★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: A "Great Apps for the new iPad" and "What We're Playing" Staff pick. - Now with new iPad Retina Graphics!
"Players looking for something immersive, challenging, look no further!" - 148Apps.com

Operation: Eradicate is a unique cooperative turn-based strategy game that pits your wits against the zombie hordes.

Play on your own, or team up in turn based matches!

Check out brand new Game Mode, and the Retina graphics for the new iPad.

From the ashes of the last global war, a new threat rises that threatens all people. Calling them the 'Infected One' or just plain Zombies matters little if they kill us all.

"This game will be consuming your strategy-board game-loving brains - 5/5 Re-playability" - IOSStrategyGames.com

"Board game fans will have a lot of fun!" SlideToPlay.com

"The perfect marriage between the strategy of Risk and raw terror of The Walking Dead"

"It is a unique challenge, quick to learn and difficult to master."

"Highly Enjoyable" - Games and Grub.com

Join the crusade alone, or enter a Game Center Turn Based Match and play with others world wide.

Control any of five different commanders, all with unique abilities, to rid the world of the plague slowly dying monsters. It is your against the masses. Race to decimate the hordes before they overwhelm the planet.

Play matches with two to four commanders on three different difficulty levels (including the No Hope! Challenge).

Key Features:
* Retina Graphics for the new iPad!
* Two Different Game Modes
* Universal App (Works on iPad& iPhone)
* New iPad Retina HD Graphics
* Board Game feel, iPad looks
* Double Tap Zoom and Touch Panning on Map
* Cooperative Turn Based Strategy mechanics
* Full Retina Graphics
* Game Center Turn Based Multiplayer available
* Five specialized characters to command
* Play a 2, 3 or 4 character game for vastly different challenges
* Includes hand drawn commissioned artwork
* Three different Difficulty levels
* Game Center Leader boards & Achievements
* Multi-step tutorial to quickly learn the game

Optimized for the iPad and iPad 2.
High Res graphics for iPhone 4 and 4S (and 4th gen iPod)

NOTE: iPod/iPhone shoppers, zoom and panning coming in next update!

Also note: Also playable on the iPhone 3G(3GS) and 3rd gen iPods (though with less clarity).

Currently on in English. Plans to translate coming soon!

Skejo Studios is an independent game developer established in 2011 and located in Irvine California, USA. Skejo Studios specializes in iOS strategy and casual games.

Visit at Skejo.com
Like Us at FaceBook.com/SkejoStudios
Follow Us at Twitter.com/SkejoStudios

Tango's comments:
Anyone heard anything about this game? Popped up on the What's New list on Appshopper. Looks like it might be pretty awesome. The description is pretty vague on game play, but it looks like it plays something like Risk.

Feature set looks great and includes:
  • Cooperative turn-based strategy (via Game Center for 2-4 people)
  • Retina Support
  • Universal
  • Achievements
  • Detailed Tutorial

Here is a link to the developers website.

02-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Gameplay video from developer:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Shame there doesn't appear to be a single player component or I would be on it.

Last edited by undeadcow; 02-26-2012 at 09:33 AM.

02-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Found this manual on the website which has a pretty good game play tutorial in it with pictures.

Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
Since it is co-op versus the AI, I wonder if you could play it like Ghost Stories and just control 2-4 of the team members yourself?
02-26-2012, 09:45 AM
This looks like a clone of the popular co-op boardgame Pandemic. The dev has changed the theme from curing diseases to the eradication of zombies, but from what I can tell most of he base mechanics are still intact. No mention of Pandemic on the dev wepage or designer blog, so that makes me wonder if this is an authorized clone.

You can find out more about the original game here, for those curious about mechanics and strategies:
02-26-2012, 12:06 PM
co-op only?

i've been looking for a simple boardgame, and the premise of this looks pretty interesting, but since i only play offline single player games, dont think this is for me

Playing: Ski Safari, Polara, Girls Like Robots, Dynamite Jack, Monster Flip, Polymer, Super Mole Escape, Dream of Pixels, Radballs
02-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Game Impressions

I bought this the second it came out last night (An async co-op boardgame? Had to check it out.), and have done the tutorial and played three full games on an iPad 2.

First of all, there IS a single player mode. In fact, that's what the big "New Game" label on the main menu takes you to. Multiplayer is almost hidden, being started by a little unlabeled icon on the side of the main menu. All I've played so far is single player, so I can't yet judge the multiplayer.

Second: I've never played the board-game Pandemic, but I just now went and skimmed through the rules on Board Game Geek and... yeah, this is HEAVILY "inspired" by that game, right down to individual rule details. I'm not going to get into the ethics of cloning, and instead just want to look at the game itself.

You're playing on a map of the globe containing a network of roughly 48 cities. Each city has a level of zombie infestation ranging from zero to three, and each turn a couple cities at random have their infestation rating increased by one. If the chosen city is already at the maximum level three when this happens, that causes an "outbreak" and all connected cities have THEIR infestation level increased by one. This can cause a chain reaction if you're not careful. If 8 outbreaks happen through the course of the game, the game ends.

You control between 2 and 4 agents who move in turn, each getting four actions per round. Each turn the agent is dealt two city cards. Your goal is to "stabilize" the four regions of the globe, which you do by having an agent collect and then spend five city cards from a region. Your main actions each turn are moving the agent from city to city (moving to a connected city just takes an action, or you can spend a card to jump straight to its city), and fighting the zombies in the city you're on, which lowers the infestation level by one.

I'm leaving out some details, but that gives you the general idea.

The trick is balancing all that with the limited supply of cards at your disposal and the limited number of actions per turn. Do you ignore potential outbreaks and focus on the long term goal of stabilizing regions, or do you waste time and resources squashing every zombie you see? I've played three games on "easy" difficulty, and have lost every time, so I guess I haven't figured out the answer yet (obviously some sort of balance between the two extremes is required).

The iOS game this reminded me of the most is Forbidden Island, with increasing zombie infestation replacing the rising tide.

So, is it any good? There are a few rough edges in the implementation, particularly in the interface. For instance, to move your agent you first have to tap a TINY little "move" icon next to the city he's in, and then tap the city you want to move to. Why is it necessary to have that teeny tiny icon right next to the city (on the non-scrolling non-zoomable map)? It's not like I might move from some OTHER city. Just make a nice big move icon in the corner of the map (there's a big empty stretch of ocean in the south-west). Or, better yet, don't even HAVE a move icon. If I want to move, just let me tap my destination. Also, the game has a 24 turn time limit, but there's no way to tell what turn you're on! My last two games just suddenly ended when I ran out of turns. (I'm going to feel really stupid if somebody here tells me there's a turn counter I just didn't notice.)

The thing is, once you learn to deal with the interface quirks, the game IS fun and challenging. My first game I got completely slaughtered while I learned the rules, but some of the subtleties started sinking in and I found myself really pondering some tough, interesting choices during my next two attempts. I woke up this morning still thinking about the game, and considering what strategies I'll try next.

With my limited play time I consider this more of a "first impressions" than a full review, but right now I'm enjoying myself. I'm looking forward to trying async multiplayer (a feature I desperately wish Forbidden Island had) after I get another single player match or two under my belt.
02-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
Gameplay video from developer:
YouTube: video

Yes, you can play in a single player mode on your own device. You will just switch turns controlling all the players.
02-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the really quick take you made. I am Greg from Skejo Studios, and you are correct that a few of us played Pandemic a bunch last summer. We actually approached the publisher, ZMan-Games about doing the iPad port of the game, but they had just been bought by a larger European company, and said it would be done in the next 12-18 months.

So, we stopped playing Pandemic, crafted a new map, commissioned hand-drawn artwork, changed a bunch of rules (the are in the background as the computer does all the heavy lifting) changed the win-lose conditions a great deal, coded and playtested it over the last four months.

You are accurate that Operation: Eradicate was inspired by Pandemic, but we believe it is its own game.

Also, we have been tinkering with the move/fight icons for a while. On the iPad we think we hit the mark, but the iPhone is so small that is was a difficult balance. Too big and they block adjacent cities, too small and they are hard to touch. We will take all feedback and update as we go. We are committed to updating and expanding the game.

02-27-2012, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by SharpCarlos View Post
The iOS game this reminded me of the most is Forbidden Island, with increasing zombie infestation replacing the rising tide.
Just wanted to point out that the physical board game Forbidden Island is itself a redo of Pandemic.

Also, thanks for taking the time to do a review! Very in-depth and informative.
03-01-2012, 08:00 AM
Greg: I'm loving the game but having the same issue SharpCarlos is - I can't tell how many turns remain. Is there a way to see what turn it is?