★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Reviews of Resident Evil: Degeneration

05-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Reviews of Resident Evil: Degeneration

STORY

You play as a secret agent Leon Kennedy, sent to Rescue a group of survivors Trapped in an airport full of zombies. The Story is told through in game cut scenes that utilize the game engine, however there is no voices, all the characters speak in text, the game also make use of timed button presses during the cutscenes, much like hero of sparta. The game very loosely follows the plot of the movie. Resident evil Fans will recognize characters such as Claire Redfield, or the G-virus mutants. But newcomers to the series will have a hard time trying to figure out what is going on, and why there's a guy with a gas mask trying to sell you guns. The missions in this game are quite repetitive, most require you to find id cards and open doors, or go retrieve something. However there is some boss battles, but even then they dont really stand out. The game's Story starts off okay but it never really takes off, i never found myself immersed in the setting of Degeneration. Its also missing some the puzzles commonly found in resident evil games. There is also a mercenary mode, which puts you in a race against the clock to kill as much zombies as you can, you unlock this mode after beating the game.

Overall the story isnt bad, but it isn't all that good either. Its more tailored towards Resident evil fans.

Presentation

Capcom really nailed it with the presentation. The games menus are easy to navigate and the startup screen is really great to look at. Resident Evil really sets the mood for a good scare. The Airport is dark and gloomy, and really quite great to look at as you creep through the corridors and rooms. The whole game takes place in the aiport. Which has about 5 floors, with lots of rooms to explore. In terms of the enviroment Capcom really brought the Resident Evil vibe to this game. But Degeneration does have its flaws, while the character model for Leon is pretty good the rest of the characters are a mess, low polygon count and all. and it really takes away from the immersion. theres also issues with the camera, it stays fixed behind Leon's back unless you go to shoot or knife. This becomes an issue when you back up to a wall and your view becomes completely obscured by the character's head or the wall behind you. The game does a really good job of making you feel claustrophobic. the airport is full of small narrow corridors with many doors on the sides. and my personal favorite is the crashed airplane you go into with its red flickering lights, and broken chairs with debree everywhere..it really impressed me.The zombies look great too, and the darker areas of the aiport are always crawling with em =D. The framerate stays smooth most of the time, although the game did seem to stutter during a save or checkpoint. But other than that it ran perfectly fine

Overall it has the resident evil vibe, Zombies dark corridors and creepy little rooms. the poor character models and camera issues are a nuisence but dont really take away from the game's scare factor. The Presentation is very well done

Gameplay

There's really not much to say about this game's gameplay. Its genuine Resident evil, clunky controls included. You use a virtual anolog stick to move around, you hit a button on the left to enter aim mode, the anolog stick then allows you to aim, flicking the anolog stick all the way to the left, right, up, or down will let you do a quick shuffle in that direction, the aim buttons also turns into the fire button. However the shuffle doesnt always register which could lead to some frustration. there's also a button that puts you into knife mode, no explanation needed. there''s also an action button which you use to climb ladders, jump through small openings, collect items and vault over things. You tilt the idevice forward then back to reload, you also shake the device to push zombies off of you. The controls can be inverted or mirrored, placing the analog stick on the left or right. Resident evil fans wont mind the controls, but for everyone else itll take some gettin used to, and even then they dont work all that well.

one thing that really bugged me was the range of your weapons, the weapons dont shoot very far, and you almost have to run into a zombie's line of sight to shoot them. The zombie's AI could also use some work, sometimes they'll just walk right by you without batting an eye. Theres a variety of weapons in this game, from your basic handgun to Uzis. they can be bought and upgraded from the merchants. you'll also find money and little trinkets around the aiport which you use to buy these weapons and items. The trademark resident evil Herbs are also laying around for you to find.

Sound

The lack of voices is dissapointing, however the music really works well with the horror theme and the sense of hopelessness and gloom. it also changes occording to the situation, as your walking through the halls you'll hear sad gloomy melodies, then if you encounter a zombie itll switch to faster paced chase music . The sound effects are decent but they dont really stand out.

Overall this is a good game with a few issues that keep it from bieng great.
The setting and the soundtrack really work well. And you actually feel like your on your own trying to survive. The level design also works well with the rest of the game, the resident evil feel is here, not doubt about it.

However the story is uninspiring, the controls are clunky and its missing some things from other resident evil games.

If your a Resident Evil fan, and/or a survival horror fan i highly recomend picking this one up, as it is currently the best survival horror game on the app store. But if your not a fan of the genre or the name then theres probably other games you'd enjoy more.

6.8/10

Last edited by somedude445; 05-13-2009 at 03:15 PM.
05-13-2009, 02:41 PM
sd445, nice intro review. I've been thinking about buying this. Based on your final rating I think you just saved me $7 Enjoy Touch Arcade.

