I don't know what to call them but I hope it's the start of a trend. Would you call cube runner one of these I would
I've been enjoying Incline too. The lower difficulties aren't even worth trying, but the harder two are pretty fun. It's one of those games that makes you keep saying "just one more" over and over.

GameCenter: NotYou_ver1.0
11-16-2008, 03:27 AM
@NotYou

I'm new here and here's my 2cents.

I'm only 50% with you...

Any publisher knows that NEW equals RISKS. Assuming they have a good dev team, it is _always_ safer to assign them to do, for example, a racing game as oppose to something new.

The evidence is right on the appstore top 100 games. There are tonz of cards, sudokus, racing, desktop-game-ports or "tradition games" if you like it, on there. New genre games? Very few. Games like line rider could be considered new and is a rare exception of something new that did well. I came across a lot of new innovative games that flopped terribly. The irony of it all: like the game ZA! (which i saw in your sig) took a risk and tried something new with the TD genre. I like the game, it is a lot of fun for a buck. But it doesn't seem to be doing well at all. The general public just don't snuggle up to new gameplay easily.

As i see it, doing another game-port, racing or card game is just safer than doing anything new. The general public is just too adverse to trying out new genre games. Most of us fear things (even games) we'd never seen or tried before. It is not true for everyone, but it is for the majority.
11-16-2008, 04:29 AM
I am a huge retro gaming fan, so if they were to give retro games their own category, I'd be in heaven!
11-16-2008, 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeersoup View Post
I am a huge retro gaming fan, so if they were to give retro games their own category, I'd be in heaven!
you just proved my point. Thanks.
11-16-2008, 04:47 AM
A simple game like that only compatible with 2nd gen touch? What are you doing apple are you slowly forcing people to buy your new device??? Damn it!
11-16-2008, 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monk666 View Post
you just proved my point. Thanks.
Yeah, that's the kind of "gamer" I am. I spend most of my time downloading emulators and ROMs more than I do playing any kind of "new" games

I just enjoy them more

My whole list of wanted games are all ports of existing ones

But like I said, that's just me

EDIT: Also, this doesn't mean I don't like the "newer" games. I have downloaded quite a few of the newer games that haven't been seen before. The sole advantage of new games is that people can't be disappointed that the game played better on a different platform or console

Last edited by rootbeersoup; 11-16-2008 at 06:06 AM.
11-16-2008, 10:26 AM
example of another "newer" game that did well:
Toy Bot Diaries 1 or 2