★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: No Mario Yet

08-07-2008, 02:13 PM
No Mario Yet

Just wondering... how come there is no Mario yet for the iPod touch/iPhone on the App Store? I'm not sure if Nintendo is planning to do anything for the iPhone/iPod touch or something, but they don't have to, right? I think someone else would be able to, too, as long as they don't copy an entire game that Nintendo made. I mean, I think Mario would be pretty interesting on the iPhone/iPod touch. Not only is there a "Super Mario 64" for DS out there, there is also a "Mario Party DS", classic Mario... if I actually knew HTML and could pay $99 for the Apple Developer Program, I would make an app that has something to do with Mario...
08-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Highly Doubt it.

Hi, correct me if I'm wrong but I've yet to see a Mario game on anything but a Nintendo console as it is there trademarked character and therefore no 3rd party developer apart from them would be able to use him or any of the other characters in the franchise they have trademarks for.
However that said I would like to see a Mario game on the iPhone made by nintendo but I don't think that will ever occur.

Last edited by Barnsey; 08-07-2008 at 02:26 PM.

08-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Send a message via MSN to Stahl
HTML is a language for the internet only, you cannot design an app with HTML. Apps on iPhone are programed in objective C and other C based languages which work on the iPhone. Also, as the other poster has said, Mario will most likely never become "legally" available. Nintendo has a DS which has Mario. DS and iPhone are almost competing now for the game market, or they will be soon since the iPhone is a more powerful system.
08-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahl View Post
HTML is a language for the internet only, you cannot design an app with HTML. Apps on iPhone are programed in objective C and other C based languages which work on the iPhone. Also, as the other poster has said, Mario will most likely never become "legally" available. Nintendo has a DS which has Mario. DS and iPhone are almost competing now for the game market, or they will be soon since the iPhone is a more powerful system.
Yeah, that pretty much proves I don't know anything about writing an app...

And I guess there isn't much of a chance of Mario getting on the iPhone...

Last edited by break5; 08-07-2008 at 08:13 PM.
08-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Send a message via MSN to Stahl
Quote:
Originally Posted by break5 View Post
Yeah, that pretty much proves I don't know anything about writing an app...

And I guess there isn't much of a chance of Mario getting on the iPhone, just a thought.
I think I read about something like a NES emulator for Jailbroken iPhones, so if you are desperate I guess you could try that, I've never jailbroken mine so Idk how it works or w/e or if we can even discuss that on here.
08-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahl View Post
I think I read about something like a NES emulator for Jailbroken iPhones, so if you are desperate I guess you could try that, I've never jailbroken mine so Idk how it works or w/e or if we can even discuss that on here.
there IS a NES emulator available for jailbroken phones and to be honest, it plays great, however making an official mario application you would need a lot of signatures from the right people.
08-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Send a message via AIM to mikeadams
i read somewhere, (i believe pocketgamer) that nintendo is working with apple for something, because they do see the ipod touch/iphone as a threat to ds sales. nothing that comes out from them will interfere with ds games or sales but they do plan on doing some stuff for touch/iphone.