★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Virtual currency - isnt it against what Apple says?

03-03-2012, 02:29 AM
#1
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 77
Virtual currency - isnt it against what Apple says?

I've been wondering ever since I read this quote at the Apple developers site:
Quote:
You may not offer items that represent intermediary currency because it is important that users know the specific good or service they are buying.
If that's the case, how come there are so many applications doing this? Am I missing something?

Firewall, my rule-changing turn-based strategy game, is out, get it now!

Last edited by aviadbd; 03-03-2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Solved
03-03-2012, 08:22 AM
#2
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
I've been wondering the same thing about that. Perhaps it's outdated?

03-03-2012, 08:27 AM
#3
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mer10 View Post
I've been wondering the same thing about that. Perhaps it's outdated?
I don't think know... It's been there from day one, and Apple are usually keen on these things...

Firewall, my rule-changing turn-based strategy game, is out, get it now!
03-03-2012, 09:56 AM
#4
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 1,674
03-03-2012, 10:05 AM
#5
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 77
Quote:
Ok. So I guess it is outdated. The link you gave says something different :-/

So that would mean that I could sell virtual currencies, but if I let the user consume those currencies elsewhere (for example, a web site managing his inventory) it would be against the guidelines. Right? Did you ever see such an app?

Thanks!

Firewall, my rule-changing turn-based strategy game, is out, get it now!

Last edited by aviadbd; 03-03-2012 at 10:12 AM.
03-03-2012, 10:20 AM
#6
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviadbd View Post
So that would mean that I could sell virtual currencies, but if I let the user consume those currencies elsewhere (for example, a web site managing his inventory) it would be against the guidelines. Right?
That's also how I understand it. Purchasing stuff with a virtual currency outside the app would be a tax nightmare for everyone involved.

I make games.
Twitter: NicolasG_B
03-03-2012, 10:33 AM
#7
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasgb View Post
That's also how I understand it. Purchasing stuff with a virtual currency outside the app would be a tax nightmare for everyone involved.
OK. So let's make this a bit complicated.. Suppose I want to make an app that allowed IAP virtual currencies. (a) Would this be alright?, (b) could players trade the virtual currency between each other (for game items?), (c) if there was an Android app, and (b) was "yes", could players trade between each other and between devices?

Firewall, my rule-changing turn-based strategy game, is out, get it now!
03-03-2012, 10:50 AM
#8
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 146
(a) is ok.
(b) I don't know, but I'd stay away from it anyway. Managing inflation can get very difficult when a f2p game has a complex virtual economy, as you start introducing discounts, free cash, bundles, etc. Throw in players setting their own prices into the mix and I imagine it'd become nearly impossible.
(c) Don't know either, wild guess says you probably can't.

Interesting topic though!

I make games.
Twitter: NicolasG_B
03-03-2012, 10:55 AM
#9
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasgb View Post
(b) I don't know, but I'd stay away from it anyway. Managing inflation can get very difficult when a f2p game has a complex virtual economy, as you start introducing discounts, free cash, bundles, etc. Throw in players setting their own prices into the mix and I imagine it'd become nearly impossible.
I remember reading an article discussing inflation in virtual mega currencies like Eve, WoW or Second Life and it's effects on real life currencies, since some people make a living on those platforms (esp. Second Life, at least back then).

But anyway, back to topic: why should I care about user-induced inflation? The items are still going to be sold through the "proper" shop too.

Quote:
Interesting topic though!
I try my best

Firewall, my rule-changing turn-based strategy game, is out, get it now!
03-03-2012, 11:36 AM
#10
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviadbd View Post
But anyway, back to topic: why should I care about user-induced inflation? The items are still going to be sold through the "proper" shop too.
If you users cannot set the price themselves, then I suppose it's okay.

I make games.
Twitter: NicolasG_B