★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Puzzle games, a fine line between challenging and plain too hard :)

11-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Puzzle games, a fine line between challenging and plain too hard :)

Does anyone else play a lot of puzzle games? I am curious to get your opinions on games which you find just right and games which you find too hard. I don't like the game to be insanely easy. I want to think a little. But some of them I just find too hard, and I don't want to get burned again on a game which is unplayable after the first few levels. Here are some games I found too hard:

Hiqup: I only got through the tutorial levels and the first few regular ones
Dizzy Bee: Same thing, after about 5 levels, I was not able to go further.
Enigmo: Much too hard. I only got through about 3 levels
Enso Dot: Again, after about level 4 it got too frustrating
Hexterity: Impossible to predict how pieces would fit. Very frustrating.
Pakoon: Made it to level 6
Spin: Big regret about this one, fell for the buzz. Controls are difficult
Sumcession: Might have worked for me, with smaller numbers

And some games that are 'just right' for me:

Everest Hidden Expedition
Imangi (and most word games)
Mouse About (wound up deleting though because it took ages to load)
Pipes (love this one!)
Smiles
Spin Dice
Squares
Subway Shuffle
Marple
Tanzen
Kugon (love this one!)
Trace
Smiles
Numba (wound up deleting though because it drains battery fast)

So what are your recs for puzzle games that are too hard versus just right? Am I missing out on any great ones?

Last edited by ficbot; 11-16-2008 at 12:55 PM.
11-16-2008, 12:48 PM
Send a message via AIM to eeenmachine
Have you tried Hanoi? Seems to vary from person to person whether its too hard or not.

11-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Topple has a bit of a difficulty curve problem. Stages 1-7 range from very easy to fairly easy. Then stage 8 hits you like a p!ssed off koala bear!

One puzzle game I love is CubicMan Deluxe, conveniently reviewed today on my blog in a comparison review with Action Blox (link in my signature).

You mention Trace- this, as far as I am concerned, is the perfect mix of platforming and puzzle. It's just a shame it ends so soon.
11-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Well, it's different for every player, I finished all of Pakoon. (There is a thread if u need help on that somewhere) Trace was not that challenging, its more of a timing jumps game (which makes it fun)
11-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Have not tried Hanoi. As for Topple, I got to level 7 then stopped, now I just goof around in free play mode when I want to.

Thanks for the tip about Cubicman, it is on sale for 0.99 so I may buy it
11-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Send a message via ICQ to brewstermax Send a message via AIM to brewstermax Send a message via MSN to brewstermax Send a message via Yahoo to brewstermax
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Does anyone else play a lot of puzzle games? I am curious to get your opinions on games which you find just right and games which you find too hard. I don't like the game to be insanely easy. I want to think a little. But some of them I just find too hard, and I don't want to get burned again on a game which is unplayable after the first few levels. Here are some games I found too hard:

Hiqup: I only got through the tutorial levels and the first few regular ones
Dizzy Bee: Same thing, after about 5 levels, I was not able to go further.
Enigmo: Much too hard. I only got through about 3 levels
Enso Dot: Again, after about level 4 it got too frustrating
Hexterity: Impossible to predict how pieces would fit. Very frustrating.
Pakoon: Made it to level 6
Spin: Big regret about this one, fell for the buzz. Controls are difficult
Sumcession: Might have worked for me, with smaller numbers

And some games that are 'just right' for me:

Everest Hidden Expedition
Imangi (and most word games)
Mouse About (wound up deleting though because it took ages to load)
Pipes (love this one!)
Smiles
Spin Dice
Squares
Subway Shuffle
Marple
Tanzen
Kugon (love this one!)
Trace
Smiles
Numba (wound up deleting though because it drains battery fast)

So what are your recs for puzzle games that are too hard versus just right? Am I missing out on any great ones?

OMG. Enigmo, really. I find Enigmo, absolutely perfect for the balance between the two, but I have played the desktop version, so that might be it. Level 60 on Trace is way too hard, and I've yet to beat it, and I beat all the other levels, so I just deleted that one. AquaForest by Hudson is really good, and have a nice blend, except for Hot Ball/ Cold Ball, which is just too hard, either that or I'm missing something. You might want to revisit Enigmo though.
11-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Pathways is a great game! not too challenging but challenging enough for pure enjoyment! like someone said earlier Subway Shuffle is awesome too!
11-16-2008, 05:07 PM
I'm personally also finding Enigmo to be a good balance of difficulty, although I'm still in the 20's on it. I beat Pakoon 3 and loved that game. Some of the levels did take a bit of figuring out to get, but I thats part of why I liked it a lot. And as for Pathways, its very interesting cause I've heard of some people that have a very hard time on it, even on the earlier stages before the 20's and some people don't run into real trouble until after 20's. I did find the whole game challenging but not too challenging. It seems to be that its different for every person and one type of puzzle game can be challenging for one person could be easy for another. Personally, I enjoy having to struggle for a while on puzzles, it makes it that much more rewarding when you finally do figure it out
11-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe View Post
Topple has a bit of a difficulty curve problem. Stages 1-7 range from very easy to fairly easy. Then stage 8 hits you like a p!ssed off koala bear!
Agreed,
at first i thought that it was easy and then level 8 no chance

"Insert generic signature here"
11-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Still stuck on level 9 with Topple. I have been in reach of the line but could never pass it.
As for Enigmo I don't have the iPhone version but the desktop one isn't too bad at all. I rarely get the bonus but I have made it through well over 40 levels. I would assume they are the same on the iPhone.