★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Its Flight Control But Not As You Know It!

This app offers in-app purchases. You may disable in-app purchasing using your device settings. See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4213 for more info

Flight Control Rocket is the next evolution of Firemint's genre-defining #1 hit, Flight Control.
Leave the terrestrial skies of Earth and venture into a whole new galaxy of adventure, action, and addictive path-drawing gameplay!

NEW VOYAGES AWAIT
10 new Motherships!
New Rescue game mode!
4 new Bots!

Simple Game, Stellar Content
The classic Flight Control experience but with a retro Sci-Fi inspired flavor and pace all of its own
15 spacecraft with unique abilities and characteristics
Thrilling game modes such as the fast-paced Infinity and the expansive Odyssey
A cast of quirky Robots with special powers that help boost your score

Unlimited Fun
Unlock a near endless number of stages. Push onward and venture to the farthest frontiers
Multiple lives means one collision isn't the end of your daring ion-powered adventure. The galaxy loves a risk-taker
Keep your fleet fully stocked with goodies from the Shop
Compete with the galaxys top captains on the online leaderboards
Prove your worth as a commander and claim Game Center achievements that will test your mettle and that of your Mothership!

Prepare to be amazed your trip through the vast unknown is about to begin!

Terms of Service : http://www.ea.com/terms-of-service
Privacy and Cookie Policy: http://www.ea.com/privacy-policy
Game EULA: http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/mobileeula/US/en/GM/
Visit https://help.ea.com/ for assistance or inquiries.

EA may retire online features and services after 30 days notice posted on www.ea.com/1/service-updates.

Important Consumer Information. This app: Contains direct links to the Internet; Collects data though third party ad serving and analytics technology (See Privacy & Cookie Policy for details).

Sanuku's comments:

03-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Nice, it's out. I wonder if my wife and son will like this one as much as the first.

I'm a little skeptical about there being a Shop, and I'm also wondering if this has multiplayer like the first.

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, FF Record Keeper, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind

03-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Bought. Hopefully I like it as much as the original. Interesting how it shows as being published by EA, no mention of Firemint

Now playing: Working my way through the best retro games recently re-relased including Sonic, Raiden Legacy, Blazing Star and more. Keep them coming! And revisiting all Orange Pixel titles...
03-15-2012, 01:12 PM
I was a huge fan of the first, so I'm downloading now! Way too many good games released this week; hell, the past couple of weeks.

And if the game release thread is right, we should be seeing even more good games.

Game Center: GoofyJmaster My Twitter; Weekly Game Impressions! Thread; Game Guide 2011
Playing Frederic Resurrection of Music, Jazz: Trump's Journey, Russian Dancing Men, & Cytus
03-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Game Impressions

Last edited by Sanuku; 03-15-2012 at 01:53 PM.
03-15-2012, 02:11 PM
So IAP is basically to purchase coins, which are then used on bots and items.

Are bots reusable once purchased?
What are batteries for?
What are the pink gems for?

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, FF Record Keeper, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind
03-15-2012, 02:29 PM
as much as i love the original..... i'll pass on this one. looks really dumbed down
03-15-2012, 02:42 PM
I dont normally buy games on launch cause I have too many to play already but I love flight control and play it so much that I didn't think, just hit buy app as fast as I could.

Playing: Ski Safari, Polara, Girls Like Robots, Dynamite Jack, Monster Flip, Polymer, Super Mole Escape, Dream of Pixels, Radballs
03-15-2012, 03:57 PM
I have played a couple game so far and I have to say I like it.

You earn coins in game, and they seem to come fairly fast, so IAP should only be if you want to unlock everything up front. For instance you start with just the Infinity map, and the Odyssey map unlocks for 5k coins. I have 2k coins after 2 games. So I am totally fine with having to play the first map 5 times to unlock the 2nd map.

Bots cost between 2500 and 100k coins. It looks like you can have up to 3 bots at a time, I only have the starter one right now. Also you have to unlock the bot spots with coins. But again, you earn coins fast it seems.

As for gameplay, I think they really did a nice job. I really like Flight Control, but always hated the pace at the beginning of a new game, so slow. This is paced really nicely and it improves the experience I think. Ships start on the screen slow, but once you direct them to land, they speed up.

Also, I have seen a lot of different types of ships so far that do a lot of different things, like split in 2, or fly in formation or drop drones that just sit there until you send the drones to land.

So far, I like.
03-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Game Impressions

Great core game, really mixes stuff up with combo scoring (how many ships you land of the same color in a row), and as Kennfusion just pointed out, a lot of interesting unique ships behavior (often with elements you can use to milk for bigger combos if treated carefully)!

Coins do seems to come in quickly (I just earned 1000+ on my first real game) BUT I hate games heavily laden with consumable IAP aspects at every turn INCLUDING the ability to simply buy another life once you run out. While I hope that last bit is somehow limited, I doubt it as I'm sure this game was designed to maximize profits as opposed to any ideals of pure design.

4/5

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
OpenFeint, Plus+, & Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, Crystal, & iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews