★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: TheCarpenter: Challenging puzzle

03-08-2012, 12:50 PM
TheCarpenter: Challenging puzzle

I have developed this puzzle with a few friends. I am kinda new here, but have had a long life in the cocos2d forums. My main goal is to let you know that there is a new challenge out there and I would like you to experience it.

I gotta tell you guys, it is not for the faint of heart. The first 20 stages or so are just a glimpse of the gameplay so the player get used to the single and most complete command he may do in the game: drawing paths.

This game sets a new standard to path drawing. You sole task is to draw a path with nails and, if you are precise enough, make the ball collect the tools and hit the termite. The big deal is that after stage 20 you need to think hard to make it work and live with some trial by error. In this game nothing is thrown away, so if you had half the solution of the stage you are always able to come back and improve it. The purpose is to relax while having the opportunity to use your brains.

Check out the screenshots and official video at http://www.thecarpenterapp.com

Pay attention to the reviews of the celebrities on the top of the website. They know what they are talking about.

The app is Universal and is awesome to play with an iPad.

HINT: My personal opinion is that by watching the video you really get into hunting the termite.
03-08-2012, 12:52 PM

03-08-2012, 01:04 PM
I don't see any clocks in the screens or vid, but are we timed to come up with solutions? Also, since there is a lot of trial and error involved, is the level refresh rate pretty fast or is there a bit of a wait?

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."
Drummerboycroy
03-08-2012, 01:10 PM
Hi ColeDaddy, you have as much time as you need to come up with a solution. The time that really plays any role is the time taken by the ball to get the tools and hit the termite. That time is used to increase the score.

The current score takes into account the number of tools collected, the number of nails (less is better) and time taken by the ball to follow the path (less is better). This shows up once you complete the stage.

Enjoy!
03-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaaroth View Post
Hi ColeDaddy, you have as much time as you need to come up with a solution. The time that really plays any role is the time taken by the ball to get the tools and hit the termite. That time is used to increase the score.

The current score takes into account the number of tools collected, the number of nails (less is better) and time taken by the ball to follow the path (less is better). This shows up once you complete the stage.

Enjoy!
Thanks for your reply. How is the level refresh rate?

Drummerboycroy
03-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Ops, I forgot that one. It is "instantaneous". The screen goes white for half a second and you are good to go.
03-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaaroth View Post
Ops, I forgot that one. It is "instantaneous". The screen goes white for half a second and you are good to go.
Perfect. Thanks man.

Drummerboycroy
03-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Hey! I'm a carpenter! Is that maple?!

Mission Europa 2 is coming!!!
http://ryanmitchellgames.wordpress.com
03-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Ok, bought the game and played a handful of levels, so I am still learning the ropes, but I can tell a lot of care and feeding went into making this game. Much props to the devs as this may be the best game I've bought this week so far!

A couple of things:

1. I get a prompt saying that Gamecenter doesn't recognize this game
2. Please consider for upcoming builds an option to keep the sounds but mute the music.

Drummerboycroy
03-08-2012, 01:41 PM
You got me. The veins of the wood make me wonder, but I cant tell for sure. The Carpenter has left to do some marketing, so I cant ask him right away.