Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Developer
iPad, OS 4.x

Default Fruit Blitz! By Rubicon

Well, a sexy fruit squishing game at any rate. Please check out our latest release - "Fruit Blitz" available now.

Let's be honest, there's no ground being broken here but we think our usual level of polish and the facebook team leaderboards make it stand out a little bit. As does the calypso soundtrack.

Ninety second blitz gaming with social elements might be just the job for that trip home but my wife can't stop playing the bloody thing all day

A free with ads version is coming out rsn if you want to check it out without dropping a dollar first.

Thanks for reading, now go buy it!

Last edited by Rubicon; 02-28-2012 at 03:55 PM..
Old 02-28-2012, 04:08 PM

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Old 02-28-2012, 04:27 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Default Game Impressions

I tried this earlier as I do with most Match-3s that look half decent. Just the single mode, very bare bones. Nothing here that sets it apart in any way approaching significant. Not as pretty or polished as it thinks it is. Worst of all, Facebook is the only form of leaderboards, and worse still, the game is one of those that try to push you to spam your friends and get them playing too by giving you a higher score bonus the more of them play.

All in all, a bog standard match-3, bogged down more by its developers' attempts to bolt on a revenue generating scheme on top. (Why else force you to use Facebook if you want online boards?) Could stand it for about all of ten minutes or so.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Developer
iPad, OS 4.x

Yeah, thanks for that Gabrien. Isn't the net lovely for that kind of anonymous bile.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:44 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
I tried this earlier as I do with most Match-3s that look half decent. Just the single mode, very bare bones. Nothing here that sets it apart in any way approaching significant. Not as pretty or polished as it thinks it is. Worst of all, Facebook is the only form of leaderboards, and worse still, the game is one of those that try to push you to spam your friends and get them playing too by giving you a higher score bonus the more of them play.

All in all, a bog standard match-3, bogged down more by its developers' attempts to bolt on a revenue generating scheme on top. (Why else force you to use Facebook if you want online boards?) Could stand it for about all of ten minutes or so.
I'm not entirely going to defend Facebook only but it does make sense, if like Pinball Arcade, the developer is looking to have multi-platform leaderboards.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Developer
iPad, OS 4.x

There's a few of reasons why we went with facebook.

1) As Lord Gek correctly surmised, this is a cross platform game. It's on iOS and Android right now, Blackberry soon and probably facebook itself later in the year.

2) There are a lot of people out there who enjoy using FB to play games with or against each other and a high proportion of those probably wont have a GC account or even know what a gamecenter is, but they do know what the big blue "f" does for them.

3) This one will really melt Gabrien's mind. By appealing to the people in 2) above, we might be able to encourage some virality and get some much needed visbility (= sales). Said sales will allow our small team to continue making games whilst raising our families. What, I'm meant to feel guilty about that? lol

And whilst I'm on a roll, you'll see in the upsell text that we make no bones about any lack of quest modes and other noise. There's a stack of games like that but they're not ones I like to play, and if a week of Android downloads are anything to go by, I'm not the only one. One mans "thin" is another man's "focussed".

EDIT: With hindsight we'll probably add GC leaderboards with a future update. Despite having other games that use them, we honestly never gave it a thought with all the time we invested making our own.

Last edited by Rubicon; 02-28-2012 at 05:23 PM..
Old 02-28-2012, 05:17 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
Yeah, thanks for that Gabrien. Isn't the net lovely for that kind of anonymous bile.
Hey, that was polite for Gabrien - I think he likes you He's consistent though and he calls 'em like he sees 'em I guess - he's just not the most eloquent.

Since this thread started off bad for you guys, I'll just say that Great Little War Game is an awesome, top quality game. I wouldn't expect low quality from this title either.

I haven't tried this one yet. I'm not crazy about relying heavily on Facebook to play my games either...or at all actually. I won't hold it against ya though! I'm not a high score freak anyways so I doubt it will matter to me.

If this matters to anyone, Rubicon are known for updating their games and staying on top of bugs, as well as listening to the gamers. I helped them beta test a game so I'm a little biased, but if I didn't mean it I wouldn't say it. They're also cool people and I won't feel bad giving them my dollar.

Last edited by schplurg; 02-28-2012 at 05:20 PM..
Old 02-28-2012, 05:29 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

I haven't started playing yet but I'm having an issue in the Options menu. It's very hard to scroll without moving one of the volume sliders every time I touch the screen. Even if I touch the extreme right or left of the screen it either maximizes or mutes the volume. Even if I'm already swiping up to scroll and I touch the screen this happens. Driving me nuts!

I also don't like all the other clutter in the options menu. before I get to the volumes I need to scroll past "Visit our forum", "get our newsletter", "please rate us" plus Facebook sign-in. These need their own section. This does come across as a bit pushy to me.

I like the option to disable FB autoposting.

The scrolling is a nightmare though and needs to be addressed.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:31 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Ok, seriously: I'm being afforded way too much importance in this thread at the moment and I've no idea why. I know a lot of people here think I often post for attention: if that were the case I guess you would have just made my day.

Please stop it. I posted a concise and honest impression of my experience with this game. That's all. Supposedly there's a free version out soon so everyone can make up their own minds anyway.

It baffles me why or how "Gabrien" should become the focus of discussion instead of the game.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:33 PM
Developer
iPad, OS 4.x

Hi schplurg, long time no see. Thanks for the encouraging words above.

We've already fixed the scrolling thing but have been waiting for Apple to clear this version before we can patch it. Whilst I'm at it, I will move all that fluff to the bottom, you're probably right.

Last edited by Rubicon; 02-28-2012 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: cant beat the post count