★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Are there enough games that I like coming out?

03-14-2012, 06:20 AM
Are there enough games that I like coming out?

Recently, it seems like there isn't much new interesting games coming out. TouchArcade forums are filled with games posted by developers with something like 10 posts, there hasn't being any new Gameloft game for a while, nor Kariosoft. Developers like EA used to make good games like SimCity, Dead Space, etc but now they just make free2play games. Lots of developers have sort of died out, and there is less activity on TA forums. Just look at how much posts Eliminate thread has.

Is it just me or is iOS gaming dying out?
03-14-2012, 06:39 AM
No, it has exploded. There is a lot more junk than ever, and a sad swing toward freemium, but there are also more top notch games than ever coming out. I don't think its necessarily moving in the direction most serious gamers would want, and it may always be dominated by the casual and freemium, but there are awesome games coming out regularly enough to keep me interested. Also, to touch on your examples, Kairosoft still releases games regularly and has a new one coming out any day. EA just released a not free to play mobile version of a huge console franchise. Gameloft is dead. They will never release anything but garbage ever again, but that's okay, plenty of other developers are out there to full their shoes.

03-14-2012, 06:39 AM
I wouldn't say it's dying but I do think a lot of the freemium/DLC stuff and the lack of a updated iPod touch has driven quite a few people away.
Personally I'm not buying a new apple product but I'll keep using my iPod as long as it lasts.

To big a market to die completely though in my opinion but games that aren't DLC based are getting rarer for sure.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out
03-14-2012, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I wouldn't say it's dying but I do think a lot of the freemium/DLC stuff and the lack of a updated iPod touch has driven quite a few people away.
Personally I'm not buying a new apple product but I'll keep using my iPod as long as it lasts.

To big a market to die completely though in my opinion but games that aren't DLC based are getting rarer for sure.
Pretty much agree!

The iPod 5 was going to be my last Apple device, but who even knows when/if it'll be released.

If anything the market won't die, it'll become uglier - more free/paymium, more crap.

All I know is iOS gaming will prolly have some major competition in 2013.

Game Center: GoofyJmaster My Twitter; Weekly Game Impressions! Thread; Game Guide 2011
Playing Frederic Resurrection of Music, Jazz: Trump's Journey, Russian Dancing Men, & Cytus

Last edited by GoofyJmaster.; 03-14-2012 at 06:51 AM.
03-14-2012, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xapped View Post
Recently, it seems like there isn't much new interesting games coming out. TouchArcade forums are filled with games posted by developers with something like 10 posts, there hasn't being any new Gameloft game for a while, nor Kariosoft. Developers like EA used to make good games like SimCity, Dead Space, etc but now they just make free2play games. Lots of developers have sort of died out, and there is less activity on TA forums. Just look at how much posts Eliminate thread has.

Is it just me or is iOS gaming dying out?

It's you...

Well, look at your calendar. It's March. Most developers used up their ammo at christmas, now they need time to develop more titles. Depending on the game, most titles take at least 6 months to develop. The most games are released before or at holidays, before or at the gaming fairs, at this time of the year (also applying to June - September); it is usually more silent.

Don't worry, I think that iOS gaming is still getting better both in quantity and quality.
And it is normal that 4 weeks can pass without a title that matches your interests, I experienced the same a few times.

When I check back the last 8 weeks, there were a lot of interesting titles released, like Waking Mars, Adventure Bar Story, Zumas Revenge, Ghost Trick, Dungeon Crawlers, Beat Hazard, Invader Hunter, Hexus and more than a dozen other casual Big Fish games and a lot of other stuff. But that's just my taste.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.

Last edited by Vovin; 03-14-2012 at 07:01 AM.
03-14-2012, 06:59 AM
Fixed the thread title.
03-14-2012, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Fixed the thread title.

*laughs*

Well, that's exactly what my response was about.

edit: Just check the list of new releases now and tell me again that it is silent...

I also think that devs are hestitating to announce games too early lately. Too much of a game cloning risk these days.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.

Last edited by Vovin; 03-14-2012 at 08:01 AM.
03-14-2012, 10:05 AM
There's still so many good games out there that I haven't tried. Others are right, I think that March is time for development. If you want your app out by Christmas, now is the time to be coding. I know we're at the grindstone now.
03-14-2012, 10:35 AM
I feel like there's been a lot of really great games release in the past 3 or 4 weeks, so I'm not sure I see how it's slowing down. It hasn't from my perspective.

And MotoHeroz tonight! Yeah!
03-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Horses for courses ! There werent a lot of great games coming out for me personally after Xmas, some other people raved about certain games. About two weeks ago with League of Evil 2, Fancy Pants, Kale etc i had a great week of purchasing games, got about 5 that night. Some weeks will be quiet but then you get the odd surprise like Midway Arcade.

With so much variety around theres normally a fair few games i like. You mention Gameloft, i'm dis-interested in them now due to the disaster of Dungeon Hunter 3 and the letdown of IAP's in Six Guns. So i dont really follow them now so to me if Gameloft are 'quiet' i dont care.

Tonight theres 3 games i want to get, i mean 3 games a week is brilliant really. Just you 'might' be going through a quiet stretch, but with games so cheap just try a few and you might be surprised by games you thought you might not like