Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-21-2012, 09:42 AM
kpao kpao is offline
Member
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 39
Default Infinite Flight Developer checking in! :)

Hello Gabrien,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Played for another hour or so, enough to check out all the planes and try a few landings, and feel pretty much like I'm "done." The problem is, there is just nothing remarkable or outstanding about the game. Not even really much above average. It's competent enough and it gets by, but with literally hundreds of other apps vying for my attention I don't see myself returning to this one.

What would have changed my mind? Flawless frame rate and some ground detail that actually made it interesting to fly from one place to another might have made all the difference.
I'm one of the developers of Infinite Flight. We understand what you mean, we were supposed to ship the game with more airplanes but had to pull some out due to a certification issue we've had with Apple. They are coming back very soon. (747, F/A-18, C17, Spitfire and more...)

As to being bored in the game, it has been a remark we've received numerous times from our Windows Phones users for the past 11 months it's been in the market.
To fix this problem, we'll bring new missions in an upcoming update (not the next one, but the one after that).
We'll have precision landing missions, formation flight, airshow formation flight, space shuttle landing.
Here's a video of the airshow formation, it's quite challenging
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcplkwv-M9A

Do not hesitate to let us know if you have any feedback, we have a uservoice site for that, we listen to our users and implement the top suggestions.

Thanks a lot for trying the game out, we hope our next updates will bring you back to it

--
Matt
Flying Development Studio
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-21-2012, 09:47 AM
kpao kpao is offline
Member
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 39
Default Infinite Flight Developer Checking in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunxsword View Post
The inevitable question: how does this compare to X-Plane (not content wise)?
Infinite Flight Developer here, being also a civilian flight sim, we're quite similar, although we have a few different features and details that differ from the competitors.

One thing we like to point out is the reset options, when you have crashed, you can reset the airplane 20 seconds before the crash to try again, this avoid the penalty and frustration of having to restart a whole flight just because you had the wrong throttle setting on final approach.
Infinite Flight also allows you to select the exact runways you'd like to start from. We have different layouts based on the platform you use, buttons won't be at the same position on the iPad and on the iPhone for example.
One thing we also try to do is to listen to our users, we prioritize features based on the feedback we get from our users on http://feedback.flyingdevstudio.com

We're working hard to bring iPad3 Retina display support within the next few days. We're entering beta later today

--
Matt
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Ayjona Ayjona is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,640
Default

While I probably won't play this myself, it's great to see games like this on the platform. Broadens the appeal of iOS gaming, takes yet another step towards us abandoning our clumsy desktop boxes (and those outdated, peculiar plastic thingies people put in front of equally ancient TVs and use to play games with inferior diversity, depth, dynamic design, graphics, accuracy of controls and quality of original thought and design ) and and adds another hardcore niche to counter the perception of iOS as a casual platform.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-22-2012, 09:43 AM
sakinnuso sakinnuso is offline
Senior Member
iPad
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 147
Default impressions

Already, your tutorial is better than X-plane...because there IS a tutorial!! X-plane just dropped players in, with no assistance at all. Every time I tried playing that game, I would crash without ever knowing why. After multiple times of frustration, I was simply annoyed and chalked the game up to being too hard-core for me.

Right off the bat, your menu interface is a lot simpler and cleaner. I was able to get into the game and I didn't crash immediately! Any of the errors that I had, were my own. I'm not great with tilt screen technology, so every once in a while I would lose control and oversteer. However, once I was able to understand what I was doing wrong, I would recalibrate the controls and was back on my way towards a pleasant flight experience.

I really like this game so far, and intend to spend more time with it in the future. Unlike X-plane, I don't feel like the money spent was wasted.

The upcoming updates sound fantastic, and I am looking forward to trying them out! The only real problem I have mirrors what other people have said. I wish that there were more interesting texture backgrounds, and more landmarks to see. I am in California, and would love to see more recognizable landmarks. I had the privilege to fly a Cessna one time in one of those one day flight tutorials, and that was a thrilling experience that I hope Infinite Flight recaptures. Improving the scenery would go a loooong way! Landing at LAX and seeing the city and 405 would be amazing!

Also, are there any plans to include things like helicopters in the game? There aren't any helicopters in many of these flight games, and I really want to know what it feels like to fly a helicopter. If you can include a space shuttle, a helicopter isn't much to ask for right?

Lastly, during the tutorial I tried to land at the Palo Alto Airport. I got bored and decided to jump ahead and selected the Palo Alto Airport on my mini map. I navigated successfully through the Red guideposts(awesome addution and really intuitive implementation via tapping your destination!), but was unable to find any type of landing controls. Can you currently land or crash airplanes?

my plane simply...stopped. on the ground. engine still going. Will you be adding landing and takeoff procedures?