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon

05-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_952000 View Post
sd445, nice intro review. I've been thinking about buying this. Based on your final rating I think you just saved me $7 Enjoy Touch Arcade.
Nice review and couldn't have put it better myself. The game is fine, but nothing to write home about.
05-13-2009, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_952000 View Post
That's too bad. It's a fun game.

Helvetica will treat you good if you take time to understand her.
05-13-2009, 02:45 PM
it is fun but i think he last statement really makes it a buy or not. if u like resident evil buy it, if not save ur money for zenonia

Games that i am playing: Rolando 2, Castle of Magic, Peggle, Real Racing, Star Defense, Zenonia, Pocket God(always)
Games i am looking forward to: Kill Test
Plus+ name: Xgamer1224
05-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
Nice review and couldn't have put it better myself. The game is fine, but nothing to write home about.
wow...i completely disagree...i think its one of the best games to come out on the iphone/pod so far......really polished and complete....im amazed so many people seem to just compare it to its console counterparts....its really a joy to play!!!!

heres my review:
LOVE THIS GAME!

Outside of playing Resident Evil on some old Playstation 1 at my friends house occasionally(years ago), I have not played any of the other versions. What I remember about that game was the mood and real sense of creepiness it exuded along with the occasionally monster popping into the screen and actually making me jump a little.

So to play a version of this game years later on the ipod, the thought thrilled me….
And here, years later, 7 levels into RE Regeneration, I have jumped twice so far.
This is either a fantastic feat or im a total scaredy cat. I vote for the former.
Ive purchased a lot of games since getting my Ipod 2G, but this is the first time ive savored nearly every moment in a game. Yes, the storyline is a bit loose. No, the controls aren’t the greatest. And no, there are not many puzzling moments. BUT, this game really works. Here’s why:

The music, although a tad repetitive, sets a tonality that perfectly suits the game; creepy and minimalist. I personally set the music volume higher than the effects, plug in my earbuds and let the morning/afternoon bus noise transition into that awkward horror movie backdrop.

Any abandoned setting will do, but I love the idea of exploring a deserted airport. It’s a familiarity recognizable to most people and the framerate allows you to smoothly explore without hesitation. Its rendered beautifully and it will soon have you wondering where everyone went and what happened…that is of course until you happen upon your first zombie.

The controls are a little odd, but I had no trouble quickly becoming accustomed to them…Honestly, they are some of the better controls I’ve seen in a touch game. Simplistic and sufficient. One button to move and one or two others for actions. I can name 50 games with worse controls, so I don’t see a reason to get fussy. Oliath put it best when he said “but the fear of the game comes from you being rooted in the spot NOT being able to quickly strafe and move around while you hear zombies creaping up behind you.” I agree 100%, enough said.

Judging from other users and my own experience, the game seems to have a running time of about 2 hours over 11 levels...I myself have been taking my sweet time exploring on easy mode and will run through the game again on hard mode. The replayability has yet to be seen, but the experience so far is worth the cost.
EDIT: completed the game, so yes, 11 chapters, took me a little over 2 hours, unlocked mercenary mode for timed play in 2 levels with 3 gun combinations.

The only problems Ive had are using the 180 turn swipe, which for whatever reason I cannot consistently utilize and the fact that you must face a merchant directly in order to start a buying deal, which can be slightly annoying. None of the issues have deterred or inhibited my enjoyment of this game.

So point out as many problems as you like but rest assured, RE Regeneration is an example of why this device is a solid contender for handheld gaming. A fantastic, smooth, engrossing horror themed game.

Last edited by aleceiffel; 05-13-2009 at 04:19 PM.
05-13-2009, 02:51 PM
i havent picked this 1 up yet, but i might try it out... im getting another 25 dollar gift card for zenonia and nfs, i have 8 left i might try this 1
05-13-2009, 02:53 PM
This was a pretty hard game to review, being a resident evil fan myself i wanted to give it a higher score but instead i just kinda stepped back and took a look at it from the average gamer's point of view.

for me its prob the best game on my itouch, yet my friends cant stand it..i think its a love it or hate it game

Top 3 games: Real racing, F.A.S.T, Caster

Check out daily game reviews here>>>>>here<<<<<<<

Last edited by somedude445; 05-13-2009 at 02:55 PM.
05-13-2009, 02:54 PM
This was a pretty hard game to review, being a resident evil fan myself i wanted to give it a higher score but instead i just kinda stepped back and took a look at it from the average gamer's point of view.

----------as an average gamer myself, i'd rate it much higher
05-13-2009, 02:59 PM
This is the best game ever!*

*I was paid $20 to say that.

HTML Code:
<name> Noah <!-- hello.wordpress.com -->
<member since> Sept. 2008 <!-- that's 8+ years -->
<title> Senior Applications Developer <!-- CricketWireless.com -->