Support our Sponsors:

Old 03-08-2012, 11:13 PM

Default $100,000 Build (dev) Fund

Hey Guys, I work with a company called Kiip (site: kiip dot me), and wanted to tell you about a $100,000 build fund, where we're giving away $5,000 each to 20 developers, and helping you promote your app over the next 2 months.

You can see more here: http://kiip.me/fund and feel free to ask me any questions!

Disclaimer:
I'm brand new here, and I just started at Kiip, a rewards network and I'm getting a bit further into the gaming industry. I'm a long time lurker. But I'm hoping to help here where I can with any marketing and monetization questions. MODS, I know this is skirting close to promotion, but I'm just sharing something that I think devs in here will find useful and I promise to contribute! If you disagree, feel free to delete this post, and I will understand.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:57 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Just a few thoughts on this post and the 100k Build Fund.

1.) In my opinion this post is ok. If you were just straight-up pushing Kiip's services then it'd be problematic, but this is a "positive promotion" that may help out small development teams who need capital.

2.) I have some concerns with regards to the Terms and Conditions of the Build Fund. As part of the acceptance critieria, game and business information needs to be provided which is fine, but the Terms and Conditions state:
•Nature of Submissions. While Kiip does not expect that it will need to disclose your Application to others, you understand that your Application, as well as any other information or materials provided by you to Kiip (collectively, the “Materials”) are provided without any expectation that they will be held in confidence or that Kiip will be in any way restricted with respect to such Materials, any contrary indication of restrictions outside these Terms notwithstanding.

and this:
•KIIP WILL NOT BE LIABLE IN CONNECTION WITH THESE TERMS OR ANY SUBJECT MATTER RELATED TO THESE TERMS (WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT, NEGLIGENCE, OR ANY OTHER LEGAL OR EQUITABLE THEORY) FOR (I) ANY INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR OTHER CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, OR (II) FOR ANY AMOUNTS IN EXCESS OF TEN DOLLARS ($10).
These terms are problematic for me as a developer. With the state of affairs around game copying/cloning in our industry, I feel it is a lot to request that developers not expect any confidentiality in the application process. I do not mean any offense by this feedback and I am not suggesting anything negative about Kiip as a company. I understand that Kiip and other mobile companies have an obligation to set terms that are favorable to them, but our IP and our game is all that some of us have and these terms just feel too "loose" in my opinion.

I don't know what the solution is or if there even needs to be one. I'm sure there are developers who are fine with those particular terms. I just wanted to pass along my take on the one issue that sticks out for me in the Terms and Conditions.

Otherwise, the fund is a great idea and almost any capital (for the most part)is welcome when you're cash strapped.

DP
Old 03-09-2012, 12:22 AM

David, thanks for posting, and I definitely get what you're saying. I just talked to the guy who worked with the lawyers in putting them together. We were advised by them to be protective of ourselves - it's a reality of having venture capital money in the bank, and although we'd love to omit it, legalese is a necessary evil.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:03 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

This looks like an awesome opportunity. I had a quick read through the T&Cs but couldn't find anything about eligibility. From what I know if Kiip, they provide real life rewards for virtual achievements. Obviously rewards like coupons would be only valid in certain countries/states, so I'm wondering if Kiip and this promotion are limited to specific regions.

I'm an Australian developer and it's very common for us to be excluded from competitions and promotions.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunaalkiip View Post
David, thanks for posting, and I definitely get what you're saying. I just talked to the guy who worked with the lawyers in putting them together. We were advised by them to be protective of ourselves - it's a reality of having venture capital money in the bank, and although we'd love to omit it, legalese is a necessary evil.
lawyer make contract to protect you, not to make business...
NDA are pretty common. I don't thing any serious dev will apply with these terms.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamAtDevour View Post
This looks like an awesome opportunity. I had a quick read through the T&Cs but couldn't find anything about eligibility. From what I know if Kiip, they provide real life rewards for virtual achievements. Obviously rewards like coupons would be only valid in certain countries/states, so I'm wondering if Kiip and this promotion are limited to specific regions.

I'm an Australian developer and it's very common for us to be excluded from competitions and promotions.
Not this one! It is a global competition and anybody can apply.

About the rewards, yes they are primarily in the U.S. We're launching our first campaigns in Canada and the U.K. very shortly and now have a Sales office in Asia.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:37 AM
iPad (3rd Gen)

Application submitted! Looking forwards to hearing back from you guys.

I was looking at Kiip a little while ago and thought it looked like a very promising system. It's awesome to see you guys reaching out like this to the indie community! I hope, for all our sakes, that it helps get you firmly established in the industry, this is the direction I see advertising and game monetization going in the future!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:14 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunaalkiip View Post
Not this one! It is a global competition and anybody can apply.

About the rewards, yes they are primarily in the U.S. We're launching our first campaigns in Canada and the U.K. very shortly and now have a Sales office in Asia.
Thanks for the response! We'll be applying soon
Old 03-09-2012, 01:54 PM

Default Thanks for Submitting!

Thanks for submitting everyone! Feel free to ping me at kunaal@kiip.me or through PM and I'll keep an eye out for your submissions! Also, don't hesitate to e-mail to chat about Kiip or have any questions answered.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:41 PM
iPhone (Original), OS 3.x

Send a message via MSN to racingspider

What does 'integrate' Kiip with the app mean?

Is that an icon, splash screen, nag messages, ads? What sort of extra things will Kiip be doing on the chosen apps?