★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Boneyard - Slide. Spin. Win. (An Original Domino Game)

03-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Boneyard - Slide. Spin. Win. (An Original Domino Game)

Easy to pick up, hard to master and harder still to put back down, Boneyard is a game with a simple concept: Match dominos with similar values to remove them from the play field. Continue matching tiles until all the tiles
are scored. Simple enough, but to achieve the highest scores you'll have to master the ability to match larger groups of tiles in a single move, and do it quickly!

Taking elements from traditional Domino games, Mahjong, and sliding tile style puzzles, Boneyard delivers an original gaming experience that offers something for everyone.

The driving goal for Boneyard from day one was to create a compelling, fun game that is completely original, but maintains a solid link with the games that influenced its design. In this way the game feels both new and still familiar the first time you pick it up.

Boneyard's OpenFeint integration provides achievements, leaderboards and challenges, with full support for offline progress and Game Center synchronization.

Boneyard is currently available for purchase in the AppStore worldwide (localization forthcoming) ($0.99 USD, pricing in local currencies may vary).

Video tutorials as well as brief game play demonstrations can be viewed on the Rebel Drone YouTube channel at:

http://youtube.com/OfficialRebelDrone

You can also follow us for news and updates at:

http://www.rebeldrone.com
http://facebook.com/RebelDrone
http://twitter.com/RebelDrone
03-07-2012, 12:03 PM

03-07-2012, 12:05 PM
That looks much better, thanks!
03-07-2012, 12:15 PM
I am trying to understand how to play the game. In the tutorial vid, could the three sixes at the top have been removed?

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."
Drummerboycroy

Last edited by ColeDaddy; 03-07-2012 at 12:32 PM.
03-07-2012, 12:41 PM
@ColeDaddy - Absolutely. This was my first stab at creating videos, so it may be a bit rough.

In the walkthrough videos I was after demonstrating specific concepts, so you'll probably see moves I could have made but didn't.

There's a double 6 full gameplay video posted on the channel as well that shows me playing through a game end to end, the strategy and move selection should make more sense there (though playing for the video made me a bit twitchy and nervous ).

Youtube link | Pop Up
03-07-2012, 01:59 PM
Thanks. I will check out the vid.

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."
Drummerboycroy
03-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Great write-up from AppAdvice.com - http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/03/b...lear-the-board
03-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Game Impressions

Grabbed it and am finding it a fun little solo domino diversion.

I'm still getting the hang of things but the idea is fairly straight forward and fun. Slide and flip the dominoes on the board so as to connect as many dominoes as you can together by at least one of their numbers and then, once happy with what you've arranged with the current batch, highlight a string of connected dominoes and hit the score button to remove them from the board and have their now vacated spaces get replaced by some new dominoes.

At first that need to select connected tiles before scoring seemed like an extra tedious bother, but now I understand why it is there. Since you can only remove one connected string at a time it is very possible, at any given moment, you'll have several potential chains you could score at any given moment and that you may just want to score some small couple of dominoes to get them out of the way as you continue to work on some really huge potential chain with the rest of the pieces. Also since the power-ups need to be manually activated, it is important that you be able to make perfectly clear which group you want to apply the effects to.

While I think I have the basics down and have actually won a couple of games of my several attempts (managed to clear all of the dominoes from play), I'm far from achieving any of the game's medal speeds. If I recall you need to finish within 1 minute 30 in the Double Six set, and my quickest completion is over 5 minutes!

4/5

P.S. They might want to include a simplified trainer mode where the game auto-selects your current highest scoring match for the player. Unacceptable for a pro player but possibly decent for starting.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
03-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the writeup, and glad to hear you are getting hooked on the game

Regarding the time bonuses and hitting those rewards, it's really a question of building up your visual acuity. Having been playing Double 6 games extensively for the last 4 months, I tend to hit 45-55s average most games, but when I first started play testing, I was right where you were.

Of course, the game was much much more tedious and slow when the play testing was happening on a table top with physical dominoes, but it was definitely a fun experience designing a game on the table and then transitioning it to the device.

Your comments regarding the tutorial are spot on, it is admittedly a weak spot overall game. After about a month of user testing where the people playing the game were in the room with me and I could guide them through the intracies of the game I actually found it pretty difficult to translate those experiences into a tutorial that I was really happy with.

Of course what I found following introduction of the tutorial to beta testers was that most new testers ignored it completely.

I'll definitely spend some time improving this area of the game in the next few releases. I hope you'll continue playing and enjoying it, and thanks again for your writeup and comments, much appreciated.
03-11-2012, 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOverlund View Post
Thanks for the writeup, and glad to hear you are getting hooked on the game

Regarding the time bonuses and hitting those rewards, it's really a question of building up your visual acuity. Having been playing Double 6 games extensively for the last 4 months, I tend to hit 45-55s average most games, but when I first started play testing, I was right where you were.

Of course, the game was much much more tedious and slow when the play testing was happening on a table top with physical dominoes, but it was definitely a fun experience designing a game on the table and then transitioning it to the device.

Your comments regarding the tutorial are spot on, it is admittedly a weak spot overall game. After about a month of user testing where the people playing the game were in the room with me and I could guide them through the intracies of the game I actually found it pretty difficult to translate those experiences into a tutorial that I was really happy with.

Of course what I found following introduction of the tutorial to beta testers was that most new testers ignored it completely.

I'll definitely spend some time improving this area of the game in the next few releases. I hope you'll continue playing and enjoying it, and thanks again for your writeup and comments, much appreciated.
I'm still convinced the system to select dominoes for scoring is a bit cumbersome but, to be honest, can't quite think how it could be improved. I personally would love some subtle visual feedback on which dominoes currently share an active connection to the one I've just selected. Better yet, once I select my second linked domino, which other dominoes could still, at this moment, be added to this selection chain? What I often fail to quickly visualize is that even though domino A links to B, and domino B links to C, you might not necessarily be able to string all 3 together.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews