★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

"LetterMeister" puzzle game FREE for a promotional period

02-29-2012, 10:14 AM
"LetterMeister" puzzle game FREE for a promotional period

Dear all,

I am offering my new game LetterMeister free for a promotional period in the hope in particular of getting some feedback/ratings on the App Store.

Please try the game, and if you enjoy it, please consider leaving a rating! If you have constructive criticism, please also let me know as I would welcome suggestions for the next update! Many thanks,

Neil

Last edited by LordGek; 03-06-2012 at 10:57 AM.
02-29-2012, 11:45 AM
I gave it 4 stars because it is a really good word game but it doesn't save the level that I got to so maybe level saving could be a new feature. Other than that, really good!

02-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Rafnel --

If you break off a level mid-way through, it won't save where you got to. (Though if you come out of the game and go back in, it should go back to where you were, just as with other iOS apps.)

However, when you *complete* a level, that should be remembered, so that the next time you start a game, you have the option of starting at the last level that you completed.

N
02-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Oh, I see what I did wrong, nevermind then, I'll change my review.
02-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Just downloaded and played a few levels. Will leave a favorable review. Thank you for the opportunity to try your game.

Gameplay was smooth and easy to understand, though I wish the letter-swapping animations were faster. I like the game concept, it's pretty original, and I play a lot of word games.

What I didn't like:
The muddy background.
I think the letter tiles need to be brighter.
The splashes of color indicating incorrectly placed letters could be better, perhaps an outline on the tile. Anyone who has a red-green color deficiency in their vision won't be able to see the pale red splash of color. Many men are red-green deficient to some extent...optics is what I do for a living and I see this a lot.

Hope this helps.

Currently playing: Oceanhorn| Junk Jack X | the Blockheads | Final Fantasy V | Pixel People | The Room | Pocket Frogs | Triple Town | 9th Dawn | Paint it Back
Plus+ ID: glumbumble
Game Center ID: Aithne1116
02-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Hi -- many thanks for this excellent feedback. The issue of red-green perception has actually been mentioned to me by a couple of other people, and so for the first update I'm actually working on a second colour scheme (the player will be able to select which they prefer). I don't know what you think of the following, which is my plan so far for the new scheme:

Re the speed of the animations -- in the first couple of levels, they're designed to be quite slow to "start the player off" on a gentle pace. However, by level 5 they should be fairly snappy (a swap takes 2/3 second from level 5 onwards, compared to 1.5 seconds in level 1). I don't know if you've played up to Level 5 yet -- I'd be interested to know if even by then, you still think the swaps are too slow?

As I say, many thanks for this feedback which is definitely very helpful and I hope you enjoy the game!

Neil
03-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by javamex View Post
Hi -- many thanks for this excellent feedback. The issue of red-green perception has actually been mentioned to me by a couple of other people, and so for the first update I'm actually working on a second colour scheme (the player will be able to select which they prefer). I don't know what you think of the following, which is my plan so far for the new scheme:

Re the speed of the animations -- in the first couple of levels, they're designed to be quite slow to "start the player off" on a gentle pace. However, by level 5 they should be fairly snappy (a swap takes 2/3 second from level 5 onwards, compared to 1.5 seconds in level 1). I don't know if you've played up to Level 5 yet -- I'd be interested to know if even by then, you still think the swaps are too slow?

As I say, many thanks for this feedback which is definitely very helpful and I hope you enjoy the game!

Neil
Hey Neill,
Thanks for the reply. Checked the speed re: levels, it does get much better.
On the color issue, I still see mostly reds and greens with touches of yellow. Don't think this will solve the issue above. You might consider blue as a secondary choice or make the second option an outline on the tile, which would solve the problem for those with all levels of color blindness. It doesn't have to be anything that deviates sharply from your design esthetic, perhaps some mild black cross-hatching on the borders of the misplaced tiles.
I still think the background of the tiles needs to be brighter, as the whole presentation is a bit muddy and dark. Is it possible to give the user options for the background? The one you have currently is very unnattractive and doesn't seem to work with the rest of the design's palette.
Graphically, I find the look confusing. Are you going for grunge? Retro?

Currently playing: Oceanhorn| Junk Jack X | the Blockheads | Final Fantasy V | Pixel People | The Room | Pocket Frogs | Triple Town | 9th Dawn | Paint it Back
Plus+ ID: glumbumble
Game Center ID: Aithne1116
03-01-2012, 10:15 AM
The app store is showing this for $1.99, so I guess the promotion is over.

I am interested in your app and I would like to know if you plan an HD/iPad version?

Game Center: MarinasideSteve
03-01-2012, 01:08 PM
Promotion still on

Hi -- just to let you know, the promotion is still on. If it wasn't showing up as free in the app store, please check again as it now should be. Please do download and rate/review!

Re HD version -- yes, I'm definitely *considering* this, but it's probably a couple of months away as I want to get some other developments finished first. Of course, if I get a lot of people shouting for the HD version, then I may revise my priorities

Anyway, hope you enjoy the game!

Neil
03-02-2012, 10:27 AM
First update in review

Just to mention -- an update to the app with a 'brighter colours' option similar to the above is currently in review. In the 'standard' colour scheme, I've also brightened the tile backgrounds a little and increased the saturation of the red/yellow. A few other commentators who previously had trouble said that they found the 'brighter' option much better. (I confess I personally don't like it as much, but pragmatically it appears that it does help some users, and e.g. one user from Mexico said they preferred the scheme -- there may be some cultural aesthetics at play here!)

However, I've just seen Tuilelath's comments and it's sounding like to please everybody, I will need to include some kind of shape indication as well as the colours. So I'll have a further think/experiment with this...!

Many thanks for all comments so far. If anybody else would like to try the game, the app is STILL FREE for at least the next day or two. If you do try the game, please, please consider leaving a review and rating on the App Store!

Neil