★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

3D in the SDK?

05-13-2009, 06:23 PM
3D in the SDK?

Sorry for the dumb question here. But is it possible to do ANY type of 3D app in the default SDK? Thanks.

I'M ON A MAC MOTHAF*@%!

Cloudcell, Plus+, Baseball Slugger, TTR: dannys95
05-13-2009, 06:25 PM
OpenGL ES is more than capable of producing 3D games, it's what all 3D games utilize, so yes.

Didev Studios || Twitter || YouTube || Facebook
Releases
GeoSnake || Bugz || Review Scraper (Open Source)

05-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertWittyName View Post
OpenGL ES is more than capable of producing 3D games, it's what all 3D games utilize, so yes.
Could you explain a bit more? What kind of file does it read......is it good......etc. Thanks!

I'M ON A MAC MOTHAF*@%!

05-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannys95 View Post
Could you explain a bit more? What kind of file does it read......is it good......etc. Thanks!
Google 'OpenGL ES'. It is capable of reading 3DS Max files I believe and a whole bunch of others.
05-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerz View Post
Google 'OpenGL ES'. It is capable of reading 3DS Max files I believe and a whole bunch of others.
Does it read .dae files?

I'M ON A MAC MOTHAF*@%!

05-14-2009, 02:01 AM
OpenGL ES doesn't read any files on its own.

SHREDD GO FAST! FREE!
Nozoku Rush Kick Math's Ass!
Critter Panic Break yer brain! FREE!
Silverfish & Silverfish MAX Hardcore arcade insanity!
Nozoku A casual game of math & logic.
More: cbox.me Twitter YouTube
05-14-2009, 02:49 AM
There is no "3D engine" in the SDK, i.e. you have to implement your own mesh import routines. We do use Collada (.dae), but we convert them to our own format (.zmesh) and use that.

OpenGL ES can render triangles, that's it. You have to feed it triangles and it'll output jolly colorful tris on the screen for ya (extremely simplified, of course).

If you are new to programming, I would suggest starting with 2D and not 3D, and also start extremely small. Do a Pong clone, do a Tetris clone, do a Space Invader clone and so on. I personally wouldn't recommend any type of ready-made engine, you will not learn the basics that way. It's kind of like getting fit and loosing weight -- there is no shortcut, just hard work.
05-14-2009, 02:51 AM
Quote:
Does it read .dae files?
OpenGL ES does not READ any file types.
It is just a rendering or drawing API.

You are free to make your own code or use a library to load up any file format
you want and then GL can draw that data.
05-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
There is no "3D engine" in the SDK, i.e. you have to implement your own mesh import routines. We do use Collada (.dae), but we convert them to our own format (.zmesh) and use that.

OpenGL ES can render triangles, that's it. You have to feed it triangles and it'll output jolly colorful tris on the screen for ya (extremely simplified, of course).

If you are new to programming, I would suggest starting with 2D and not 3D, and also start extremely small. Do a Pong clone, do a Tetris clone, do a Space Invader clone and so on. I personally wouldn't recommend any type of ready-made engine, you will not learn the basics that way. It's kind of like getting fit and loosing weight -- there is no shortcut, just hard work.
OK...........so I'm starting to understand this a bit. But here's the deal.

The game is 2D (it's being made by a friend of mine). But there's certain parts where you collect an item. I'm making these items in 3D. So I was wondering if the SDK had a way of displaying the 3D image and letting the user turn it by flicking the screen. It's basic shapes.

I'M ON A MAC MOTHAF*@%!

Last edited by dannys95; 05-14-2009 at 10:21 AM.
05-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Quote:
OK...........so I'm starting to understand this a bit. But here's the deal.

The game is 2D (it's being made by a friend of mine). But there's certain parts where you collect an item. I'm making these items in 3D. So I was wondering if the SDK had a way of displaying the 3D image and letting the user turn it by flicking the screen. It's basic shapes.
Short answer, no.