★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Power Toppler: WTF Hard?

05-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Power Toppler: WTF Hard?

Ok let me start out by saying that I am in no way, shape, or form the best at games. With that being said though, I am most certainly not the worst either. Most all iPhone games I have gotten, I have beaten relatively easy (With the exception of lvl 14 on MGS Touch...uhg). Another exception... is this game... Silver Softwear's Power Toppler, which is a remake of Nebulus, or Tower Toppler, whichever you want to call it. This game is pretty fun... well the first level is. It adds challenge and thats cool, I love a good challenge. But the FIRST floor of the SECOND level is retarded. Literally, the first part where you have to jump over the ball of death going up and down seperating you on an elevating platform from the other platform you have to jump on, is f**king impossible. I have tried nearly, but appearently not, every conceivable angle to get passed this. I have had my friends try it, and none of them can do it either.

Has anyone else gotten passed it? I saw one guy who gave his review on iTunes that made it to lvl 6, and everyone else seemed to be stuck at lvl 2 as well.

Am I about the only retarded one? hahaahaha it just bugs the crap out of me that I payed 1.99 for a game that I literally can't get passed lvl2 on. I love a good challenge... but not one that you simply cannot do lol.

Last edited by Booch138; 05-14-2009 at 06:46 PM.
05-14-2009, 06:48 PM
The original game of Nebulus was always hard. I spent hours and hours of my childhood playing way back then. Hours of good hard challenging fun. And a great sense of satisfaction when I beat all levels.

So as soon as I saw Power Toppler it was an instant purchase. While level 2 is difficult it can be done. I haven't played it for a while but I am currently on level 6. I am aware of at least one forum member who has finished Power Toppler - @spmwinkel.

Believe it or not Power Toppler is easier to play than the original game. When I played Nebulus on my C64 you started the game with 3 lives. And you could not save the game. You had to finish the game in one sitting! As a result I've progressed much more quickly through Power Toppler than I did in Nebulus.

EDIT: I just went back and replayed the beginning of Tower 2. Go to the right and jump across to the first lift. Stand on the lift and wait for the sun to come across the screen and then ride the lift up out of the way. This should give you enough time to time your jump across to the second lift without the sun knocking you off the platform. The timing of the jump is the key. And this will depend on how fast you are when you jump. My reflexes are just average which means I am slow to jump. I wait until the enemy is going down and the top of the enemy touches the bottom edge of the third brick above the enemy. Then I jump and I keep moving until I am on the left edge of the second lift. That way I am not slightly over the right edge of the lift where the enemy can knock me off. When you jump the temptation is to wait until the enemy is not in the space that you jump across. But if you wait for the space to be clear then the enemy will hit you as it comes up before you have finished jumping across to the second lift.

Last edited by snow_mani; 05-14-2009 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Added tip for making jump to second lift.
05-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_mani View Post
The original game of Nebulus was always hard. I spent hours and hours of my childhood playing way back then. Hours of good hard challenging fun. And a great sense of satisfaction when I beat all levels.

So as soon as I saw Power Toppler it was an instant purchase. While level 2 is difficult it can be done. I haven't played it for a while but I am currently on level 6. I am aware of at least one forum member who has finished Power Toppler - @spmwinkel.

Believe it or not Power Toppler is easier to play than the original game. When I played Nebulus on my C64 you started the game with 3 lives. And you could not save the game. You had to finish the game in one sitting! As a result I've progressed much more quickly through Power Toppler than I did in Nebulus.

EDIT: I just went back and replayed the beginning of Tower 2. Go to the right and jump across to the first lift. Stand on the lift and wait for the sun to come across the screen and then ride the lift up out of the way. This should give you enough time to time your jump across to the second lift without the sun knocking you off the platform. The timing of the jump is the key. And this will depend on how fast you are when you jump. My reflexes are just average which means I am slow to jump. I wait until the enemy is going down and the top of the enemy touches the bottom edge of the third brick above the enemy. Then I jump and I keep moving until I am on the left edge of the second lift. That way I am not slightly over the right edge of the lift where the enemy can knock me off. When you jump the temptation is to wait until the enemy is not in the space that you jump across. But if you wait for the space to be clear then the enemy will hit you as it comes up before you have finished jumping across to the second lift.
Holy hell I did it! hahahahaa Thanks for the help man. I really appriciate it.

By the way I would have killed myself If I had to do this in one sitting with only 3 lives.
05-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booch138 View Post
If I had to do this in one sitting with only 3 lives.
I donŽt even want to think about that.

Congrats on passing that first floor of the second level. The levels will continue to grow harder in the first level pack (8 levels), but they ARE possible. I found levels 9-16 to be relatively easy compared to the first 8, but of course that is because youŽll have the experience of the first 8 levels by the time you get to level 9. From that point on, there are some new twists you have to figure out, but thereŽs no more increasing difficulty.

Stefan