★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

WordCrasher Blitz [Universal, Free] (by Pixels on Toast)

02-26-2012, 02:45 PM
#1
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 118
WordCrasher Blitz [Universal, Free] (by Pixels on Toast)


http://itunes.com/app/wordcrasherblitz

Some of you TA veterans might remember WordCrasher from January 2010, as featured on TUAW and MacWorld. Well, it's about time I brought WordCrasher up to date, creating the ultimate version, WordCrasher Blitz. Free to play from the App Store right now!

For those who haven't played WordCrasher before, imagine Tetris meets Boggle meets physics, and you won't be far off.

New features
  • Full universal app - iPad, Retina, all the good stuff.
  • Letter multipliers - x2, x3 and x4 markers on some letters. This... changes... everything...
  • Every game you play contributes to your WordMaster level. I'm not sure anyone will ever manage to max out at 50. We'll see!
  • New "Quick Game" mode - 5 words, minimal time pressure. Great for the bus stop.
  • All new graphics
  • Twitter support under iOS 5
  • 60fps gameplay (up from 40fps)
  • Magical price of FREE. I want *everyone* to try WordCrasher Blitz. Full disclosure - there will be ads at the top of the screen (AdMob), which you can optionally remove by paying $0.99 as an in-app purchase.

Classic features
  • Realistic tactile physics. Letters bounce, stack, roll and respond to tilt
  • Game Center and OpenFeint
  • Over 190,000 words recognized in US, UK and International English
  • Every *unique* word you enter is tracked, and the game tracks your vocabulary. And yes there is a leader board for that - the current WordCrasher champ has entered over 20,000 unique words!
  • Marathon and Flood Panic games modes (in addition to the new Quick Game mode)
  • Freeze time and Bomb powerups


Kevin (ex EA and Rockstar Games coding serf, now lone dev type)
Pixels on Toast (link)

(I'm the guy making Food Run too, check it out)
02-26-2012, 08:32 PM
#2
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,146
So what about people who bought the original WordCrasher?

Why has that now been removed from the store only to be replaced by this (nearly identical) version for which we must now pay again to remove ads?

02-26-2012, 10:37 PM
#3
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, USA
Posts: 3,654

02-27-2012, 05:26 PM
#4
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 118
Gabrien, apologies for my late reply. E-mail thread notifications don't seem to be working for me at the moment.

The new version adds iPad support, new graphics, new music, a new game mode and multipliers amongst other things. The original was released over two years ago (January 2010). It received *huge* updates in those two years. It was just screaming out for a sequel. But yes, feel free to play the old version. Good old WordCrasher works just as well as it did at launch, in fact, after all the updates it received, even better.
02-27-2012, 05:29 PM
#5
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 118
Launch trailer:
02-27-2012, 06:05 PM
#6
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelsOnToast View Post
Gabrien, apologies for my late reply. E-mail thread notifications don't seem to be working for me at the moment.

The new version adds iPad support, new graphics, new music, a new game mode and multipliers amongst other things. The original was released over two years ago (January 2010). It received *huge* updates in those two years. It was just screaming out for a sequel. But yes, feel free to play the old version. Good old WordCrasher works just as well as it did at launch, in fact, after all the updates it received, even better.
Sorry but that does not hold water. I won't bother arguing against what you have listed as new features and their validating a whole new app, since the most damning argument is the point you chose not to address: the original version has been removed from the store.
02-27-2012, 06:33 PM
#7
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 118
WordCrasher was selling for $1.99 on the App Store. I couldn't very well continue to sell it alongside the old version, knowing that the new version is free to play, and $0.99 to remove ads. I've prevented new players from accidentally purchasing the old version, and subsequently becoming enraged that they could have tried the sequel for free. That's very important. I haven't (and indeed, couldn't have) prevented old players from continuing to enjoy the game.

I'm sorry that you find this distasteful, Gabrien. I'm a one-man developer, and I have a policy of treating my customers as I would like to be treated myself. Fairly, and with lots of updates. I'm disappointed that you feel let down. If you are at all interested, I'd like to offer you a part in the beta programme for Food Run (TA thread), the first round of which is happening soon. PM me if you want in. Your feedback would be most welcome.

Kind Regards,

Kevin

Last edited by PixelsOnToast; 02-27-2012 at 06:40 PM.
02-27-2012, 07:27 PM
#8
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelsOnToast View Post
WordCrasher was selling for $1.99 on the App Store. I couldn't very well continue to sell it alongside the old version, knowing that the new version is free to play, and $0.99 to remove ads. I've prevented new players from accidentally purchasing the old version, and subsequently becoming enraged that they could have tried the sequel for free. That's very important. I haven't (and indeed, couldn't have) prevented old players from continuing to enjoy the game.

I'm sorry that you find this distasteful, Gabrien. I'm a one-man developer, and I have a policy of treating my customers as I would like to be treated myself. Fairly, and with lots of updates. I'm disappointed that you feel let down. If you are at all interested, I'd like to offer you a part in the beta programme for Food Run (TA thread), the first round of which is happening soon. PM me if you want in. Your feedback would be most welcome.

Kind Regards,

Kevin
I've got to say that I'm with Gabrien on this one. I'm getting so sick of devs doing this sort of thing. It's happening more and more and it should not be allowed. Removing the original that I and others have paid for is inexcusable regardless of your 'reasons.' IMO it is the same game except now I have ads while I play (Unless I pay to remove them). Nice one!!

Game Centre, Openfeint, Crystal, Gameloft Live and PSN ID: Smallville2106

Last edited by pavarotti2007; 02-27-2012 at 08:17 PM.
02-27-2012, 09:39 PM
#9
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 109
So far the gameplay is flawless!

A few suggestions for a future update...
*Since I've purchased to have the ads removed, I'd like to see that big store button gone. I'd place it somewhere else, like in a corner (once purchased).
**Make it easier to access the Game Center leaderboards. Not a button that sends you to it, but have it accessible in game. Basically, when you enter this menu, GC scores should already be pre-loaded in a nice looking in game menu. That way it's more enjoyable when you go to see the things such as the weekly leaderboards.

CURRENT FAVORITES: Hearthstone, Cards and Castles, Clash Royale, Zen Pinball, Blades of Brim, Peggle Blast
02-28-2012, 04:31 AM
#10
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFidelity View Post
So far the gameplay is flawless!

A few suggestions for a future update...
*Since I've purchased to have the ads removed, I'd like to see that big store button gone. I'd place it somewhere else, like in a corner (once purchased).
**Make it easier to access the Game Center leaderboards. Not a button that sends you to it, but have it accessible in game. Basically, when you enter this menu, GC scores should already be pre-loaded in a nice looking in game menu. That way it's more enjoyable when you go to see the things such as the weekly leaderboards.
Some good ideas. Having a nice in-game leaderboard would be great, rather than breaking out to OpenFeint. Always prefer those when I see them, I'll add it to the wish list. I do have to keep the store button around somewhere, as Apple dictates you must always have the ability to "Restore Purchases".