★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: **Selected by Apple in the App Store Best of 2012**
'An inventive, hypnotic diversion.' Top Game: The Sunday Times
'It's not often a game is released that can truly claim to be art, but Sir Benfro's Brilliant Balloon deserves the title' The Observer
'I can't get over how good the music and graphics are...a delightful experience.' - Touch Arcade
'Utterly unique' - App of the Day, Gizmodo
'A sweet-hearted, lyrical distraction where the journey is its own reward' - App of the Day, Eurogamer
'One of the most visually original and beautiful games I have ever seen, on any platform.' - VGChartz

Guide Sir Benfro and his brilliant balloon through fantastical new worlds filled with weird and wonderful creatures.

As a naturalist, scientist and explorer, Sir Benfro has made some of the most important discoveries of his generation. Without him we would have no idea that instead of laying eggs, the female Stingomp knits her offspring from the laces of old pairs of sneakers.

Fly Sir Benfro through beautiful new lands. Float into forests, across oceans and down into the centre of the Earth. But take care! Youre never far from bumping into the next bizarre beast.

Magical fireflies power Sir Benfros balloon. Fly as fast as you can to keep collecting the fireflies and reach the end of each adventure.

- A one touch game control thats easy to pick up.
- 4 adventures: Yellow Leaves, Forest, Islands and Underground.
- Learn more about the creatures youve discovered in the Spotters Guide.
- A game for all ages. Three difficulty settings: Beginner, Brilliant and Bonkers.

andsoitgoes's comments:

So, this looks really cool. The art looks stunning and although it seems fairly standard in the mechanics, the atmosphere (combined with the fact that a children's book is being released later this year!) and the art have me intrigued.

Anyone try it out?

Official Trailer, YouTube:

Ah ha, figured out how to embed the blasted video! That was pain.
02-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Looks like a good game. Wish it had Game Center though...

Game Center ID: Snooptalian

02-03-2012, 09:15 PM
This game is great. Challenging and beautiful. 5 stars. Well done.
02-04-2012, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooptalian View Post
Looks like a good game. Wish it had Game Center though...
Seconded! I've already bought my weekly helping of games that don't support GC, so I'll pass for now.

Looks good though!

Game Center: GoofyJmaster My Twitter; Weekly Game Impressions! Thread; Game Guide 2011
Playing Frederic Resurrection of Music, Jazz: Trump's Journey, Russian Dancing Men, & Cytus
02-04-2012, 03:55 AM
Oh crap...I searched and found nothing, so made a new thread for this. Lemme report my thread and ask for it to be closed.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
02-07-2012, 02:07 AM
Game Impressions

02-07-2012, 07:24 AM
Game Impressions

This has a lovely and whimsical presentation with simple controls and challenging gameplay. It is well worth your buck!

Game Center: MarinasideSteve
02-07-2012, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis7 View Post
This has a lovely and whimsical presentation with simple controls and challenging gameplay. It is well worth your buck!
Agreed. Haven't put as much time on it as I would like, but the game is gorgeous. Gameplay-wise it's a fairly standard (and challenging) cave flyer with a few awesome twists. What sets this apart, though, is the sense of discovery: the thought that an amazing new sight waits for you around the corner makes the experience incredibly compelling. Anyone who spent hours photographing every creature in Beyond Good and Evil will definitely get a kick out of the monster collection mechanic. All in all a lovely title.
02-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Initial Thoughts After a Few Minutes of Gameplay

I was holding back based on the screens alone, intriguing as they were. But, Sanuku's vid, the irresistible price-point and the initial positive forum-speak got me going. Great appeal for all ages, but engaging and challenging enough for old fogeys like me. I sent an in-game postcard to my brother so he could also buy the game for himself and his kiddos.

I like how the ability to fine-tune one's movements is enabled through slowing down via quick, multi-taps. Although I do prefer a mechanism that allows one to accelerate, especially after having stopped on a dime avoiding the Brackle McStrudys in the Yellow Leaves level. As it is, I'll have to better anticipate their up-and-down presence, but it seems given their rather quick on-screen appearance and the momentum of my progress this is a very difficult maneuver, hence, my above recommendation. Then again, I've only completed 44% on "medium" and have only played it 10 minutes, so my feelings may change down the road.

The nigh-monochrome color scheme married with the 2.5 animation and storybook charm make for some generous eye-candy as well as a good motivation to press "Purchase" for a cave-flyer skeptic like myself.

Addendum:

I've encountered some bugs. I'm on an iPad 2, non-JB, iOS 5.0.1 and the game crashed a couple of times after I passed the first Brackle McSturdy in Yellow Leaves and crashed (kept hitting the cave walls). When the game crashes, I'm brought immediately to the Home screen. Hopefully the devs troll this forum. Also, it'd be great to have checkpoints along the way so players don't have to start from the beginning if they suck eggs gameplay-wise.

I sent the dev an email about this.

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."
Drummerboycroy

Last edited by ColeDaddy; 02-07-2012 at 10:19 AM.
02-07-2012, 09:05 AM
A lot like Whale Trail in a few ways
-Oozing charm
-VERY accessible, pick-up-and-play
-Challenging without being pull-your-hair-out-hard
-Did I mention its charm? The presentation is top-notch

A very quaint, relaxing, fun little game. I played through the first level (yellow trees? yellow leaves?) while waiting for my bus the other day. Good stuff.