★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Small Ball Pinball

05-13-2009, 05:40 AM
Small Ball Pinball

Interesting new free pinball game.
Gotta be the tallest pinball table ever...
It's not like a regular pinball game, but it's free and fun...

smallballpinball,grandcanyon
05-13-2009, 06:55 AM
Looks unfinished - but nothing wrong with that given the cost.

Flippers seem a little weak / spongy and elements of the scenery suggest bumpers / switches to be hit. The top also seems sparse.
I do like the multi-height. Reminds me of Devil Crash which was (is) a superb game.

Look forward to seeing the next step.

05-13-2009, 06:58 AM
It says this is the first in their episodic series, perhaps more updates?
(Hopefully not just releasing more games, but nothing wrong if they're also free)

05-13-2009, 07:43 AM
Never lose your orbs again!

Since I could not find any Pause function I had to stop it with the home button at around 6,000 points (15 minutes) to write a quick review. But you won't lose the score then! When you launch the game again there is a "score upload" routine (that doesn't work for the time being as announced there) after "Score/Continue" but then you can resume the previous game with the "Play" button at the top, left side.

Not only because of the absolute minimalistic user interface it's a very interesting pinball game. The first one where the complete touchscreen is reserved for triggering the flippers. Tap in the middle: All flippers will move! Pretty graphics, theme: American National parks.

As said before by markx2: The physics seem unfinished. Most of the time the ball seems to be too heavy -- it runs like in slow motion or "under water". Nevertheless it can get really fast sometimes. I am not quite sure but maybe it is getting harder and more realistic in the "higher" playfields...

The first completely "plunger-free" pinball as far as I remember.

The gameplay is very nice and reminds a bit of Freeballin' (graphics, animations, falling leaves, "climbing up" to new tables...) and of Pinball Destruction: Some playfield elements get destructed. Nice: When you return to a table there are timed ball savers between the flippers. I could not discover any cruel out-gutters so far :-)

I won't give any hints -- you have to discover yourself :-) Don't read the gray text if you don't want to cheat. Nice skill shots at the top of the first set of tables (three parts) with the hole (trap), the skull with it's blue crown (it gets interesting when lit) and the one flipper at the right side. When you follow the arrow there comes a complete different table with lots of flippers.

Permanent vertical scrolling, fixed portrait view, it's part of the gameplay. Info browser inside with not much content for the time being. Tested on iPhone 3G and newest iPod touch: Rock stable so far, smooth graphics, good framerates.

And it never ends obviously. I've lost the "last ball" (3, 5?) several times at the lowest table -- then the game will repeat the last seconds as often until you manage it to flip it back to playfield!

Let's say: It's (too) easy (just in the "lower" tables?) but motivating. When they get the physics better it's one of the top pinball games exclusively (?) for iDevices.

Edit: Found some official info there (with story): http://www.fractoscope.com/pinball/index.jsp
Click on the screenshot.

Here we have it: "In SmallBall Pinball games you don't ever lose your ball so play as long as you like and save your quarters for the laundry."

Something very different indeed. Nice idea. But it's not really a challenge to get into the highscore list: The longer you play, the higher the score. Maybe I am not nerd enough or I didn't get something ;-)

Good sound (mono), no music (iPod stops), no accelerometer support (I personally don't miss it really).

So since it's free: Just buy it and tell us how you like it. Maybe you get addicted to pinball games then ;-) Something new in town:

Don't insert coin here

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)

Last edited by Habakuk; 05-13-2009 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Added informations
05-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Just wondering how many tables there are...
I have gotten to the table with a lot of flippers (after following the lit arrow, on the screen with the skull.)
Are there any tables after that one?
That's as high as I got.
05-15-2009, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gekkota View Post
I have gotten to the table with a lot of flippers (after following the lit arrow, on the screen with the skull.)
That's as high as I got.
No the game ends and you can upload your final score once you pass through the top of that level, but the high score feature is not working yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habakuk View Post
Never lose your orbs again!

And it never ends obviously. I've lost the "last ball" (3, 5?) several times at the lowest table -- then the game will repeat the last seconds as often until you manage it to flip it back to playfield!
You lose 500 points from your score.
05-15-2009, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gekkota View Post
That's as high as I got.
Technically, there's one, but I'm pretty sure there are three areas of the table. I'm really liking this game, with the exception of the slow flippers.

Plus+/OpenFeint Username: gscal
05-15-2009, 11:39 PM
This is a pretty decent pinball game for free. I checked it out last night.