Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-29-2012, 09:01 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Muzzbuy!
Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 AM

Looks good. I hate to spend $5 bucks though...
Old 02-29-2012, 09:28 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

I was a bit leery of this game but once I saw the makers of one of my favorite iOS titles made this, instabuy.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:33 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

I've watched the trailers and stuff, but I still just don't get this game. Is it just an endless platforming/growing experience? Or is there some overall goal or storyline?
And what do you do, just fly around planting seeds?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:49 AM

Our first review is in - 8/10 from EDGE

http://www.edge-online.com/reviews/waking-mars-review
Old 02-29-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strivemind View Post
I've watched the trailers and stuff, but I still just don't get this game. Is it just an endless platforming/growing experience? Or is there some overall goal or storyline?
And what do you do, just fly around planting seeds?
When you play, you explore an open-ended world, discover new environments and lifeforms, and learn their behaviors -- how they reproduce, what they eat, are they dangerous -- and use those behaviors to your advantage in bringing the ecosystem back to life.

Your core mechanics are jetpack flight and throwing inventory items (usually seeds, but there are a few variants with different behaviors later in the game).

Sometimes, passage will be blocked due to the presence of an alien lifeform called the Cerebrane, which is retracted once the biomass in a chamber reaches a certain level. In order to level up the biomass, you must come to an understanding of the Martian ecology. This doesn't always involve planting. There are lifeforms that reproduce only when fed, and you have to feed them other types of lifeforms. There are ways to acquire compost to create enriched terrain to boost the value and behavioral activity of certain lifeforms. So... on the mid-level, you are strategizing or puzzling your way through obstacles based on the environmental conditions.

There is also a survival aspect, as there are acid drips and creatures that will bite at you and pools of magma that you need to be wary of. We have 3 difficulty modes in case you find the survival parameters too taxing or too easy for your tastes.

As for story, we have a cast of 4 characters -- you play as Dr. Liang Qi, your handler at Base Camp is Dr. Amani Ronga, and your suit computer ART is along for the ride. Meanwhile, one of your multiple mission objectives is to find the lost robot 0CT0, who was trapped in these same caves on an earlier mission. A lot of the fiction is delivered through conversations, but there is also a lot of background storytelling, as there was in Spider. As you get really deep into the Martian caves, you find hints of a lost civilization, strange alien signals, structures that could not have been naturally occuring. And a lot of the story unfolds out of these discoveries.

Also, there are 2 (and a half) endings. Total game time is at least 6 hours for a minimum playthrough, and new playtesters who have gone all the way through to the special ending have sometimes logged 10-12 hours.

Hope you'll buy it and check it out
Old 02-29-2012, 11:34 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

I'm so excited for this. Reminds me of aquaria but on the iPhone, definitely worth $5.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:28 PM
iPad mini

Its still very early doors I know, but after about half an hour of playtime so far, I've gotta say that I'm loving every minute of it!

It's kinda hard to put my finger on it, but Waking Mars just feels special. It's utterly fabulous.

At $4.99/2.99 it feels like pretty good value too. My advise is don't hesitate, just jump in!
Old 02-29-2012, 05:54 PM
iPad (4th Gen)

Wow! This looks bizarre! Hoo-Hoo! Must get it! Time to delete some stuff again....
Old 02-29-2012, 06:28 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

iCloud? Please?