★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad 3 gaming - 48hrs observations

03-18-2012, 09:19 PM
iPad 3 gaming - 48hrs observations

Previously using iPad 1, purchased iPad 3 Friday.

Early observations:

Retina screen lives up to the hype. Deep colors and razor sharpness really make this screen pop. Not a tremendous difference from iPad 1 but a significant, noticable difference.

All existing ipad titles I have, testing 25 of the 588(!) I own looked and play fabulously. Framerates and visuals were fantastic on all tested previously owned games.

Purchased and ran all new rertina titles available, some observations:

Infinity Blade 2, Air Supremacy and MC3 run and look fabulous! Really a sight to behold on a device running in your hands.

Real Racing 2 has frame rate issues with in-car view. Bumper view looks and plays great. They need to fix the in-car view.

Galaxy on Fire 2 looks insane but has noticable frame rate issues. Luckily, the devs put a detail slider in options which, when set to medium, runs much better without too much visual loss.

MY 35 years of gaming lead me to believe the frame rate issues I have witnessed on these graphically intense games is due to lack of cpu/gpu power. 2048 res is asking a whole lot of this little machine to produce with smooth framerates. Dont not think Devs are going to be able to go all out with 2048 visuals in fast moving games this generation of iPad. Probably will take iPad 4 or 5 to reach that level.

- Important - Game developers will be wise to include a detail slider (a la GOF2) to help players smooth out gameplay on these demanding titles to their acceptable thresholds.

When I heard of the 2048 res on new iPad, I was concerned about framerates. Thats a LOT of pixels to push in a fast moving game, even for a new desktop pc or mac. Seems that some of those concerns are evident in some of these early titles. Perhaps some optimization can help these titles,
but I believe a lot of these titles will be on the edge this generation.

Overall, I love the new iPad.
03-18-2012, 09:40 PM
so detailed,thx.
noted the framerate issue, will try not make it happen on my games.

03-18-2012, 10:20 PM
Same experiences as yours re: frame rate. Asphalt 6 is also a little choppy in spots.

The main problems appear to be 3D-rendered games, predictably enough. I think the solution, aside from detail sliders, may be for devs to render at a slightly reduced resolution, possibly overlaying HUD, text, and other 2D properties at native resolution for clarity.

This is a pretty typical technique on consoles, if it's done right with anti-aliasing and such it shouldn't be very apparent.
03-19-2012, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
- Important - Game developers will be wise to include a detail slider (a la GOF2) to help players smooth out gameplay on these demanding titles to their acceptable thresholds.
The problem I have with the GOF2 HD quality slider is that it eliminates smoke and fog, which is an important part of the game to give a sense of depth and movement in space. I suspect it is the abundant use of bump-mapping that is causing the game to seriously struggle when objects such as space-stations and asteroids are rendered over a large portion of the screen when they're in close proximity.

Besides, there is something fundamentally wrong with a game when you have to rely on quality sliders to make it run successfully on the most powerful device on the iOS platform. (and the frame-rate is still choppy at times even if you do)
03-19-2012, 01:48 AM
Just about what i expected .The retina resolution is simply too much for what's under the hood in the new ipad .
03-19-2012, 02:18 AM
I am a beliver of the iOS gaming, i think that a huge progress has been putted on the iOS plataform in the gaming aspect, it's pretty known that iOS has more games "new" if i can use the word, than the classics: COD, GOW, Mortal Kombat, Final Fantasy and a big list of games renamed. And that is the good and bad aspect of the iOS gaming, it is necessary a little more of time to the developers can pay more attention in the plataform, as we can see, with the pass of the year it is been going a better plataform for gaming, not a remplacement olataform, instead a new category of the gaming world, the plataform that has touch screen and intuitive games, but not only casuals and less enjoyable.
03-19-2012, 02:54 AM
Send a message via ICQ to spajdr
Well .. thats disappointing news to heard of fps issues. Now im not sure if i should buy new Ipad.
03-19-2012, 01:41 PM
My feelings on the new iPad are, if you are upgrading from the 1st gen iPad it's a vast improvement. If you already have an iPad 2, and you can live without a retina screen and a slightly improved graphics chip I would wait for the 4th generation iPad. As I feel that with the app sizes for retina screen will soon fill a 32 and 64G quite quickly. Hopefully the next model will include bigger hard drives.
For the record I upgraded from the 1st gen iPad and I am more than happy with my purchase apart with it getting slightly warm when use graphic intensive apps, same issue I found with the iPhone 3GS
03-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboy74 View Post
My feelings on the new iPad are, if you are upgrading from the 1st gen iPad it's a vast improvement. If you already have an iPad 2, and you can live without a retina screen and a slightly improved graphics chip I would wait for the 4th generation iPad. As I feel that with the app sizes for retina screen will soon fill a 32 and 64G quite quickly. Hopefully the next model will include bigger hard drives.
For the record I upgraded from the 1st gen iPad and I am more than happy with my purchase apart with it getting slightly warm when use graphic intensive apps, same issue I found with the iPhone 3GS
The graphics chip is not just "slightly improved."

To put things in perspective, my new Vita has occasional framerate issues, too; the 3DS did as well. It's not surprising that the first games to be converted/released would have not be fully optimized for the platform.
03-20-2012, 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
The graphics chip is not just "slightly improved."

To put things in perspective, my new Vita has occasional framerate issues, too; the 3DS did as well. It's not surprising that the first games to be converted/released would have not be fully optimized for the platform.
I haven't seen any framerate issues at all on my Vita in fact it's actually playing HD videos my main PC struggles with but your point is still valid especially with launch titles.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out