Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-01-2012, 09:38 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 4.x

I've been playing this game all day, it really keeps me entertained and some minutes ago i noticed that some of the music in the game was made with morphwiz and bebot, am i right about this? Just wondering!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:02 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tiger View Post
Wow, Quazonk, we haven't heard of anybody running into that particular problem of opening the map accidentally all the time. Are you lefty by any chance? Is this on iPhone or iPad? I can give you one quick tip that might help -- if you are getting the training dialog inside the world map that you have to dismiss before you can exit... just travel somewhere using the map and then travel back to where you were. Once you travel, it will stop trying to teach you how to use the map and you can exit the map immediately after opening it.

Sorry that you've run into some problems, but glad you're enjoying the game overall.

Cheers!
David
Hey David, thanks for making such a great game. First of all, yes, I am a lefty, but I don't think that has anything to do with my accidental-map-opening issue. Since the dawn of...well..the NES, the left thumb has been used to locate a d-pad at about the same spot of a gamepad that the map appears on the iphone. Since walking to your left without using the jetpack requires you to touch the left side of the screen, but not too high, this is pretty much the sweet-spot for walking left. Surely I can't be the only one to experience this?? Anyways, a simple remedy would be to have movable button mapping in the options. I will hope for this in an update, but if I do not get it, I will just have to try to train my brain to not touch that part of the screen to walk left, since I'd rather play through this frustrating little tidbit than to not play at all. The game really is that good imo.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:38 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tiger View Post
If you're curious about why the protagonist is Chinese, this article on Wired-UK is a pretty great read on that topic and on the science behind the game:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...nd-waking-mars
Thanks, David. This is an explanation I needed.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:20 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

I've been lost in this game for awhile-in a good, holy god an hour and a half has passed way. Everything is top notch and I'm glad to see that the devs are getting such great reviews. I saw a couple of people here mention this as an experience rather than a game and that initially steered me away. Now I understand the sentiment. That being said the actual game mechanics are also great and the overall feel is truly immersive. I initially agreed with people's impressions about the portraits-especially Amani's-being a bit Facebook like. That was based off screen shots and video on my part though. Now that I'm actually playing it, I feel the reverse. They actually give a humanizing feel to the game and I'm glad te devs went with this.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:07 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Send a message via Skype™ to your personal robot

I'm also absolutely PRO these faces. Love them. They have character. I cannot imagine having an update where they have been altered, erased whatsoever.

I'm quite shocked that it's such a huge point of discussion in here.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:18 AM

Gotta say, the game is awesome. Played through it in two sits, and that doesn't happen a lot (and I play on the pc and the ps3 pretty regularly).

Amazing, amazing game. Off to buy the ost from bandcamp.

Oh, and the faces are fine for me.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotwars View Post
Wow. Are you like 3 or something? Why would anyone be offended at the fact that he looks like Gilbert Godfried. It's funny. Lighten up.
It's because modern Western society genuflects before the altar of political correctness. Anything that even remotely makes an allusion on the physique of "other" races, must be reprimanded.

Personally, now I'll look at the character and think of the "AFLAC" duck.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:31 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Had a quick go last night and suddenly an hour or two flew by ! The graphics are superb. I was quick to moan about the controls but they work very well indeed.

Getting further and further into the game, really love it. Reason 342342 (even more reasons !) why iOS gaming is so great, brilliant week of releases, huge variety of games. Going to leave a review for this now (suggest others do the same if you love it)

As for the people, the astronaut graphic is great, but the girl just looks like some standard photo clipart from the web. Only a small niggle though, the game overall is brilliant

Last edited by psj3809; 03-02-2012 at 05:10 AM..
Old 03-02-2012, 04:37 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post
yes, yes, yes. I love you guys and I bought this the second it released, but I can honestly say that if I'd seen the "screenshots" of the people, I might have hesitated.

They both just take SO much away from the depth of this game. It's like making Samus talk, it's just wrong.

I doubt you guys will change it, remove it, or even just do pixal pictures, static, of them.. but please, consider it. Every time they pop up I cringe. There's just something so terribly off about it, and this was easily my most anticipated game since S&S.

Again, I know it sounds petty and in a lot of ways it is, but I can't be alone here

*Edit - it also doesn't help that the guy reminds me of a person I know, and terribly dislike, in real life... but even the girl, sigh.. just too much, overacting, just. It's hard to explain.
[QUOTE=Gabrien;2161619]They (especially the girl) just look like a bunch of people clowning around. Certainly they do not get in the way of the gameplay, but they're a significant detriment to the immersion factor. For me at least, possibly less so for others.

Gotta say I was interested before I saw them on the video... to me they seem totally out of keeping with the rest of the game...
Old 03-02-2012, 04:55 AM
iPhone 5, OS 4.x

To David Tiger

Thanks for making such a sweet game. I picked it up this week, sat down and started playing and immersed myself on an adventure in mars. I love the research log and finding out everything about a species by experimenting. I like the graphics style and the foreground. I don't mind the real pictures Amani is nice to look at. Great job on everything. I was wondering can I get the soundtrack anywhere?