★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

LevelHelper/SpriteHelper vs TexturePacker/PhysicsEditor

02-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Send a message via AIM to jwei44
LevelHelper/SpriteHelper vs TexturePacker/PhysicsEditor

I'm on the fence for the two, and would like to know which two I should go with. Or are they both different in ways?
02-27-2012, 09:24 PM
I own all of the above, and I end up using them in different ways. I find texture packer and physics editor to be the superior tool if you aren't planning to have visual level design. However, for visual level design and just making things easy with collision detection, joints, etc Level Helper is the way to go. LevelHelper makes stuff a lot simpler, it just doesn't feel quite as powerful for a power user(I haven't figured out how to auto-trace sprites to make physics shapes for example).

02-27-2012, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhspaybar View Post
I own all of the above, and I end up using them in different ways. I find texture packer and physics editor to be the superior tool if you aren't planning to have visual level design. However, for visual level design and just making things easy with collision detection, joints, etc Level Helper is the way to go. LevelHelper makes stuff a lot simpler, it just doesn't feel quite as powerful for a power user(I haven't figured out how to auto-trace sprites to make physics shapes for example).
How HARD is level design with only TP/PE? And opinions on SpriteHelper?
02-28-2012, 11:57 AM
If you just use TP/PE you have to design levels non-graphically, or make your own graphical editor. I.E. hard coding elements in each level, creating an XML markup file that can be parsed, or duplicating some of the functionality of LevelHelper that you may need in your own graphical tool.
03-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhspaybar View Post
If you just use TP/PE you have to design levels non-graphically, or make your own graphical editor. I.E. hard coding elements in each level, creating an XML markup file that can be parsed, or duplicating some of the functionality of LevelHelper that you may need in your own graphical tool.
So, if in the long run, I plan on doing things graphically, will SpriteHelper and LevelHelper be enough for me to work with atlases and physics? Or is PE more fleshed out for physics, and TP more for atlases. I just need to know if Sprite/LevelHelper are enough for the long run
03-01-2012, 02:03 PM
If you're a flash developer

Don't know if you're a Flash developer or not, but my partner and I created a tool specifically for getting sprites out of Flash and into Corona (.lua)

It's free to use for a month:
http://www.loqheart.com/spriteloq

Kind of a niche tool, but incredibly useful if you're working on those 2 platforms.
03-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the offer, but I'm not a flash dev.
03-01-2012, 03:21 PM
no worries. Like I said, it's a very niche tool.

Why type of game are you building? Do you anticipate using a lot of sprites and animations? Are you planning on building a lot of levels?

I've only had experience with Texturepacker/Physics editor, and I think it's a pretty versatile tool. There's always limitations, but I'd say go with that and see how you like it.
03-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_loqheart View Post
no worries. Like I said, it's a very niche tool.

Why type of game are you building? Do you anticipate using a lot of sprites and animations? Are you planning on building a lot of levels?

I've only had experience with Texturepacker/Physics editor, and I think it's a pretty versatile tool. There's always limitations, but I'd say go with that and see how you like it.
I'm on the fence between a Tower Defense, and something like Braid/SMB.
03-01-2012, 03:30 PM
I think if you go with Tower Defense, you should definitely go with TexturePacker.

If you go with Braid/SMB, you should probably have a LevelHelper.

Just my opinion though.

Indie Game Developer
Co-Founder of Loqheart
Developing a Wizard Academy game called Wizards of Prestige