★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Poker + Jewels = Awesome! and 100% FREE!
"Addicting - Loaded it on a whim and can't put it down" --Maria Stout
"Fantastic. Great way to learn poker and it's really addictive. Tell someone about it, it's a hit." --Marsha7070

"Fun! I love playing this game! If you like video poker, this is a fun, addictive game! I also love Word Jewels, which is from the same company. Keep these games coming!" --Smudgemom

"Surprisingly Addictive - I like Word Jewels, so I tried Poker Jewels. It's a slightly different mind you use to move through the levels. I like it!!" --NathanielsGirl

---

Poker Jewels is a fun puzzle game where you try to make the best five-card hands, such as Two Pair, Full House, or even the rare Royal Flush!

To pass each level, you just need to use the special Gold Cards on the board when you play.

But play carefully! You only get a limited number of moves for each level

No timer, so you can take your time and relax
Large, Easy to Read playing cards, perfect for anyone who has a hard time reading tiny letters on their iPhone or iPad!

Intuitive touch controls!
Elegant graphics!

Compete against your friends and against everyone worldwide for the highest scores on Game Center
Your progress is automatically saved, all the time, so go ahead and take that call or jump out to any other apps - you can come back and pick up playing right where you left off!

Sounds can be disabled if you want a quiet game
You can even listen to your own music while you play

Thanks for playing!
Come see us at http://boyhowdytechnology.com

POKER JEWELS is a trademark of Boy Howdy Technology LLC.

erich's comments:

Poker Jewels just came out last night. It's a relaxing puzzle game that starts off pretty easy, but can get pretty tough once you're up in the higher levels.

Trace "hands" of 5 cards to use up all the gold cards on the board, but you only have a limited number of "moves" for each level.

100% free! Give it a try! :-)

http://boyhowdytechnology.com/pokerjewels/
03-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Game Impressions

Pretty cute and fun!

Sure Poker Square games have been coming out a dime a dozen here at the AppStore but this one has a couple of interesting twists.

All of the cards are already placed on the 5x5 grid with a random few them golden. Your task, beyond simply make the big poker hands, is to use all of the golden cards on the board before you use up your limited number of moves. As the levels progress there are more golden cards to clear and, thankfully, you're given more moves to clear them (although the golden cards definitely seem to increase at a steeper curve than the extra moves, so as to keep the challenge pretty high).

Interestingly enough, having some unused moves at the end of the level is worth more than almost any of the hands you could score so the emphasis is definitely on eliminating the golden cards in as few moves as possible. The game, however, is clever enough to not allow you to simply make garbage hands as only a Pair of Jacks or better count as valid moves.

A tight little free game powered by banner ads
4/5

(I played the iPad version, Poker Jewel Solitaire XL, but I'm sure, other than a slightly different UI, it would be the same experience)

P.S. I wanted to leave this as my iTunes review but it is pulling some weird "You must first download the game to leave a review" at the same time, by having the download button grayed out, iTunes clearly knows I already have. This is the same nonsense I get sometimes when trying to review a game I got via a promo code, but this was a free download in this case, not a promo.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews

Last edited by LordGek; 03-06-2012 at 12:39 PM.

03-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Hey Tim - thanks for checking out PJ! Not sure what's up with iTunes the past few days, but yeah I've seen some weirdness too.

If you dig the overall vibe of Poker Jewels, I should say that it's a sibling to another game of mine called Word Jewels (not universal, separate iPhone/iPad versions) http://boyhowdytechnology.com/wordjewels/ , which has the same game play but is all about making words. Word people seem to dig WJ, but my Dad is more of a solitaire guy so I was inspired to make PJ. :-)
03-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erich View Post
Hey Tim - thanks for checking out PJ! Not sure what's up with iTunes the past few days, but yeah I've seen some weirdness too.

If you dig the overall vibe of Poker Jewels, I should say that it's a sibling to another game of mine called Word Jewels (not universal, separate iPhone/iPad versions) http://boyhowdytechnology.com/wordjewels/ , which has the same game play but is all about making words. Word people seem to dig WJ, but my Dad is more of a solitaire guy so I was inspired to make PJ. :-)
Thinking that might be the case I already grabbed it but have yet to fire it up. While the ads aren't too obtrusive, is there some sort of IAP option to kill them?

My iTunes Reviews
03-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Thinking that might be the case I already grabbed it but have yet to fire it up. While the ads aren't too obtrusive, is there some sort of IAP option to kill them?
I keep count of the number of requests for being able to remove the ads, and I will admit I've been surprised by how few times I've heard it, as compared with any other suggestions that have come in.

The effort of building in IAP as compared with other features has kept it at the bottom of my todo list. But I'm adding your +1 :-)
03-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Quote:
I keep count of the number of requests for being able to remove the ads, and I will admit I've been surprised by how few times I've heard it, as compared with any other suggestions that have come in.

The effort of building in IAP as compared with other features has kept it at the bottom of my todo list. But I'm adding your +1 :-)
No problem, I'll bet you just dropping a whole other version for $1 without the ads would be simpler, calling it something like "PJS Pro".

My iTunes Reviews
03-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
No problem, I'll bet you just dropping a whole other version for $1 without the ads would be simpler, calling it something like "PJS Pro".
Yep, that's definitely easier than building in IAP. I tried that with some of my apps previously, and then they get their own separate GameCenter leaderboard, and with so few people buying the Pro version the leaderboard looks a bit like a ghost town and not the thriving community I'm shooting for. :-) So I would rather do the IAP thing to keep it all as one app/community. Alright maybe I'll buckle down and figure out IAP this week... ;-)
03-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Yep, that's definitely easier than building in IAP. I tried that with some of my apps previously, and then they get their own separate GameCenter leaderboard, and with so few people buying the Pro version the leaderboard looks a bit like a ghost town and not the thriving community I'm shooting for. :-) So I would rather do the IAP thing to keep it all as one app/community. Alright maybe I'll buckle down and figure out IAP this week... ;-)
No rush, the ads really are pretty painless, I just think that is a nice way I can donate a $1 to a good cause but still at least get SOMETHING in return.

My iTunes Reviews
03-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Just wanted to add my vote to LordGek's thoughts. Good game and it's a nice pick up and play sort of brain teaser. The idea of getting more points for unused turns really makes you plan out your moves so that you can get the most points. I've also found myself using a bit of strategy to bring cards down from the top so that I can get four of a kind and other good hands.

I would also pay the buck to lose the ads. Like was mentioned... not because they get in the way, but because it's nice to toss a little backk at a Dev for giving me a bit of fun.

Best of luck with the game.

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5
03-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Just started a thread for your other game, Word Jewels:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=2169825

My iTunes Reviews