Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-15-2012, 08:36 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Yea what's up with the iap, I swore someone mentioned it existed in the game. I'm not seeing an option though.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:40 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Thanks. Do you happen to also have Rise of Glory? I like that game a lot, but do prefer WW1 dogfights to jet planes so not sure if I need this one as well. From looks to gameplay the two games do seem similar though from what I can tell.

What iOS version are you on? The latest couple (5.0+?) allow you to see the installed file size on your device. Very convenient.
I do have Skies of Glory. I liked that as well, but this seems to have a bit more content. There is definitely a different feel with the jets though. I just updated to the current os. Where do I see the installed size, because that IS handy, and I didn't know that was now an option.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:43 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I do have Skies of Glory. I liked that as well, but this seems to have a bit more content. There is definitely a different feel with the jets though. I just updated to the current os. Where do I see the installed size, because that IS handy, and I didn't know that was now an option.
Go to settings, then usage, and then the apps will show in a list from largest to smallest, including actual size.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:48 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Unpacked it's 444mb
Old 03-15-2012, 08:49 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Anon View Post
Go to settings, then usage, and then the apps will show in a list from largest to smallest, including actual size.
Awesome. Thanks! It is 445 mb unpacked.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:02 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Took the plunge on an iTouch 4G and... it's not that bad. At least, I tried the tutorials, and while it's clearly nowhere near as flashy as the 4S/iPad 2/futureiPad version, it's still surprisingly decent. I think the one somewhat annoying thing about it isn't the comparatively low-res textures, it's the way the level of detail is set cripplingly short, so you get entire mountain ranges taking shape right in front of you - but even without the raindrops and full reflections and all the rest of it this is still pretty neat on first impressions. Don't get me wrong, it's certainly second best, and yes, yes, I'm jealous but I certainly don't feel straight away like I wasted 2.99.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:04 PM
iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frumius View Post
You can unlock content by completing campaigns and gaining rank, or by buying ace packs.
Hmm... I'll be on a lookout for those.

Sold! (not for IAP)
Old 03-15-2012, 09:20 PM
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der-Kleine View Post
Well since I mentioned it earlyer...

Here's this games graphics on an iPod Touch 4 compared to the graphics of a similar PSP game (yes, that is a photo.):

I just don't understand what's so impressive about this.

Sorry if I'm complaining alot about iOS gaming lately, but I just feel like games people call visually stunning aren't really that great.
I get your point about graphics claiming to be brilliant not being that good.
I used to play on an iPhone 4 and I couldn't see any major graphics.
But now I'm on an iPhone 4s and an iPad 2, and the difference between them and the iPhone 4 is massive to say the least. And the gpu on the iPod touch is less than the iPhone 4.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising you or your opinion because I agree that the graphics are not great on the lower gpu devices but they are as good as they claim on the 4s or iPad 2.
I think what Apple really need to do is put an a5 chip, at least, in the next iPod touch.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:25 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Thing is, that screenshot is doing the game a disservice. I hate the cliche of 'Oh, it looks better in motion', but... it really does. Yes, the textures on the iTouch are blurry and lo-fi, cities are just grey blocks scattered around, terrain changes shape right in front of you etc., etc., I'm not blind. But a static screen doesn't show how neat the volumetric clouds still look, or the lighting, or the way the sunlight looks on the plane, or its surfaces moving, or self-shadowing... again, this game does not look anywhere near as good on the old hardware as the modern handsets/tablets, I'm not arguing that for a second. But that screenshot is making it look significantly worse than it actually is, no question.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:57 PM
iPhone 4

@Der-Kleine I played both games in your screenshot and I have to say the terrain definitely looks better in Ace Combat: JA, but the plane models in SG:AS is much sharper and less jagged.

That being said, I do think SG:AS feels a bit too arcadey especially with the inclusion of gesture maneuvers, and over-agile planes. But hey, that only contributes to a fast paced and more chaotic aerial combat.

Loving the game btw, fantastic graphics and comfortable controls. The lenient and fair weapon system (no IAP weapons YAY!) makes multiplayer matches extremely fun to play.