★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What's to stop you keep changing the release date?

05-13-2009, 06:46 AM
What's to stop you keep changing the release date?

I have been told to change the release date of my app, and updates of my app, the moment they are approved to the date of approval. That's all well and good (although I think it's something that should be done automatically by Apple, especially when they didn't even email me to say my app had been approved). But I notice that the release date is always there as an option to change in your app details.
So what's to stop the developer changing this date to keep the game at the top of the sort-by-release-date lists? Do Apple keep a check?
It's not something I would consider doing, btw- just wondering.
05-13-2009, 07:49 AM
It's kind of hard to explain... the release date on the app store always shows as the actual approval date, assuming you changed your availability date in iTunes Connect. Otherwise it shows as the date the app was submitted.

If you set your release date to a date after the approval (assuming not a future date also), the release date in the app store will still show as the date of approval.

In short, it just doesn't work how you think it does

Didev Studios || Twitter || YouTube || Facebook
Releases
GeoSnake || Bugz || Review Scraper (Open Source)

05-13-2009, 07:50 AM
How do you know what date to put into iTunes Connect if you don't know the date it will be approved?
05-13-2009, 07:52 AM
You change the availability date AFTER it's been approved.

Didev Studios || Twitter || YouTube || Facebook
Releases
GeoSnake || Bugz || Review Scraper (Open Source)
05-13-2009, 07:53 AM
Simply place a date that's a few weeks ahead. Then when you're approved, change the date to the approval date and it should update it once it's filtered through.
Whether setting the initial date makes Apple review it by a scheduled date is another matter...
05-13-2009, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the response. I really wish Apple would sort this out. Why can't they just automatically set the release date to the date of approval? We shouldn't have to manually edit it ourselves, especially when there is no prior warning of approval as in my case. And as a new developer, I didn't know I could change the date of my app, hence it starting several pages down the release date list, which I am sure affected sales.
05-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
Simply place a date that's a few weeks ahead. Then when you're approved, change the date to the approval date and it should update it once it's filtered through.
Whether setting the initial date makes Apple review it by a scheduled date is another matter...
A little warning, do NOT do this for updates. You app will disappear from the store. When you're first submitting an app, make it whatever you'd like, as it doesn't matter. But for updates, leave the date alone until you get the ready for sale email.
05-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe View Post
I really wish Apple would sort this out. Why can't they just automatically set the release date to the date of approval? We shouldn't have to manually edit it ourselves, especially when there is no prior warning of approval as in my case.
Apple did have it automatically set the release date for updates. They changed it sometime in late 2008; I think there was the feeling that developers were abusing this by releasing trivial updates just to get on the new releases list again.

Of course, the situation now is the same as it was before the change, with the exception that you have to know how to do it manually.

--Eric

Realmaze3D on the App Store
Realmaze3Free: 3 free mazes (a taste of Realmaze3D)
05-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Oh... and good luck trying to find any of this documented in their iTunes Connect docs. Was very disappointed in the amount of info provided, and I don't believe I'm the only one in that regard.
05-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadweight View Post
Oh... and good luck trying to find any of this documented in their iTunes Connect docs. Was very disappointed in the amount of info provided, and I don't believe I'm the only one in that regard.
It's just lucky we are part of a great community, where help is always at hand