Last edited by sakinnuso; 03-22-2012 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-22-2012, 10:03 AM
kpao kpao is offline
Member
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakinnuso View Post
Already, your tutorial is better than X-plane...because there IS a tutorial!! X-plane just dropped players in, with no assistance at all. Every time I tried playing that game, I would crash without ever knowing why. After multiple times of frustration, I was simply annoyed and chalked the game up to being too hard-core for me.
Thanks, great feedback. We sometimes get complaints about the tutorial, but as least we have one We're thinking of adding new ones in the future. We're a small team so scheduling is tight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakinnuso View Post
Right off the bat, your menu interface is a lot simpler and cleaner. I was able to get into the game and I didn't crash immediately! Any of the errors that I had, were my own. I'm not great with tilt screen technology, so every once in a while I would lose control and oversteer. However, once I was able to understand what I was doing wrong and recalibrate the controls, I was back on my way towards a pleasant flight experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakinnuso View Post
I really like this game so far, and intend to spend more time with it in the future. Unlike X-plane, I don't feel like the money spent was wasted.
A lot of what drives Infinite Flight is from what's missing or frustrating in the other simulators out there, so we're not surprised by what you writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakinnuso View Post
The upcoming updates sound fantastic, and I am looking forward to trying them out! The only real problem I have mirrors what other people have said. I wish that there were more interesting texture backgrounds, and more landmarks to see. I am in California, and would love to see more recognizable landmarks. I had the privilege to fly a Cessna one time in one of those one day flight tutorials, and that was a thrilling experience that I would hope this game recaptures.
There simply isn't much to look at, and I really hope that this changes.
We've got much more content lined up! Next update will bring one new airplane and iPad3 support as well as other small tweaks. We're trying to find out what has caused our initial rejection from Apple before we can add more airplanes in the game. We had to take some of the airplanes out because of that. To make it up to our users, we decided that we'll keep adding free planes until we can fix the in app purchases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakinnuso View Post
Also, are there any plans to include things like helicopters in the game? There aren't any helicopters in many of these flight games, and I really want to know what it feels like to fly a helicopter. If you can include a space shuttle, a helicopter isn't much to ask for right?
The space shuttle is in there, we haven't been able to add it due to the certification issues again. We have a nice landing mission with 4 levels of difficulty. Also, in the next updates, we'll bring more missions, including landing challenges, formation flights and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakinnuso View Post
Lastly, during the tutorial I tried to land at the Palo Alto Airport. I got bored and decided to jump ahead and selected the Palo Alto Airport on my mini map. I navigated successfully through the Red guideposts(awesome addution and really intuitive implementation via taooing your destination!), but was unable to find any type of landing controls. Can you currently land or crash airplanes?

my plane simply...stopped. on the ground. engine still going. Will you be adding landing and takeoff procedures?
There isn't any "landing control", you just have to fly through the squares, slow the airplane down to around 50/55kts, set the flaps to 20/30 degees, flare above the runway and you'll land. There isn't any rewards, just the personal satisfaction of having landed
Don't worry about crashing, bouncing, veering off the runway, it takes practice.
As to crashing, yes you can, just try to jam the airplane into the ground, you'll see it can crash hehe

Thanks for the great feedback, keep it coming
Also, if you have the time, feel free to leave a review of Infinite Flight in the App Store. We're a very small team and reviews help us tremendously!

--
Matt
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Howard Howard is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 147
Default

Hi guys,

For what it's worth, I really don't see a reason to compare Infinite Flight with X-Plane. They are both excellent flight simulators and each have their own strengths. I think the developers of Infinite Flight are exceptionally dedicated to the improvement and continuance of this app and are not diverted to other projects.

If you are looking for a very good Helicopter sim, the one I like is "H-Elite". It does an excellent job of modelling the characteristics and aerodynamics of a Helicopter and is on the App Storefor $3.99.

Again, I think we all have a lot to look forward to with Infinite Flight and I am really enjoying it right now.

Howard
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Brendonian Brendonian is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 162
Default

The first thing I've noticed is it doesn't seem to properly support multitasking

If I quit the app and restart, it looks like it's going to resume but then crashes.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-22-2012, 12:13 PM
Brendonian Brendonian is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 162
Default

Oh, and the next thing I discovered is that a slightly aggressive use of the rudder will put the aircraft into a spin which results in the app crashing

I was quite impressed with the Windows Phone 7 version of Infinite Flight, so I know it's going to get better, but for now I'm a little disappointed.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Zemar Zemar is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denmark
Posts: 394
Default

Brillant game I have to say, but I have a question/problem. Sometimes the left/right controls gets inverted by themselves or maybe I'm touching som settings? So when I tilt to the left, the plane would go to the right and when I tilt to the right the plane would go left.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-23-2012, 02:23 AM
kpao kpao is offline
Member
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemar View Post
Brillant game I have to say, but I have a question/problem. Sometimes the left/right controls gets inverted by themselves or maybe I'm touching som settings? So when I tilt to the left, the plane would go to the right and when I tilt to the right the plane would go left.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
We've received reports of this but we haven't been able to repro this. Try to calibrate the controls again. Our only guess is that users are changing orientation after calibrating the controls. (switching the home button from left to right or vice versa)

If you have a way to consistently reproduce this issue, we'd love to know how

Thanks!
Matt
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent