Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-15-2010, 01:26 AM

Default Dungeon Raid - Match 3 Puzzle RPG (v1.1) +lite Out Now

Old 11-15-2010, 01:53 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Intriguing, but not at this price without a video or a lite.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:09 AM

Indeed.

Also, can't tell if the art is bad, or just "stylistic".

But I'm a sucker for RPG progression mechanics in any genre.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:20 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Interested...is there any story or it's more like Sword&Poker or Shining Core?
Old 11-15-2010, 03:03 AM

I'd have to see more before buying but I love rpg match3s
Old 11-15-2010, 03:42 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

I picked it up after all. Haven't had enough time to play yet for a firm opinion, but initial impressions are very good. I'll post more later after I have a bit more time to play. Can say this much for now though: this isn't a throwaway title. Clearly some care and attention to detail have been applied, and no one thinking about picking this up need be concerned about a general lack of quality or polish.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:45 AM

The game has been temporarily removed from the store.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:55 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
I picked it up after all. Haven't had enough time to play yet for a firm opinion, but initial impressions are very good. I'll post more later after I have a bit more time to play. Can say this much for now though: this isn't a throwaway title. Clearly some care and attention to detail have been applied, and no one thinking about picking this up need be concerned about a general lack of quality or polish.
Was there any story or is it a compilations of battles?
Thanks!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:16 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

It's not clear to me from the screenshots what the gameplay is like. I don't see anything about what you fight against, or if there's more to the game than the battles.

I assumed initially the game would be like Puzzle Quest, but without more screenshot variety it's hard to say. I'd be curious to see a gameplay video / more pics.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:04 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Default Game Impressions

Ok, basically: this is a lot like a cross between a match-3 and a rogue-like. Nearest thing to it I can think of is Puzzle Quest, except that there is no story to speak of: again, think more "rogue-like" than "RPG" and you'll just about nail it.

Gameplay isn't the same type of match-3 as Bejeweled, Puzzle Quest, etc. either, as you can probably tell from screenshots. You don't slide the tiles but rather draw a line through 3 or more of the same type that are adjacent. Vertically, horizontally, or diagonally.

Another significant difference from Puzzle Quest is that you aren't battling an opponent; you are actually battling the skull tiles which appear on the board. Each one on board will do damage to you every turn. Matching sword tiles with skull tiles will in turn damage the skulls and eliminate them. Eliminating skulls gives you experience which in turn gains you levels and upgrades.

Additionally you are able to match coins until you fill up you purse/chest, at which point you are able to access a store to purchase weapons/armor, and, also match shields which replenish your defense and deflect some damage before your actual HPs go down.

Essentially then, the gameplay consists of balancing damaging the skulls with collecting coins and replenishing your armour. The goal appears to be simply to survive for as long as possible. Running out of hits points means game over and a restart from the beginning.

The game has local leaderboards only, which is the only serious flaw I could find. Thankfully, it's also one that's very easily fixed.

Technically everything appears to be sound, polished and well put together. Graphics and sound are adequate. Gameplay is fast and smooth. No music but it says you are able to play your own.

Overall a strong recommendation. Hopefully global leaderboards will be added, and if the dev chooses I can easily see a number of possible other enhancements and gameplay additions which could make this even stronger down the road.