Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-15-2012, 04:22 PM
iPad (3rd Gen)

You want an impression to help you decide? I am a beta person for this, and I am seriously in love with it.

Ok: it is freakin' incredible. I don't know where to start. Like flying games? Did you like other Revo titles like F.A.S.T., Skies of Glory, Reno Air Races, and Rise of Glory?
This leaves them COMPLETELY in the dust. Yes, of course it is multiplayer. Incredible graphics. Excellent plane handling. When offline, you have great Campaign missions, plus Dogfight missions and a Survival mode.

Online game types: Cooperative Survival I which you and others pit your skills against wave after wave of Bogeys; FFA in which you and up to 7 others duke it out; Team Deathmatch, in which up to 4 players on a team are pitted against up to 4 other players from around the world; Capture the Flag, in which your team has to steal the other team's flag and return it to base while defending your own flag; Defend the Base, in which you and your team mates must destroy the enemy's several buildings while defending your own.

You can unlock content by completing campaigns and gaining rank, or by buying ace packs.

Stunningly beautiful terrain on the maps. There are cities to fly through, dodging an enemy's missiles by swooping around and among skyscrapers, flying upside down under bridges, landing on landing strips for repairs. Canyons and mountains provide eye candy and plenty of cover as well.

There are trees, buildings, skyscrapers, bridges, runways to land on for repairs, nuclear reactor silos, aircraft carriers (you can land on them), destroyers, submarines to destroy (you don't drive land or sea vehicles).

So many different jets and each type has three variations to choose from, perhaps choosing one based on the game type you will play. One campaign mission unlocks a TOTALLY sweet P-51 Mustang, which you can then take online. If you've played Revo's Breitling Reno Air Races you know how sweet Revo can make a Mustang; this one's better.

Is it like MSW/MSO? Thankfully not! You have full control of your plane, while in that other game you can't even roll your aircraft! Plus, with content unlockable by your own time and skill, it will not gouge your wallet.

I'm typing this on my phone as a passenger in a car, please forgive typos, grammatical errors, and general sloppiness. I'm in a hurry and it's a bumpy road!
Old 03-15-2012, 04:35 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Impressions on my iPhone 4 iOS 5.1

Wow... just wow. This game is incredible! I played through the entire tutorial and 1st campaign mission and I'm stunned. The graphics on the iphone 4 are amazing and no slow down at all. Even when there were 10+ planes on screen and countless objectives! Alright so Lets start here. The game offers multiple control schemes including one that uses a joystick and a few with tilt based controls(which work fantastic!). The game also features evasive maneuvers in the way metalstorm does them. The game features multiple multiplayer modes which I will try shortly after this review. So far the game is a 5/5 and the best $5 I've ever spent on the app store. This is truely a new standard in iOS gaming

I will agree though the music does get a bit annoying but I'm pretty sure it's only during cut scenes
Old 03-15-2012, 04:36 PM
iPad (3rd Gen)

There are multiple control types, I think four different control setups. But I recommend "Simulation," which gives you the most control. There is even a full auto mode, in which all you have to do is release flares, fire missiles, and shoot the machine guns! One mode makes it similar to MSO's assisted flying, but, as in MSO, you will be vulnerable to players who are using a plane's full maneuvering capabilities.

Haven't had any crashes such as the fellow above had. I recommend restarting your device after installing.

I mentioned all the planes. You get one to begin with, and you unlock others as you complete missions and rise in rank online.

Search for the Sky Gamblers Air Supremacy Fan Club on Facebook to hang and tell stories of your conquests with top pilots from this game, Revo's other games, and even MSO players. We are a friendly group. Come see us!
Old 03-15-2012, 04:39 PM
iPad (3rd Gen)

You can turn the music off or down, lol! I don't know of a game whose music I can listen to every single time I play.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:39 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frumius View Post
You want an impression to help you decide? I am a beta person for this, and I am seriously in love with it.

Ok: it is freakin' incredible. I don't know where to start. Like flying games? Did you like other Revo titles like F.A.S.T., Skies of Glory, Reno Air Races, and Rise of Glory?
This leaves them COMPLETELY in the dust. Yes, of course it is multiplayer. Incredible graphics. Excellent plane handling. When offline, you have great Campaign missions, plus Dogfight missions and a Survival mode.

Online game types: Cooperative Survival I which you and others pit your skills against wave after wave of Bogeys; FFA in which you and up to 7 others duke it out; Team Deathmatch, in which up to 4 players on a team are pitted against up to 4 other players from around the world; Capture the Flag, in which your team has to steal the other team's flag and return it to base while defending your own flag; Defend the Base, in which you and your team mates must destroy the enemy's several buildings while defending your own.

You can unlock content by completing campaigns and gaining rank, or by buying ace packs.

Stunningly beautiful terrain on the maps. There are cities to fly through, dodging an enemy's missiles by swooping around and among skyscrapers, flying upside down under bridges, landing on landing strips for repairs. Canyons and mountains provide eye candy and plenty of cover as well.

There are trees, buildings, skyscrapers, bridges, runways to land on for repairs, nuclear reactor silos, aircraft carriers (you can land on them), destroyers, submarines to destroy (you don't drive land or sea vehicles).

So many different jets and each type has three variations to choose from, perhaps choosing one based on the game type you will play. One campaign mission unlocks a TOTALLY sweet P-51 Mustang, which you can then take online. If you've played Revo's Breitling Reno Air Races you know how sweet Revo can make a Mustang; this one's better.

Is it like MSW/MSO? Thankfully not! You have full control of your plane, while in that other game you can't even roll your aircraft! Plus, with content unlockable by your own time and skill, it will not gouge your wallet.

I'm typing this on my phone as a passenger in a car, please forgive typos, grammatical errors, and general sloppiness. I'm in a hurry and it's a bumpy road!
Thanks for the impressions.
I had already bought it with the hopes that it was a good air combat of higher quality than the other ones on the app store.
Haven't had a chance to play it yet but from your details, it sounds like exactly what I was hoping.
Thanks.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:50 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Location: You'll get there eventually if you just go this way: -->

Well since I mentioned it earlyer...

Here's this games graphics on an iPod Touch 4 compared to the graphics of a similar PSP game (yes, that is a photo.):

I just don't understand what's so impressive about this.

Sorry if I'm complaining alot about iOS gaming lately, but I just feel like games people call visually stunning aren't really that great.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:55 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

I'm looking forward to some iPad 3 impressions tomorrow. Heck, I might just buy it, I wouldn't mind paying five bucks to have it as a showpiece on my new iPad.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:58 PM

That's not the best comparison screenshot.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:02 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I hope it doesn't require you to tilt a bunch. Playing metal storm on the iPad makes you look ridiculous.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:10 PM
iPad, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der-Kleine View Post
Well since I mentioned it earlyer...

Here's this games graphics on an iPod Touch 4 compared to the graphics of a similar PSP game (yes, that is a photo.):

I just don't understand what's so impressive about this.

Sorry if I'm complaining alot about iOS gaming lately, but I just feel like games people call visually stunning aren't really that great.
Not sure I understand. You're complaining about IOS gaming lately by showing a comparison screenshot of PSP Ace Combat? I ask, because the Sky Gamblers shot, makes the Ace Combat sample look seriously horrific, IMO.

Last edited by JCat; 03-15-2012 at 05:12 PM..