Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-14-2012, 08:03 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkieSuthorn View Post
Well, I went ahead and took the plunge. I will report back tomorrow after a good night of playing.
Looking forward to a report. I never played the Mac or PC version, so I'm rather reluctant to plunk down $20 for the game - especially since some of the reviews knock the consistency of the AI and the scripted missions (reviews seem to be something like 7-8 out of 10).

I'm wondering how close the game is to something like Battlefront's Combat Mission series. Have you ever played that?

Thanks!
--DotComCTO
Old 03-14-2012, 08:06 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus70 View Post
Are the 30 campaign levels included in the initial purchase?
It seems so... 10 per nation.

Munkie!
Old 03-14-2012, 08:18 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotComCTO View Post

I'm wondering how close the game is to something like Battlefront's Combat Mission series. Have you ever played that?

Thanks!
--DotComCTO
It seems not at all like that series. That series seems to be full 3d while this has a animated stylizing.

More to come tomorrow.

Munkie!
Old 03-14-2012, 08:28 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Some reviews of the PC version:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/...Battle.Academy

Also, may want to Google "Battlefield Academy," as I think it must have changed names sometime in its life.

Last edited by geoelectric; 03-14-2012 at 08:30 PM..
Old 03-14-2012, 08:35 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoelectric View Post
Some reviews of the PC version:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/...Battle.Academy

Also, may want to Google "Battlefield Academy," as I think it must have changed names sometime in its life.
I don't know if anyone else would agree, but the PC is chock full of in depth strategy games, where there aren't the pickings on the iOS. I believe that lends some further value to this title on THIS platform.

Munkie!
Old 03-14-2012, 08:55 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Default The new definition of Outstanding

If you are unsure, why not check out the PC demo version. The iOS version is IDENTICAL except for the touch interface, which I like better.

http://www.slitherine.com/games/bbc_ba_pc

I have spent all day playing through missions that I already enjoyed on the original, PC, game and enjoying them all over again. My poor PS Vita has been ignored, the XBOX is lonely, the PC only used for Facebooking. I can't wait to get some new PBEM games going.

BTW... the user generated campaigns and missions ARE available on iOS too. I though for sure they would make it impossible to get new content without paying, but no. You can download and play all the good UGC easily.

I paid $40 for the boxed PC version, $15 more for Blitzkrieg France, $15 more for Market-Garden and Operation See Lowe expansions. Selling it for $20.00 all together is a steal. I haven't unlocked the later campaigns on the iOS version yet, so I can't say for sure if they are free or IAP, but either way I'm thrilled to death and happy to spend a fraction of the PC price on this great game. And the UGC has some really good missions that are certainly free.

With the PBEM there is infinite replay value. If you want top quality, AAA products to come to iOS instead of stripped down, half-assed "mobile versions" we are going to have to pay more than the price of Angry Birds. It isn't right for every budget, but then serious, deep strategy games aren't for the same users who need a 5 minute fix of Tiny Tower either.

Check out the PC demo. Then decide whether to spend $40 for that, or $20 for the iOS version. I got both and am very well pleased. Now, to get that 5th star on the Tobruk defense...
Old 03-14-2012, 09:37 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Jumped right in and bought this, and I *think* it's worth the 20 beans so far. I've only played two missions and the tutorial so far and it seems to be a very well done turn based tactical game. So far I wish the animations were a little (30% or so) slower, and the map rotate and zoom were smoother. Otherwise it looks like a keeper so far.

However, the last 3 campaigns (France, Market Garden & Sealion) are IAP.

For $10.

Each.

Puts the total price for everything at 50 bucks, which must be another App Store high for games.

Had I known that going in I might have waited for a sale, as that's even more than the two Final Fantasy Tactics versions I purchased. Oh well, someone had to TOFTT I guess.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:38 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Watching the videos on youtube from the PC version, the gameplay looks great! I just wished their had a lite version for ipad to try out first.

Their other game on the Android platform "HISTORY Great Battles Medieval" is $6.99. I would think $9.99 would be a good base price, since the other campaigns are $10 a pop.

Pricing aside, I'm really surprised and very happy, they brough this over to the IOS platform.

Last edited by Marcus70; 03-14-2012 at 10:01 PM..
Old 03-14-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Harv View Post
However, the last 3 campaigns (France, Market Garden & Sealion) are IAP.

For $10.

Each.
I think the biggest bugger about this is that at $50, you're talking only the grognards who are going to buy it. That means a tiny, tiny universe of people to play with.

They're still thinking in terms of "how many hours of gameplay do you get for $50", and that is much less important than "how tiny is the community when it costs $50". Yes, a rational case can be made for a high price, but the App Store, especially for games that rely on multiplayer so much, is about getting a mass audience, even if that audience isn't as massive as say, Angry Birds.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:11 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

i dont see how they think charging 20 bucks plus 10 bucks per DLC pack is reasonable. this is the ios. EVEN THOUGH the game is worth the price. people just wont pay for it. BUT we will see in 3 months how they are progressing.