App description: Apple's 2012 iPad Game of the Year Runner-Up!
Bring A Sleeping Planet Back To Life
See the trailer at www.WakingMars.com

-----------------------------------------

** FOR EXCITING NEWS, FOLLOW US AT
http://www.facebook.com/TigerStyleGames
http://twitter.com/tigerstylegames

** VISIT US AT
http://www.tigerstylegames.com

-----------------------------------------

Praise for Waking Mars:

"One of the most satisfying gaming experiences I've had on this platform."
- TouchArcade, 5/5

25 Best iPad games - Time.com

The most interesting story I've seen in an iPhone game
- Joystiq

"Superb controls; unique gameplay"
- Slide To Play, 4/4 "Must have"

"Thousands of video games ask you to take life, but very few ask you to create it."
- Paste Magazine, 9.1/10

Nominated - Best Mobile Game and Excellence in Audio, 2012 IGF

---------------------------------------

Epic adventure, action gameplay, and unlimited discovery
From the makers of Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor
TouchArcade Game of the Year and IGF iPhone Game of the Year, 2009

In 2097, life is discovered on Mars. When your mission of first contact becomes trapped by a cave-in, you must master the alien ecosystem to survive. With time running out, you will make a decision that determines the fate of a lost planet.

UNCOVER THE MYSTERIES OF ANCIENT MARS

- Explore an open-ended network of exotic caverns.
- Decode mysterious signals and discover long lost ruins.
- Survive an unearthly world of strange creatures and hazardous terrain.

CULTIVATE YOUR OWN ECOSYSTEM OF ALIEN LIFEFORMS

- Grow a vibrant, interconnected ecosystem of exotic plants and alien creatures.
- Learn the diet, habits, and vulnerabilities of each new lifeform you encounter.
- Cultivate one species to feed another, eliminate unwanted infestations, and research unique behaviors.

DESIGNED EXCLUSIVELY FOR iOS

- Intuitive touch screen controls
- Nearly two hours of critically acclaimed original music.
- Game Center Achievements and Leaderboards.
- Tweet Research Progress to your friends back on Earth!
- UNIVERSAL APP - play on your iPad, iPhone 3GS or higher, or iPod Touch 3rd Generation or higher.

ABOUT US

Tiger Style is the award-winning studio behind Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor. We are a fully independent collective of designers, artists, and musicians dedicated to bringing original, high quality games to iOS.

Echoseven's comments:

02-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Muzzbuy!

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
02-29-2012, 09:22 AM
Looks good. I hate to spend $5 bucks though...

How I got my Free iPad 2

02-29-2012, 09:28 AM
I was a bit leery of this game but once I saw the makers of one of my favorite iOS titles made this, instabuy.

Follow me on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram @ithinkimalion
02-29-2012, 09:33 AM
I've watched the trailers and stuff, but I still just don't get this game. Is it just an endless platforming/growing experience? Or is there some overall goal or storyline?
And what do you do, just fly around planting seeds?

Playing: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle
Waiting:Last Class Heroes, Chaos Rings 3, Starships
GameCenter: StriveMind
02-29-2012, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strivemind View Post
I've watched the trailers and stuff, but I still just don't get this game. Is it just an endless platforming/growing experience? Or is there some overall goal or storyline?
And what do you do, just fly around planting seeds?
When you play, you explore an open-ended world, discover new environments and lifeforms, and learn their behaviors -- how they reproduce, what they eat, are they dangerous -- and use those behaviors to your advantage in bringing the ecosystem back to life.

Your core mechanics are jetpack flight and throwing inventory items (usually seeds, but there are a few variants with different behaviors later in the game).

Sometimes, passage will be blocked due to the presence of an alien lifeform called the Cerebrane, which is retracted once the biomass in a chamber reaches a certain level. In order to level up the biomass, you must come to an understanding of the Martian ecology. This doesn't always involve planting. There are lifeforms that reproduce only when fed, and you have to feed them other types of lifeforms. There are ways to acquire compost to create enriched terrain to boost the value and behavioral activity of certain lifeforms. So... on the mid-level, you are strategizing or puzzling your way through obstacles based on the environmental conditions.

There is also a survival aspect, as there are acid drips and creatures that will bite at you and pools of magma that you need to be wary of. We have 3 difficulty modes in case you find the survival parameters too taxing or too easy for your tastes.

As for story, we have a cast of 4 characters -- you play as Dr. Liang Qi, your handler at Base Camp is Dr. Amani Ronga, and your suit computer ART is along for the ride. Meanwhile, one of your multiple mission objectives is to find the lost robot 0CT0, who was trapped in these same caves on an earlier mission. A lot of the fiction is delivered through conversations, but there is also a lot of background storytelling, as there was in Spider. As you get really deep into the Martian caves, you find hints of a lost civilization, strange alien signals, structures that could not have been naturally occuring. And a lot of the story unfolds out of these discoveries.

Also, there are 2 (and a half) endings. Total game time is at least 6 hours for a minimum playthrough, and new playtesters who have gone all the way through to the special ending have sometimes logged 10-12 hours.

Hope you'll buy it and check it out
02-29-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm so excited for this. Reminds me of aquaria but on the iPhone, definitely worth $5.
02-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Its still very early doors I know, but after about half an hour of playtime so far, I've gotta say that I'm loving every minute of it!

It's kinda hard to put my finger on it, but Waking Mars just feels special. It's utterly fabulous.

At $4.99/2.99 it feels like pretty good value too. My advise is don't hesitate, just jump in!

Hall of Fame:
1. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP 2. Machinarium 3. Limbo 4. World of Goo 5. Ridiculous Fishing: A Tale of Redemption 6. Home 7. Rayman Jungle Run 8. Space Miner: Space Ore Bust 9. Rage HD 10. 1-Bit Ninja
02-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Wow! This looks bizarre! Hoo-Hoo! Must get it! Time to delete some stuff again....
02-29-2012, 06:28 PM
iCloud? Please?