★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: I spent more than two years to create this game which enables players to drive a train following signals and based on precise physics culculation while other trains run simultaneously according to timetables.
There are 37 sets of Tobu trains and 7 of others running on lines of some 40 kilomters.

You are to drive precisely and safe.
The ATS game--
replicates actual operations of switch rails, signals and crossing gates.
reproduces passing loop on a single line, train overtaking, and stop signals before arriving at terminals.
uses transition curves on railroads to offer very gradual curve.
gives you general idea of how signals and safety equipment work.
lets players know why it takes extra time during rush hour.

This is a work of fiction. Train lines and stations are used fictiously. Any resemblance to actual locales is entirely coincidental.

Howard's comments:
I read about this a few days ago and it looks interesting and expensive. $8.99.
Just wondering if anyone has seen or tried this?

03-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Much too expensive - I'll wait for a price drop.

Here's a video from youtube:

03-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
I read about this a few days ago and it looks interesting and expensive. $8.99.
Just wondering if anyone has seen or tried this?
Well, thanks for letting me know of its existence. I've just bought it. I'll post impressions when I play it. I'm a big fan of train sims such as Densha De Go! And similars. Search for Dengo Yamanote Line for the iPhone (Japanese only), that one's very cool too. This one looks less arcade and more sim from the video (for example, you can reverse when you go past the station, something which Dengo doesn't allow). Anyway, as I said, I'll post impressions when I play it.
03-03-2012, 07:27 PM

Japan sure is blurry and pixellated. Who'd have thunk it.
03-03-2012, 08:05 PM
Made my first run, and I must say: I love the game, but it's not for everyone. It's a train sim purely "Japanese style". The game gives/takes points according to your accuracy at stopping in each station, smoothness of the stop, being on time, etc. Graphics are extremely smooth, but not too good. Retina graphics, but low res textures & very basic graphics. The positive aspect is that the download is only 11MB, so it doesn't take too much space in the phone. Sound is quite good IMHO, but there's no in-game music.

Where the game exceeds is in the sim aspect itself. If you go past the station, you have to stop the train, put it in reverse mode and go back to the station. It's not "game over", you just get "-" points. You just need 1 point to go to the next level, but I ended my first run with -70 points, so go imagine...

I wouldn't expect much better graphics in the updates, because the point of the game is not that. If you are looking for a good train sim which has all the "Japanese style" in it, grab it. If you want graphics & quick action, go buy Infinity Blade 2 instead. Btw, the video in the first post gives you a great impression of what to expect here. A great addition is to be able to move the camera and look at the sides (at the end o the video), something which you can't do in Dengo Yamanote Line.

EDIT: Got 232 points after my second run, and I keep what I said: a truly great Japanese train sim. If you like Densha, you know that graphics aren't the main point of these games and that what shines on these games is the way the reflect driving a train. This one does it great.

Last edited by VirtualBoyFreak; 03-04-2012 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Played more
03-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Thanks a lot for the great review. Now I am seriously considering getting it. One more question. How are the controls?
03-04-2012, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
Thanks a lot for the great review. Now I am seriously considering getting it. One more question. How are the controls?
Controls are very simple to use: a slider on the left or right side of the screen (depending on which way you put your iphone). It controls, from up to down, the EB (emergency brake), the B7 to B1 (brake intensity), the N position (neutral) and the P1 to P4 (power). There is also a small slider beside the big one with the letters F, N, B. This is for the direction you want to move the train (forward, neutral, backwards).

To move the camera around, you use you finger as in any free roaming 3D game. Instructions during the game are very simple: you have to respect the speed limits and try to arrive on time when there is a time of arrival. Sometimes you get stations where there is no time limit, but be aware that after those stations, you get others with time limit and the clock is always ticking, so you don't want to lose much time even if there's no time limit.

If you are at a certain speed and the speed limit goes down, you have a few seconds to slow down your train, but if you don't do so the ATS (Automatic Train Stop) activates to slow you down. The terrain also goes up and down, and this affects the speed of the train. Very realistic. If you arrive at a station at 100km/h and want to stop the train in 100m, it's impossible. Stopping trains takes time and distance, and this game wants to be as good simulator as it can be, and IMO it does very well. The only thing I miss is the whistle, which Dengo has but not this one. It would have been great to be able to blow the whistle when getting to the station, losing points for blowing it too much, etc.

I think the dev might get some updates released, because in the how to play, he says that v1.00 only has 6-car trains, which hints at the possibility of getting updates with different train lengths an therefore different behaviours (brake quicker, accelerate slower, etc.)
03-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Looks cool but I'm going to wait for a sale before jumping on this one.
03-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by oooooomonkey View Post
Looks cool but I'm going to wait for a sale before jumping on this one.
I don't regret purchasing the game even though it's expensive, but as I said, this won't satisfy everyone...
03-04-2012, 10:40 AM
My hope is that the presence of this will persuade Taito to bring Yamanote to the US. *fingers crossed*

VB, would you say the experience was as good with this app as Yamanote or is Yamanote (for the price) still the way to go?

ıllıllı ȼǥɲƹƮȿƹ˅ƹɲ ıllıllı